Szabo Folder

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
VashHash

Szabo Folder

Post by VashHash »

Got it today and figured you guys would appreciate a few in depth photos and comparisons
This image might need some explaining this is the self closing mechanism \|/
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

ORIGINS:
Tried to post a few pics that i would like to see when a new model comes out ENJOI
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Heres one more comparison shot to really put the size in perspective
This should give most people an idea of the size of this glorious and beautiful knife. Well worth the wait Thanks to Laci, Sal, Eric and the rest of the spydercrew.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not seeing how this is a compression lock, even with your detailed pics. Where is the "compression" happening? What's going on with that pin going through the lock tab?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Thanks Van , I 'm glad it showed up.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Evil D wrote:I'm not seeing how this is a compression lock, even with your detailed pics. Where is the "compression" happening? What's going on with that pin going through the lock tab?
I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but Eric explained some of these features at the Amsterdam Show earlier this year. The compression is still happening with some of the lock bar being in between the stop pin and the blade tang. Reinforcing of the stop pin was necessary in order to get the strength rating for the knife at the appropriate level. Wrapping the lockbar around the stop pin helped improve the strength where needed based on the analyzed failures. Like I said, I may have that not completely accurate and (hopefully) someone will correct me where I made mistakes.

The coiled spring that is nested inside the handle is impressive at creating self-closing bias. I'm sure it will be another feature that is explored and revised with :spyder: 's CQI.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

There is actual stop pin but it's in the blade and runs along a channel inside the liners like the new chaparral series. I I tried to get a pic of this channel in the liners I posted it up top. It's the fourth pic on my initial post. This is where the compression comes from a hidden stop pin. As has been stated the bar in the middle adds strength to the overall design and the compression tab isn't just flat at the bottom like on most other compression locks it has a little nose or something that hangs down and goes into a curved area on the blade then it goes straight and touches the tang. These things are really hard to photograph with a phone.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can definitely see where the stop pin piercing the lock tab will add stability and strength...that would prevent the tab from failing and bending outward from the tang, but i'm used to seeing a stop pin in that location for the tang to hit against...so that's the part that's throwing me off. I don't really care for this knife, it's pretty but not my style, but that lock has me really interested.
~David
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Jeez, that thing is enormous... looks cool though.
VashHash wrote: Image
Is that some sort of spring in there?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

That's the self close mechanism to stop it from opening unintentionally. I think this is why this knife took so long to produce. I'm going to post more pics after work today to try and show another part of the self close mechanism
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

VashHash wrote:There is actual stop pin but it's in the blade and runs along a channel inside the liners like the new chaparral series. I I tried to get a pic of this channel in the liners I posted it up top. It's the fourth pic on my initial post. This is where the compression comes from a hidden stop pin. As has been stated the bar in the middle adds strength to the overall design and the compression tab isn't just flat at the bottom like on most other compression locks it has a little nose or something that hangs down and goes into a curved area on the blade then it goes straight and touches the tang. These things are really hard to photograph with a phone.
Yeah, I saw your photo and see that there is an internal stop pin too. I suppose my vocabulary and knowledge is too limited to explain or name what the other pin is. It's in the place where a stop pin would be on other designs. :o Regardless, it is an interesting engineering change in the compression lock. Props for getting the current photos and posting more later.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well i'm still a bit lost, so when you feel like taking one for the team and disassembling this beast, feel free to post lots of pics :D
~David

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the pics.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil I should be getting my second one in from laci sometime next week so a disassembly may be in order just not sure if I wanna be the one to do it if I can't get it right and just in case any thing were to break on it I'd rather have the warranty but I am very curious
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

That is one. large. knife.

Beautiful piece of engineering, though!

TedP
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

ok new pics in this one you can kinda see the pin that the blade catches to make the knife self close
best i can do with my phone i'm still debating if i should blow the warranty and take it apart but i'm pretty curious and part of me wants to disable the self close. The other part feels this may be a bad idea
BAL

Post by BAL »

Love the comparison pics Van Hash. This is one knife that I have been waiting
on for long time. Haven't pulled the string yet. Bills and what-not, you know.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Hey VashHash, have you tried taking it apart and removing that spring yet?
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Nice photos.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Some pics I've made for a review on the german knife forums.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.