Navigator and friends

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
DJFrostbyte

Navigator and friends

Post by DJFrostbyte »

I bought a Navigator and I wanted to show it off. As far as I can tell this is a relatively rare knife being plain edge and VG-10 (please correct me if i'm wrong). But I took some pictures with other small spydies I had laying around to show size comparison. What I can say: the navigator is a very comfortable knife. Very capable and very well constructed.

Navigator with Cat

Navigator with Dragonfly Salt

All 3 open

All 3 closed

Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love that knife and a sprint would be nice. Nice pics, and thanks for sharing. Enjoy it. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Great pics, thanks for sharing. You just made me want that knife.... :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Navigator is part of an interesting line of knives that Sal started early in the Spyderco line. The first was the Co-Pilot in 1987, followed by the Pegasus (as an experimental design from 1996), then the Navigator in 1997 and the Navigator 2 in 2005, and lately by the Lava (2006-2008). The Co-Pilot was originally intended for an earlier age of jet airplane travel, when no knives with blades over 2" were allowed onboard. I carried one for many years during airline travel - and it garnered a lot of favorable attention from security screeners. :)

TedP
mattman

Post by mattman »

Looks *kinda* like a Meerkat, too? How closely related?
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Anecdotally, I think the Ironstone editions of the navigator are the most rare (these are the ones with the slab sides). I seem to see these for sale far less often than the other variants. But this is just my observation, I'm not sure how many of each were produced.

Even so, nice score and pics! I'm a huge fan of the entire Navigator line myself. The IS-CX02P was my second or third EDC (can't remember back that far). I still have and use that knife to this day.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

bengaiser wrote:Anecdotally, I think the Ironstone editions of the navigator are the most rare (these are the ones with the slab sides). I seem to see these for sale far less often than the other variants. But this is just my observation, I'm not sure how many of each were produced.

Even so, nice score and pics! I'm a huge fan of the entire Navigator line myself. The IS-CX02P was my second or third EDC (can't remember back that far). I still have and use that knife to this day.
Thanks for the great information bengaiser! I am always impressed at the knowledge of the people here on these forums. Either way I love the knife! Perfect small package for EDC and great VG-10 cutting performance and edge retention. My only complaint is the one position clip which is tip down. :( But over all, its got a very unique look. The scales almost look blu-ish... which doesn't really come through in the pictures.
*** Supposedly this was purchased for Sal himself at an OKCA show a few years ago and was never used. The clip has a number on it... but it looks like a sticker. It is NOT etched into the steel. I'm not sure if that was just an auction number or if it means something else. Can anyone shed any light on this? I will get pics when I can. I'm about to leave for work!

Rob
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Great post and pics. The Navi is my favorite LBK of all time. The handle ergos are perfect and nice NKP friendly size. I like it better than the respected Dragonfly!! I have 3 of them. One blue slotted almite like yours and two SS handled saber ground versions. One of the SS ones is to be rescaled with carbon fiber or exotic wood when I can find someone who can and wants to do the mods for me. Might be a life quest as it stands today.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Would you mind posting a pic of the number? I came across a numbered edition with the number etched into the clip many years and have seen one or two since then. These are pretty unusual since Spyderco has not numbered any other knife clip that I'm aware of. And why would you, since the clip is easy to swap / replace / remove.

I recall a vague conversation on the forums a long time ago where Sal mentioned that no one at Spyderco could remember numbering these in this way, but I can't find that post now.

If anyone else has info on these clip numbers I would be interested to hear about it.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

bengaiser wrote:Would you mind posting a pic of the number? I came across a numbered edition with the number etched into the clip many years and have seen one or two since then. These are pretty unusual since Spyderco has not numbered any other knife clip that I'm aware of. And why would you, since the clip is easy to swap / replace / remove.

I recall a vague conversation on the forums a long time ago where Sal mentioned that no one at Spyderco could remember numbering these in this way, but I can't find that post now.

If anyone else has info on these clip numbers I would be interested to hear about it.
I will post a picture of the clip when i get home from work.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

[ATTACH]22184[/ATTACH]
My Navigator SE and his cousin Experimental :)
Thanks for sharing
Attachments
Experimental Navigator 2.jpg
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Sorry it took me so long to get the picture up and for the poor quality. Had to take it with my cell phone. The number appears to be on a sticker but it does not feel raised. Its hard to explain but I dont think it can come off.

bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Interesting, I've never seen a number anything like this one. The two I have seen were engraved on the clip just above the etched Spyder bug before the bend down to the three clip screws (with the knife in the same orientation as above).