Show Your Patina!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
JSumm

Re: Show Your Patina!

Post by JSumm »

warriorsociologist wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:03 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:58 pm
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:27 pm
@Manixguy@1994 --- Dan, how are your liners? I have been on the fence as to getting a K390 Stretch 2. While the blade & ergos are great, the rather roughly-finished liners I have seen present a corrosion point (esp. under them) that has thus far kept me from pulling the trigger.
To be honest this knife has not been taken apart. I taped off scales before application. I did use flashlight and could see no issues . Jeff has a K390 Endura and taking apart found no issues. I have only had this knife less than a month so I may not be best person to give you an appropriate answer . Have you done a search? There might be some information on this subject or maybe ask in General. A lot of members have K390 . Dan
Yes I'm familiar with the search function -- I've been on the forum for a while. I was asking about your experience (every user is a new data point). Experiences with liners seem to vary -- esp. between those coming from the factory with a higher polish vs. those with a more brushed finish. The SS material used seems to vary as well. I was previously unaware that you didn't take your knife apart (I always disassemble mine when I force a patina/acid etch), but thanks for sharing.
I did a force patina on my Endela after letting it patina naturally for awhile. I wanted to get more even on that one because it had a weird splotchy look to it. I did not disassemble it for that. My Endura I am letting patina naturally in the kitchen. I have not had any issues with corrosion on the liners except one time for other reasons on a 20CV blade's liners. I have even RIT Dyed knives without disassembly minus the clip. That was a no salt solution though. Just vinegar, soap, and dye. Have not had an issue yet, but I did blow them out and wipe down inside and out. Another Endela the 20CV, I did have some rusting on the liners, but it was soaked in water in a high humid area and not dried out properly. That is why I am always reluctant to just hand over a knife to someone else. Even then, it was an easy fix. Disassembled, took care of the liners and back again no problem.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

Thanks, Jeff!

I've handled two different K390 Stretch 2s -- both seemed to have rougher liners than, for example, my ZCarta Shaman. I've had fairly significant liner rust develop on an older Endela, but none on my Shaman. Both currently get about the same use/care, but I've had the Endela a good deal longer. I'm sure to jump on the first linerless Stretch 2 knives that might someday be made (I've already purchased the XL), but for now I've been waffling a bit on the K390 one. I like the blade steel, but I just wonder if I'll regret having one with rough liners -- esp. since I expect they're eventually release one in MagnaCut/possibly without liners (i.e., a SALT version, perhaps?). Anyway, I'm still watching for reports on how others' liners have responded on this particular model. I know Spyderco seems to change up the liner material from time to time (ex: I see they use LC200N liners on the Caribbean, but on no others that I'm aware of...). Again, since the stonewashed/polished liners on my ZCarta Shaman have been faring so well, perhaps I'll just pull the trigger on a K390 Stratch 2 and then polish its liners myself?

Ahh well, concerns about such things are "good problems to have"... :)
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:29 pm
Thanks, Jeff!

I've handled two different K390 Stretch 2s -- both seemed to have rougher liners than, for example, my ZCarta Shaman. I've had fairly significant liner rust develop on an older Endela, but none on my Shaman. Both currently get about the same use/care, but I've had the Endela a good deal longer. I'm sure to jump on the first linerless Stretch 2 knives that might someday be made (I've already purchased the XL), but for now I've been waffling a bit on the K390 one. I like the blade steel, but I just wonder if I'll regret having one with rough liners -- esp. since I expect they're eventually release one in MagnaCut/possibly without liners (i.e., a SALT version, perhaps?). Anyway, I'm still watching for reports on how others' liners have responded on this particular model. I know Spyderco seems to change up the liner material from time to time (ex: I see they use LC200N liners on the Caribbean, but on no others that I'm aware of...). Again, since the stonewashed/polished liners on my ZCarta Shaman have been faring so well, perhaps I'll just pull the trigger on a K390 Stratch 2 and then polish its liners myself?

Ahh well, concerns about such things are "good problems to have"... :)
I waited until tonight and checked the Stretch K390 in the dark with a flashlight and it appears to me that my liners are brushed seeing very fine lines in the steel . Hope this will help you . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

Thank you, Sir.
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
Geometry

Post by Geometry »

The bbs k390 pm2! Looks a lot more gray in most light and after lots of use. But when I get it out for some saucy foods, maybe get a little extra on the blade and let it sit a bit... Purple and blue!
PXL_20220216_032602161.jpg
:bug-white-red I like using my brain around people smarter than myself.
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Maxamet Sage 1
-Jimmy
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

Endela in k390 my edc for 10 months :respect :bug-white :bug-red-white
Attachments
20220920_205353.jpg
20220920_205320.jpg
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

northvanbamboo wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:57 pm
Love the signs of use that thing has seen in 10 months. There has to be a story to that edge.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Chaparral CTS-XHP 😢
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Huh. Is the wailing and gnashing of teeth due to the presence of the patina, or because you’ve tried so hard to develop it and only have that itty bitty spot to show for it?
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

don't like rust knives 😢
would be nice to do blackwash 🤔
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Makunochimaster wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:09 am
don't like rust knives 😢
would be nice to do blackwash 🤔
Got it! Flitz should take that spot right off.
LuvMeSumspydies

Post by LuvMeSumspydies »

northvanbamboo wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:57 pm
Wow!, Did you put that edge on there?
Stones you used for that, if so?
:bug-red
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

PXL_20221003_180158427.jpg
I don't know what did it, there are a few little spots on the other side
Guts

Post by Guts »

:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
mtb

Post by mtb »

Somehow the Endura patinas much faster and readily than the PM2...

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I've noticed that the colors just come from oils and wash off. Does any steel keep the blues after washing? Hoping my Maxamet developes a nice patina.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:23 am
I've noticed that the colors just come from oils and wash off. Does any steel keep the blues after washing? Hoping my Maxamet developes a nice patina.
Super Blue does. I've got a pretty good pic posted back on page 22 if you want to check it out.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
northvanbamboo

Post by northvanbamboo »

Endela k390 a killer workhorse. The patina has developed naturally, I got the blade out and buffed off the area around the pivot screw to prevent rusting where I can't see it using diamond 1/2micron paste and dremel felt wheel.
Attachments
20221022_181148.jpg