Show Your Patina!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
SpeedHoles

Re: Show Your Patina!

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nasgul wrote: Sorry SpeedHoles, I remember I saw this pic, the 1st one, but didn't see much the patina, it's light compare to the patina on the ESEE.
May be the heat treatment like Brock O Lee said, was different.

Anyway, I will look to get more informations on this steel ! :)
No need to apologize. :) Yeah the patina seems a little light in the photo, but I was trying to get more light reflection to show the bluing and color on the patina.
I have also somewhat tried to keep it from getting overly dark and corroded by keeping it clean and slightly oiled. I let it go a few times and it got some rusty pits.
Going back to Caly.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Ok, I see what you wanted to show in the pic :)
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So I received my Mantra back in January and decided to see what would happen with it if I made it a dedicated apple knife. Well here are the before and after pictures. The first image is before the first apple, here:

I took a picture everyday at work after the apple and the patina slowly formed. But it definitely wasn't uniform across the blade, I'm not sure why since the blade was always completely covered with juice from the apple. The end result after about 30 apples give or take was this:

Maybe it is where I live, but in my experience M4 is pretty resistant to corrosion compared to what I read online. I find most people have issues with rusting etc but I've never had that issue. I don't oil my knives (even superblue) and they all look like the day I got them (aside from wear). I tried to force a patina back in the day on my original Gayle Bradley and I was amazed how much work it took to get any kind of result. It must be the climate here that helps or something.

Anyway, I wasn't happy with the boring patina my Mantra had and I was stuck at home for the last few days sick and well...I got bored. So I used some fritz on the blade which effectively hit the reset button and then forced a patina with some mustard. The result is this:

I'm actually pretty happy with it. It is very close to what I was hoping for with the added surprise of some blue tones in there. So now that the knife has a nice patina it will go into the EDC rotation and become a general utility knife.

Thanks for looking.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My M4 Manix 2 got spot rust just from carrying it, even AFTER wiping it down with Tuf-Glide. After that I washed the blade and forced a patina with white vinegar and it still got spotty. I think a lot of it is the acidity of one's body sweat.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

Nice pattern LC! :spyder:
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
harronek

Post by harronek »

ZDP 189 does take on a patina over time

Ken
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Got this real nice blue starting to form on my Delica

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Holland

Post by Holland »

I wish it stayed blue instead of eventually darkening to grey
-Spencer

Rotation:
Holland

Post by Holland »

M4 goodness

-Spencer

Rotation:
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
hom76

Post by hom76 »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Question for those who have formed a natural patina with use...How do you wipe your blades down after use? Do you wash the residue off? If you just wipe it and let it dry, do you bother wiping in any particular direction? Seems to me that wiping down the blade could result in the residue left on the blade forming a streaky patina?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:Question for those who have formed a natural patina with use...How do you wipe your blades down after use? Do you wash the residue off? If you just wipe it and let it dry, do you bother wiping in any particular direction? Seems to me that wiping down the blade could result in the residue left on the blade forming a streaky patina?
I cut up fruit or meet and then usually let it sit there while I eat then with soap and water I wipe it down with my fingers then dry with a towel. With the towel I start at the spine and draw towards the edge to ensure I don't cut the towel :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Patina action from cutting up one Kiwi on new Caly 3 SB, amazing how fast SB reacts.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."