Show Your Patina!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
User avatar
d.2.the.p
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: Washington DC

Show Your Patina!

Postby d.2.the.p » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 am

I just got my SB Caly 3 in yesterday and put a grapefruit patina on it overnight. This is my first non-stainless knife, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

[ATTACH]21453[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0168 - Copy.JPG

Irelander
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Appalacia

Postby Irelander » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Nice. That looks awesome. Can you please give me the rundown on the process for doing that?

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6762
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Postby Holland » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Irelander wrote:Nice. That looks awesome. Can you please give me the rundown on the process for doing that?
just stab a grape fruit ;)
-Spencer

User avatar
d.2.the.p
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: Washington DC

Postby d.2.the.p » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm

Irelander wrote:Nice. That looks awesome. Can you please give me the rundown on the process for doing that?
Definitely!

First, I got a small bottle of Tuf-Glide with the needle applicator and carefully coated the inside of the tang and pivot area with Tuf-Glide (I didn't disassemble the knife at all) so as to prevent anything within the handle area from growing patina.

Next, I got a large grapefruit and stuck the knife into the fruit as far as I wanted patina showing. I did it all the way past the handle so that the tang has patina all the way up to the handle when open, but this ever so slightly affects the smoothness of opening and closing since the tang is patinaed and comes in contact with the liner. That's just your personal preference.

When inserting the blade, I steered clear of the middle of the fruit due to the thick center which would be devoid of acidic fruit juice and have left a relatively blank area on the blade. I also stuck it in parallel to the axis of the fruit so as to avoid the lines that would be cause by the sections of the fruit. I don't know if that makes sense. However, if you're looking for a star design of sort, ignore all of this, and do the opposite.

Then I just let it sit overnight. If you want it lighter in color, only leave it in for a few hours. In the morning, I pulled it out and made sure the patina looked the way I wanted it; wiped it off with a wet cloth and made sure there was no fruit, juice, or rust anywhere; oiled it; and then applied Tuf-glide to the entire blade to lock in the patina as is.

Simple enough, and I think it looks great.

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6762
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Postby Holland » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
-Spencer

User avatar
d.2.the.p
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: Washington DC

Postby d.2.the.p » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Holland wrote:
Image

Image
This PM looks freaking amazing.

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6762
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Postby Holland » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm

d.2.the.p wrote:This PM looks freaking amazing.
thanks :D
-Spencer

Irelander
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Appalacia

Postby Irelander » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 am

d.2.the.p wrote:Definitely!

First, I got a small bottle of Tuf-Glide with the needle applicator and carefully coated the inside of the tang and pivot area with Tuf-Glide (I didn't disassemble the knife at all) so as to prevent anything within the handle area from growing patina.

Next, I got a large grapefruit and stuck the knife into the fruit as far as I wanted patina showing. I did it all the way past the handle so that the tang has patina all the way up to the handle when open, but this ever so slightly affects the smoothness of opening and closing since the tang is patinaed and comes in contact with the liner. That's just your personal preference.

When inserting the blade, I steered clear of the middle of the fruit due to the thick center which would be devoid of acidic fruit juice and have left a relatively blank area on the blade. I also stuck it in parallel to the axis of the fruit so as to avoid the lines that would be cause by the sections of the fruit. I don't know if that makes sense. However, if you're looking for a star design of sort, ignore all of this, and do the opposite.

Then I just let it sit overnight. If you want it lighter in color, only leave it in for a few hours. In the morning, I pulled it out and made sure the patina looked the way I wanted it; wiped it off with a wet cloth and made sure there was no fruit, juice, or rust anywhere; oiled it; and then applied Tuf-glide to the entire blade to lock in the patina as is.

Simple enough, and I think it looks great.
Thanks man. I have a ESEE Izula II that needs stripped and a good patina. Yours does look great. I need to buy some grapefruit anyway.

User avatar
d.2.the.p
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: Washington DC

Postby d.2.the.p » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 am

Irelander wrote:Thanks man. I have a ESEE Izula II that needs stripped and a good patina. Yours does look great. I need to buy some grapefruit anyway.
Thank you. Also, check out this thread that I found on an ESEE forum. http://jungletraining.com/forums/showth ... -questions

Some of the forced patinas look outstanding. Apparently someone got some sponges and soaked them in gun blue and laid them out on the blades to get a really cool looking patina. Might be worth a shot too.

User avatar
chuck_roxas45
Member
Posts: 8677
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: Small City, Philippines
Contact:

Postby chuck_roxas45 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am

I did this schrade old timer(1095) with gun blue.

Image

User avatar
computernut
Member
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: Canada

Postby computernut » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:55 pm

My new Caly3 SB: (white wine vinegar for 30min)
Image

Image

User avatar
razorsharp
Member
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby razorsharp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 pm


User avatar
razorsharp
Member
Posts: 3061
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby razorsharp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 am

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Toddles
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Contact:

Postby Toddles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:11 am

Did this with coffee grounds.

Image
Image
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 6762
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Postby Holland » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 am

Nice shots toddles! love it when you can see the bluish purple stains
-Spencer

User avatar
Toddles
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Contact:

Postby Toddles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:47 am

Bit better lighting

Image
Image
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.

kromo
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 am
Location: Portugal

Postby kromo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:28 am

Toddles wrote:Did this with coffee grounds.

Image
can you explain the all process. please

User avatar
Toddles
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Contact:

Postby Toddles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am

Sure.

After I made my coffee this morning:

I took a small plate and folded up a paper towel and placed it on the plate.
I then spread some of the used grounds out on the paper towel.
I took the blade out of the Caly and laid it on the grounds.
I then spread some grounds on top.
I placed another folded paper towel over the top.
I then poured a bit of fresh hot coffee over the paper towel sandwich and let it sit for about an hour.

Afterwards I took it out and rinsed it off in hot water.

Then I grabbed some of the really fine grounds that stick to the sides of my grinder and more or less made a paste out of it with a bit of hot water on in my hand.

I spread that on the blade and let it sit for a bit then rinsed it off. (This seemed to add a bit of the golden tones)


I've no idea how well this works universally. I was using a pretty strong breakfast blend.
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.

kromo
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 am
Location: Portugal

Postby kromo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:41 am

tks a lot :)
maybe i will try it on my edc delica. afraid to do that on native5...
****..i need more knifes,

User avatar
Toddles
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Contact:

Postby Toddles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:54 am

It's only going to work on a non-stainless steel.
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.


Return to “Spyderco Picture Gallery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests