Pingo! Show the love!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Moroland

Pingo! Show the love!

Post by Moroland »

Just wanted to start a thread for new Pingo owners. Thanks to Mocean for inspiring me to start this thread. I love his "Dragonfly - show the love!" thread.

A little piece I picked up for myself for my birthday. I love Anso designed knives and this collaboration with Jesper Voxaes and Spyderco is something both beautiful and functional. It is two hand opening, but that doesn’t matter to me as I just use this for small tasks and cutting food. I will be carrying this in place of my Dragonfly 2 and seeing how well it works for me these next few weeks. So far so good, I love this little thing!

ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Nice pictures, the more I see the more I want it. Happy belated birthday, a fine present to yourself.
Googz

Post by Googz »

ChaoticLuck wrote:Nice pictures, the more I see the more I want it. Happy belated birthday, a fine present to yourself.

Looks like a great little knife Congrats!. Have you tried to open it with one hand?
Orange Manix 2, Purple Endura, Foliage Green G10 Dragonfly, Leaf storm + more in the near future
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

@ ChaoticLuck, thanks! Also got myself a new phone! Well it's used, but new to me!
Googz wrote:Looks like a great little knife Congrats!. Have you tried to open it with one hand?
@googz I've tried. Very difficult. I know a few people can, but I don't know how. No worries though, I don't mind opening it with two hands :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Looks like you could probably either flick it open with some effort or spyderdrop it. Haven't held one yet to see. Very cool design and unique in many ways compared to other FRN and slipit knives.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm guessing with the blade shape, an inertial opening would work great.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

defenestrate wrote:Looks like you could probably either flick it open with some effort or spyderdrop it. Haven't held one yet to see. Very cool design and unique in many ways compared to other FRN and slipit knives.
With as little mass as the Pingo has in the butt of the handle, it would take lots more momentum.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Moroland, would it be possible to post a picture of the Pingo with another common object-- I'm thinking dollar bill, credit card, whatever would be appropriate--- or in hand to give us an idea of the size. Reading specs is one thing, seeing is another. At least for me. Thanks for the pictures of a very cool little knife.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Edro

Post by Edro »

tr4022, over on the discussion forum Sithus1966 posted some pics with other knives:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ebye/page3
Also, if you search youtube for "spyderco pingo" you will find a handful of reviews, showing it in hand. It's very comparable to a Dragonfly.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Thanks, Edro. Had no idea it was that small, but then the D'fly is one of my faves. Looks like it would fit very well in the pocket. Anyone have any idea how strong the spring is to keep it open? I see there's some jimping on the bottom of the blade, but it looks awfully close to the sharpened portion to put my finger there. Anyone have any comments?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

tr4022 wrote:Thanks, Edro. Had no idea it was that small, but then the D'fly is one of my faves. Looks like it would fit very well in the pocket. Anyone have any idea how strong the spring is to keep it open? I see there's some jimping on the bottom of the blade, but it looks awfully close to the sharpened portion to put my finger there. Anyone have any comments?

Tod
It is very close to the sharpened portion of the blade and I felt the edge against my skin while experimenting with different opening techniques. The jimping is grippy in that area, but not as trusting of a grip as the Dragonfly's 50/50 setup.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Just arrived...

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Knife Boy

Post by Knife Boy »

Got mine on Monday. Great little knife! Forget about inertia openings though or one handing it. It isn't going to happen. The knife was not designed that way. The action is like that on a Swiss Army knife or similar Slipjoint except witha Hal stop. The action is very smooth but you aren't going to open this one one handed. Doesn't bother me at all though. The knife wasn't intended as a one handed. I accept it for what it is and the design and mechanics are excellent. Big thanks to Spyderco for giving us so many options in blade shapes, sizes, locks, mechanisms, etc. they are truly innovators
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Nice shots, also love the Pingo, I find that if I really need to open one handed, I pinch grip the blade and push back against the handle with my middle finger, not a speed operation, but it does work and you can open the knife using that method.

G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

So I have had my Pingo for two weeks or so and I thought I’d share a few thoughts.

Whilst I don’t usually carry knives this size (either go smaller (Ladybug) on my keys or at least 3 inch blade) there are times and circumstances that I do carry blades of this size – usually when travelling. Same goes with slip joints over locking blades. So the parameters that I would use the Pingo are : very occasional “just because I can”, occasional slightly more dressed up with NKPs in the surrounds and a Native may be considered “too intimidating” or when travelling in areas with restrictive knife laws or where you just don’t need the hassle of curious police.

Spring : definitely an improvement on the UKPK spring but not as stiff as a SAK spring (the benchmark?). It works well and feels safe but personally I’d prefer a little bit more stiffness. At least it isn't the guillotine that the Cox becomes from the half close … the blood on my carpets is testament to that.

Cutting : I’m a South African, my cutting test for this kind of knife is a cultural thing : how well will it cut biltong (beef jerky)? 90% of South African males (statistics courtesy of my imagination) will cut nothing other than biltong with a pocket knife … but it will be a regular occurrence at sporting events or in the evenings in front of the TV. The Pingo performed admirably! The ‘tong was still a bit moist but it fell off the blade well and Pingo handle felt comfortable when cutting. Slightly thicker handle may have been more comfortable (see below) but it did what it needed to do and it did it well. Obviously the Opinel and SAK with the thinner blade stock sliced better but that was to be expected.

[ATTACH]21078[/ATTACH]

The blade has only had a touch up on the UF rods but my past experience with N690 has been very good so I have no doubt that this will be similar.

I like the knife and I really like the design and it is definitely something I’d carry if circumstances dictated (particularly when travelling). For me though it just needs a bit more of a gentlemanly feel … the aftermarket scales arrived this morning.

[ATTACH]21077[/ATTACH]

Now it just looks right! More Vox/Anso-esque with the sculptured G10. It’s a little bit thicker and the spring feels stiffer as well since reassembling and that suits me as well. Now it is top of the slippy pile!
Attachments
121111 002a_resize.jpg
IMG_0047_resize.JPG
Moroland

Post by Moroland »

@PSquared Where oh where did you get those scales from? Are they Cuscadi? How much was it to get it done :)

This has been my dedicated carry since I got it with the odd DF2 pocket time. I like how NKP don't think anything of it and got a few cute remarks!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Moroland wrote:@PSquared Where oh where did you get those scales from? Are they Cuscadi? How much was it to get it done :)

This has been my dedicated carry since I got it with the odd DF2 pocket time. I like how NKP don't think anything of it and got a few cute remarks!
They are Cuscadi. 60Euros and it changes the Pingo completely! the tolerance of these wasn't 100% as they have been on other Cuscadi scales I have got and I suspect it is because I got scales without slots for the pocket clip - the hole for the back fixing isn't sitting perfect, no one else will notice but I do. I may take it apart and ream out that back hole.
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Kind of a daily carry, always clipped in my back left pocket, handy to have on hand, here's shot of my Pingo taken tonight, push cut down through this 23mm thick book, cut was about 35mm so that's a bit for such a small slip joint blade :)

And click Here for a full size image of the photo

G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
shahidjee

Post by shahidjee »

A little piece I picked up for myself for my birthday. I love Anso designed knives and this collaboration with Jesper Voxaes and Spyderco is something both beautiful and functional. It is two hand opening, but that doesn’t matter to me as I just use this for small tasks and cutting food. I will be carrying this in place of my Dragonfly 2 and seeing how well it works for me these next few weeks. So far so good, I love this little thing!
shahid
Holland

Post by Holland »

i never thought this knife would be as popular as it is. its starting to grow on me
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE