Official 2013 Forum Knife Picture Thread!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

OK, spent about an hour and a half to bring it to 15 degrees (30 included) this afternoon after work, so here's the new one. Smooth, tight, sturdy, clean, beautifully made (thanks again Sal & company). Enjoy the pictures!

Oh, it is too cloudy out today (never happens in Tucson, usually) so the color balance is way off, darker than it shows in these images, so I'll guess I'll have to reshoot on a brighter day to show off the color & finish a bit better. This is too bland and doesn't do the scales justice.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Nice pics..
I found it real hard to get anything from the camera that looks like the color of the scales in person. Even to the eye, they change in color with lighting. You got closer than I did, but I find the scales on mine to be more grey, with just a hint of green.
What did you use to sharpen it?

Phil
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Just got mine today and only opened/closed it around 50 times...still I guess, sluggish, for lack of a better word. This is my first Native so wasn't sure if the break I'm experiencing is just a Nativism. Thanks, all!

Adam
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

I use the Gatco system with guided rods. Started with their coarse diamond stone, then medium and fine. After that went to their natural stones, medium, fine, ultra fine & white ceramic type for the finish. Did a little strop to buff the edge with 6m diamond paste, but it isn't a mirror finish at this point, just shiny & sharp. Looking forward to some cutting at work to give it a chance to show what it can do (just boxes, paper, straps, usual office stuff).
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Great looking edge Nose. :)
noseoil wrote:OK, spent about an hour and a half to bring it to 15 degrees (30 included) this afternoon after work, so here's the new one. Smooth, tight, sturdy, clean, beautifully made (thanks again Sal & company). Enjoy the pictures!

Oh, it is too cloudy out today (never happens in Tucson, usually) so the color balance is way off, darker than it shows in these images, so I'll guess I'll have to reshoot on a brighter day to show off the color & finish a bit better. This is too bland and doesn't do the scales justice.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

trevitace wrote:Just got mine today and only opened/closed it around 50 times...still I guess, sluggish, for lack of a better word. This is my first Native so wasn't sure if the break I'm experiencing is just a Nativism. Thanks, all!
I have 4 Native 5 knives. They are all that way. It is one of the reasons that I don't carry them more. The two forum knives, if anything, are a bit smoother and lighter than my other two. Still, far from being "flickable" or fluid.

OTH, they are well built with no play at all when locked.

I really hesitated about buying the forum knives because I am not a huge fan of the Native 5. I went for it because of the S110V and ... well, it is a forum knife.

Phil
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

amazing f&f on this model!

Greens by Agent_Ohm, on Flickr
In omnia paratus
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Here's mine, along with the 2003 and 2009 Spyderco Forums Natives

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very nice paul!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

you guys are making my wait very painful :(
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
hom76

Post by hom76 »

I got this beauty from postman on Monday and it has been in my pocket since then!

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Mine came in yesterday, just a quick cellphone photo:

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Guys. Great pictures. Keep them coming. I am really enjoying my knife. After I started to carry it for some reason I developed irresistible desire to cut cardboard and knife still can push cut a paper.
Clip wrote: Looks great, fits the hand well, Roman might be on to something with his Native craze.
For some reason I thought that I am not alone :o . Natives were always great knives, Native5 is just better than ever. I still using my S35N Native as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

The finest back lock I've handled yet.
:cool: :spyder:
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well I aint gotta digital camera only a phone and dont know how to post pics sooo.. And I missed out on ordering the knife cause I aint too computer savy either but endgame came to the rescue on a Forum knife.. Thanks Pat!! This is my first Forum, Native and it ROCKS!! There are some great people on here and want to extend a BIG THANK YOU!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jmh58 wrote:Well I aint gotta digital camera only a phone and dont know how to post pics sooo.. And I missed out on ordering the knife cause I aint too computer savy either but endgame came to the rescue on a Forum knife.. Thanks Pat!! This is my first Forum, Native and it ROCKS!! There are some great people on here and want to extend a BIG THANK YOU!! John
Download the Photobucket app...that'll get you posting pics in no time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Got mine this week :)

Together with the my other Forum Knives :)

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Tried carrying in lefty configuration for a while, but I couldn't carry it any more without something different. The clip mod like the one done by countless others (most recently by senorsquare) make this a whole new knife.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Mine came in today, my first experience with the native model, I like it. Pretty much delica sized, fatter than I expected, quite a stout wee knife.
I never used to like back locks but spyderco totally changed my view of them, the native is very smooth and falls closed under its own weight.
My natural grip was to not use the choil, but once I started cutting I found the forward grip more comfortable and offers more control. The hump on the underside of the handle became a hot spot after a while, but not too bad.
The factory edge was pretty good and was close to 15dps with a more acute tip, I ran it through a bunch of cardboard, the edge rolled slightly in several places at the apex but otherwise held up well.

Currently working on the edge but I'm out of sandpaper, will update tomorrow with some nicer pics. I expect some good results with a polished 30inc and 40micro.

I see, said the blind man.