Show Your Patina!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
d.2.the.p

Show Your Patina!

Post by d.2.the.p »

I just got my SB Caly 3 in yesterday and put a grapefruit patina on it overnight. This is my first non-stainless knife, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

[ATTACH]21453[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0168 - Copy.JPG
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

Nice. That looks awesome. Can you please give me the rundown on the process for doing that?
Holland

Post by Holland »

Irelander wrote:Nice. That looks awesome. Can you please give me the rundown on the process for doing that?
just stab a grape fruit ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Irelander wrote:Nice. That looks awesome. Can you please give me the rundown on the process for doing that?
Definitely!

First, I got a small bottle of Tuf-Glide with the needle applicator and carefully coated the inside of the tang and pivot area with Tuf-Glide (I didn't disassemble the knife at all) so as to prevent anything within the handle area from growing patina.

Next, I got a large grapefruit and stuck the knife into the fruit as far as I wanted patina showing. I did it all the way past the handle so that the tang has patina all the way up to the handle when open, but this ever so slightly affects the smoothness of opening and closing since the tang is patinaed and comes in contact with the liner. That's just your personal preference.

When inserting the blade, I steered clear of the middle of the fruit due to the thick center which would be devoid of acidic fruit juice and have left a relatively blank area on the blade. I also stuck it in parallel to the axis of the fruit so as to avoid the lines that would be cause by the sections of the fruit. I don't know if that makes sense. However, if you're looking for a star design of sort, ignore all of this, and do the opposite.

Then I just let it sit overnight. If you want it lighter in color, only leave it in for a few hours. In the morning, I pulled it out and made sure the patina looked the way I wanted it; wiped it off with a wet cloth and made sure there was no fruit, juice, or rust anywhere; oiled it; and then applied Tuf-glide to the entire blade to lock in the patina as is.

Simple enough, and I think it looks great.
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Holland wrote:

This PM looks freaking amazing.
Holland

Post by Holland »

d.2.the.p wrote:This PM looks freaking amazing.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

d.2.the.p wrote:Definitely!

First, I got a small bottle of Tuf-Glide with the needle applicator and carefully coated the inside of the tang and pivot area with Tuf-Glide (I didn't disassemble the knife at all) so as to prevent anything within the handle area from growing patina.

Next, I got a large grapefruit and stuck the knife into the fruit as far as I wanted patina showing. I did it all the way past the handle so that the tang has patina all the way up to the handle when open, but this ever so slightly affects the smoothness of opening and closing since the tang is patinaed and comes in contact with the liner. That's just your personal preference.

When inserting the blade, I steered clear of the middle of the fruit due to the thick center which would be devoid of acidic fruit juice and have left a relatively blank area on the blade. I also stuck it in parallel to the axis of the fruit so as to avoid the lines that would be cause by the sections of the fruit. I don't know if that makes sense. However, if you're looking for a star design of sort, ignore all of this, and do the opposite.

Then I just let it sit overnight. If you want it lighter in color, only leave it in for a few hours. In the morning, I pulled it out and made sure the patina looked the way I wanted it; wiped it off with a wet cloth and made sure there was no fruit, juice, or rust anywhere; oiled it; and then applied Tuf-glide to the entire blade to lock in the patina as is.

Simple enough, and I think it looks great.
Thanks man. I have a ESEE Izula II that needs stripped and a good patina. Yours does look great. I need to buy some grapefruit anyway.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Irelander wrote:Thanks man. I have a ESEE Izula II that needs stripped and a good patina. Yours does look great. I need to buy some grapefruit anyway.
Thank you. Also, check out this thread that I found on an ESEE forum. http://jungletraining.com/forums/showth ... -questions

Some of the forced patinas look outstanding. Apparently someone got some sponges and soaked them in gun blue and laid them out on the blades to get a really cool looking patina. Might be worth a shot too.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I did this schrade old timer(1095) with gun blue.

computernut

Post by computernut »

My new Caly3 SB: (white wine vinegar for 30min)

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Did this with coffee grounds.

Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Nice shots toddles! love it when you can see the bluish purple stains
-Spencer

Rotation:
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Bit better lighting

kromo

Post by kromo »

Toddles wrote:Did this with coffee grounds.

can you explain the all process. please
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Sure.

After I made my coffee this morning:

I took a small plate and folded up a paper towel and placed it on the plate.
I then spread some of the used grounds out on the paper towel.
I took the blade out of the Caly and laid it on the grounds.
I then spread some grounds on top.
I placed another folded paper towel over the top.
I then poured a bit of fresh hot coffee over the paper towel sandwich and let it sit for about an hour.

Afterwards I took it out and rinsed it off in hot water.

Then I grabbed some of the really fine grounds that stick to the sides of my grinder and more or less made a paste out of it with a bit of hot water on in my hand.

I spread that on the blade and let it sit for a bit then rinsed it off. (This seemed to add a bit of the golden tones)

I've no idea how well this works universally. I was using a pretty strong breakfast blend.
kromo

Post by kromo »

tks a lot :)
maybe i will try it on my edc delica. afraid to do that on native5...
****..i need more knifes,
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

It's only going to work on a non-stainless steel.