Show your User Sprints!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Evil D

Show your User Sprints!

Post by Evil D »

Far too many sprints live their lives in a box and never get to stretch their legs. Not mine. Just hours out of the box it got reprofiled (which i did a terrible job of because it was only the 2nd knife i sharpened on my Edge Pro) and has since been little more than a beater. I really feel that this is what sprint knives are born for. I've just finished doing the bevel at 20 inclusive. It isn't quite as polished as it looks, it still has plenty of scratches in it. At this low of an angle, it is ridiculously sharp but will need some micro bevel to prevent chipping.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

That's one heck of a mirror edge you have there. Great background to demonstrate it too.
When I find the time (never) I'll post all my sprint knives, because they all get used.
Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Nice pictures. If you take a picture of a knife with carbon fiber scales with that background, will the handle look invisible? :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pockets wrote:Nice pictures. If you take a picture of a knife with carbon fiber scales with that background, will the handle look invisible? :D
I thought the same thing, i'll have to take some pics of my Caly 3 on it and find out. You'll laugh when you hear what that actually is...

(it's a kitchen table place mat i found at Walmart lol)
~David
apintandafight

Post by apintandafight »

My s35vn para 2 is my designated work beater, no pics though D:
Invective

Post by Invective »

I've a G10 Jester that I reprofiled to about 30 degrees inclusive that has seen my pocket everyday for the past 2 months :D unfortunately, all I have in terms of picture-taking is my **** cell phone. Nice knives and a good camera are too expensive for me at the moment, although I may be able to use my roommates, so might be back in a few hours.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

My 2 user sprints are my only 2 sprints and get the most pocket time. They both look pretty pristine but they have both been used alot.

Caly was carried for a long time (good few months) till i got a para m390 and ppt which kicked it out of my pocket...but the caly worked its way past the ppt back to the pocket.Image

I decided to clean 4+ months worth of patina off it with some polish and start developing it again, this time naturally.

with another few weeks use, I then lusted for better slicing and reground it last week and put a dark stonewash on it- here it looks like its had nothing more than a stonewash in its life- but really its parted a LOT of material.

heres the caly with the M390 para

and para

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Hehe, I did the same as you evilD- steep bevel on my para as well with a 15dps microbevel
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This one....
or this one...
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here is a CPMD2 Millie with a handle swap, patina and an edge appropriate for a knife.

Sometimes I really wonder what people who like 40 degree inclusive edges do to their knives. I can use this in a pinch to clear trail, split firewood, carve knotty and seasoned hardwood and shred double layer cardboard with gobs of industrial glue running through it. I have a thinner edge on my Scrapyard Dogfather than most peoples gent knives.

CPMD2 is good stuff. It gets as sharp as any steel I've tried, handles acute edge angles like a champ and is plenty tough. It had good corrosion resistance too but I forced a patina because I think it looks neat and it makes it fight rust better. This knife has been in heavy thunderstorms and been exposed to sweat while being carried IWB during the summer more times than I can count and since putting on the patina it has pretty much stayed the same.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:Here is a CPMD2 Millie with a handle swap, patina and an edge appropriate for a knife.

Sometimes I really wonder what people who like 40 degree inclusive edges do to their knives. I can use this in a pinch to clear trail, split firewood, carve knotty and seasoned hardwood and shred double layer cardboard with gobs of industrial glue running through it. I have a thinner edge on my Scrapyard Dogfather than most peoples gent knives.

CPMD2 is good stuff. It gets as sharp as any steel I've tried, handles acute edge angles like a champ and is plenty tough. It had good corrosion resistance too but I forced a patina because I think it looks neat and it makes it fight rust better. This knife has been in heavy thunderstorms and been exposed to sweat while being carried IWB during the summer more times than I can count and since putting on the patina it has pretty much stayed the same.
That looks to be a convex edge, which if it is would explain why it can take so much abuse. I cut almost nothing but cardboard and previously worked in the corrugated industry, and 20CP at ~25 inclusive chipped like a SOB without a micro bevel. I'd say i can easily do any of my EDC tasks with a low edge angle, it just won't last long and for how often i use a knife i need an edge that lasts as long as possible so i need a compromise between a low angle and a tough apex.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:That looks to be a convex edge, which if it is would explain why it can take so much abuse. I cut almost nothing but cardboard and previously worked in the corrugated industry, and 20CP at ~25 inclusive chipped like a SOB without a micro bevel. I'd say i can easily do any of my EDC tasks with a low edge angle, it just won't last long and for how often i use a knife i need an edge that lasts as long as possible so i need a compromise between a low angle and a tough apex.
I guess some people do magic sharpening EvilD. :D
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Mine is a user in that I carry it in my EDC rotation, but my carry is light duty so the knife is still relatively close to NIB condition.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Travis, did you regrind that Caly yourself? How did you go about doing it? I bet that thing slices like crazy..Caly's are already pretty thin behind the edge as it is.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

It is mildly convex due to human error because it is freehand on dmt stones, but it still makes any factory edge feel like an axe edge if you're cutting something thick. I've never tried the steel you mentioned but I've had good luck with cpmd2 and s30v at 8-12 degrees inclusive with a 10dps microbevel. In the process of thinning out my street beat. Love the knife but the factory edge just doesn't do it for carving wood.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Vivi wrote:It is mildly convex due to human error because it is freehand on dmt stones, but it still makes any factory edge feel like an axe edge if you're cutting something thick. I've never tried the steel you mentioned but I've had good luck with cpmd2 and s30v at 8-12 degrees inclusive with a 10dps microbevel. In the process of thinning out my street beat. Love the knife but the factory edge just doesn't do it for carving wood.
Yep, what I said. Magic sharpening. ;)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That D2 Millie is a thing of beauty...
krotchitty

Post by krotchitty »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

^^Thats a beautiful patina.
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Evil D wrote:Travis, did you regrind that Caly yourself? How did you go about doing it? I bet that thing slices like crazy..Caly's are already pretty thin behind the edge as it is.
Yeah I reground it on my belt grinder and left it at worn 80 grit finish(patina will hide scratches) The reason it is reground is just like you said , they are already " pretty thin"- but not crazy thin as people say :) also, the original primary grind was a bit bad at the tip

before I had a back bevel at about 9-11 dps and it looked like this
now if you look at the tip, it waves down and the primary is uneven from factory.

Then i tried dropping it 7ish DPS and this happened

One OCD night of rocking in the corner due to "crappybevel syndrome" i decided ill regrind it and if i screw it up, send it to a pro and that is my result :) Ive done several regrinds, its just this one took longer