What I love about the Caly Jr.

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Clip

What I love about the Caly Jr.

Post by Clip »

Figured I'd post a few pictures of the Caly Jr, a fantastic knife in my opinion. These are little touches that blow me away and things I'd wish Spyderco would implement on some of their current knives. Attention to detail.

Starting with the handle. Fish-scale texture feels fantastic in the hand. Not sharp at all, but feels finished and grips as well as anything out there. No liners needed, the FRN provides strength without weight. This isn't a knife for heavy jobs, but a slimmed down pocket scalpel. Nothing unneeded.

Moving to the spine of the blade. Not sure why, but Spyderco beveled this as well. I think it's a great touch. Not sure what purpose it serves, I would think the weight loss is negligible. However, adds a finished appearance to the knife that few others have and feels great to the touch and in the pocket.

And one of the most eye-catching features I think is the bug, inset in the blade and painted gold. I think this continues the Caly Jr's theme of an elegant knife with such a fine finish. Also worth mentioning is the lamination line. The use of ZDP on such a thinly ground blade turns this knife into a super slicer.

I enjoy carrying a Spyderco daily, but on days when this little gem finds its way into my pocket I love it that much more. The only thing I've got to worry about is which knife I'll be carrying tomorrow, the Caly Jr or the SB Caly 3.5.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
liltemp1

Post by liltemp1 »

Very nice pics bro.
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Usually I've got a better setup to take pics with, but I was just poking around with the phone's camera while I had some time. Love that knife!

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Chris, what kind of phone is that? I have got to upgrade my phone situation. It's a work phone, but I am due for an upgrade. Maybe a Motorola Droid 4?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Fishscale RULES!
Clip

Post by Clip »

Iphone 4s. I read all sorts of rave reviews about the camera on that, but they must've been written by people familiar with cell-phone cameras only. I'm extremely frustrated with the lack of manual settings after using a DSLR for years. That being said, it is the best phone camera I've used. Switched from a Droid Eris in November and haven't looked back. The Eris was frustrating because of the lack of customer service/support and how they discontinued software upgrades they promised as newer phones came out. After one upgrade, my headphone jack stopped working. I searched the problem online to find that they pushed an updated version of the OS out without thoroughly testing it, but the developers didn't really care about fixing it. So I kind of got left behind and if I wanted to upgrade, I had to deal with rooting the phone and putting a new operating system on it myself. Never went to that trouble, because to me it's just a phone.

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Picked up an old beater Caly Jr. today for less than $70. I am really pleased with it so far. I love your opinions about the fish scales and the crowned spine. These are quality features (IMO) that should be reintroduced on current models.
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

xceptnl wrote:Picked up an old beater Caly Jr. today for less than $70. I am really pleased with it so far. I love your opinions about the fish scales and the crowned spine. These are quality features (IMO) that should be reintroduced on current models.
Post some pics if you get a chance!

Glad you feel the same way, I think it'd be cool to see some of those touches on new models, even if its just as a throwback. I've seen some new Caly Jrs for sale for $59, black/Spyderedge. Not sure how many are left, or if they're even in stock still, but I'll probably try to buy one soon.

Chris
Holland

Post by Holland »

great looking knife, thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I love the swedge on the top of the Caly Jr's. It makes them look a little more classy.

Here's some pics of my plain edge black Caly Jr.

Id love to pick up a ZDP Caly Jr.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Great pictures, Clip! I'm also a huge fan of the Caly Jr. It's just one of those knives that feels absolutely "right" in your hand. The ergos, the finish, the details, the whole package.

TedP
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Aah, the Caly jr., one of my alltime faves.
Wish it would be a regular production model again.
Perhaps with FRN in some vibrant colours or even better with burgundy or vintage micarta.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

MarcusH wrote:Aah, the Caly jr., one of my alltime faves.
Wish it would be a regular production model again.
Perhaps with FRN in some vibrant colours or even better with burgundy or vintage micarta.

That micarta Caly is one SEXY knife. If only it was a production with VG-10 and micarta.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'll join the party! Here's a shot of a few of my Jrs. I've acquired two more since this photo - and have owned three others in the past that have been given away as presents... What a knife...

TedP

Clip

Post by Clip »

Marcus, was there some work done on the spine of your burgundy Caly?

Chris
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Clip wrote:Marcus, was there some work done on the spine of your burgundy Caly?
Yes, the thumb ramp was removed plus some light regrinding.
I think, it looks pretty nice...

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I agree, love that new curve.

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

MarcusH wrote:Yes, the thumb ramp was removed plus some light regrinding.
I think, it looks pretty nice...

MarcusH I love the crowned spine and plan to modify mine, but I can't live without my thumb ramp. Beautiful photos too.
*Landon*
Matus

Re: What I love about the Caly Jr.

Post by Matus »

Sorry for picking up an old thread, but I have (after nearly 1 year long wait for one) a Calypso Jr Burgundy ZDP in post that should arrive in a few days. I love the way the spine and thumb rest was modified on this one. Since I have never done such a modification myself, I would like to ask what tools would I need to do that - including the nice mirror finish. Or should I rather have it done by someone with more experience? Honestly am not sure where would I turn to (I am located in Germany).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
762cal

Re: What I love about the Caly Jr.

Post by 762cal »

Hey Matus, since I myself not a craftsman by trade, If I were you I'd ask the pro... I don't want to mess with that knife. BTW, many skilled knifemakers should be able to do it, and I knew europe has a lot of talented knifemakers.

BTW, this thread makes me regret selling my fully serrated VG10 caly jr..