Centofante 4 photo shoot

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice pics! Thanks for posting these.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That is much nicer than I thought it would be, I really had no idea. I have looked at it (online a couple of times) but I really didn't realize it would have such a quality look about it.
Thanks for the photos.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Nice, Wasn't aware it had that nice of a swedge
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Fantastic pictures Evil D! Can't believe this model got discontinued.

I just recently (today actually) picked up my Centofante 3 after having it sitting in my dresser collecting dust. I had forgotten how solid if felt while still being light. The only negative is two of the three clip screws fell out so ill have to carry it in my pocket instead of clipped to my pocket after cleaning it up, sharpening it, and putting it back in my EDC.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:That is much nicer than I thought it would be, I really had no idea. I have looked at it (online a couple of times) but I really didn't realize it would have such a quality look about it.
Thanks for the photos.
I think this is why the model was discontinued and why the 3 probably will be soon enough. It's a **** shame too. I'd kill for a BRG/ZDP sprint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Your right that would be impressive and I think it would suit the BRG. it's funny how some models just don't catch you would think this one would, it has all the attributes. Maybe they priced it too cheap? or like you suggested they should have used an exotic steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:Your right that would be impressive and I think it would suit the BRG. it's funny how some models just don't catch you would think this one would, it has all the attributes. Maybe they priced it too cheap? or like you suggested they should have used an exotic steel.
If you ask me these knives are far superior to the Delica in every way except a 4 way clip. It only has one steel liner, but it only needs one. It has no blade play at all even with the pinned pivot. The ergonomics (at least for me) are light years better than the Delica's, which for me is a little too cramped and small feeling. The gorgeous palladium spyder is icing on the cake (and incidentally the reason for only a 2 way clip option, since 4 way would mean the spyder would be covered by the clip). On top of all that, they're nasty slicers since the blades are only 2.5mm thick and hollow ground, so they're nice and thin behind the edge.
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:If you ask me these knives are far superior to the Delica in every way except a 4 way clip. It only has one steel liner, but it only needs one. It has no blade play at all even with the pinned pivot. The ergonomics (at least for me) are light years better than the Delica's, which for me is a little too cramped and small feeling. The gorgeous palladium spyder is icing on the cake (and incidentally the reason for only a 2 way clip option, since 4 way would mean the spyder would be covered by the clip). On top of all that, they're nasty slicers since the blades are only 2.5mm thick and hollow ground, so they're nice and thin behind the edge.
The size looks spot on my hands aren't that large but the Delica is too small for me also. I always feel like there isn't enough handle there and with no choil, I have a hard time getting a decent purchase on the knife.

It's a great looking knife, I am also a fan of hollow grind as you say thin behind the edge but with enough material behind it that you can EDC it. I don't know about you buy lately I am finding that there is far too little money and far too many knives I want to own. Still ... this one is pretty reasonable.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:The size looks spot on my hands aren't that large but the Delica is too small for me also. I always feel like there isn't enough handle there and with no choil, I have a hard time getting a decent purchase on the knife.

It's a great looking knife, I am also a fan of hollow grind as you say thin behind the edge but with enough material behind it that you can EDC it. I don't know about you buy lately I am finding that there is far too little money and far too many knives I want to own. Still ... this one is pretty reasonable.

As far as hand size, i have really thick fingers so they take up a lot of room on a handle. The overall length of the Delica handle is great, but the spacing of the points/finger grooves or whatever you call them is just all wrong for me. The point directly in the middle ends up right where my middle finger sits on the handle. As for the Cento, it's one of the few knives i've owned where i didn't miss not having a 50/50 choil, which i usually prefer. The smooth sloping lines of the handle give it a really neutral grip, or in other words your fingers aren't forced into a particular spot on the handle to grip it by, which lets the handle work well for different size hands.
~David
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Great pictures showcasing my most used, therefore most usefull Spydie.
In my search for a work knife I had bought & tried some forty knives by the time the next stab in the dark buy brought a Cento 4 to me. From day one I knew that this was it, This Cento 4 thingy is the knife for me.

Light enough to carry clipped in shirt top pocket with my carpenters pencil while not having to sacrifice on blade & handle size to gain that lightness.

The Wharnclife blade is the perfect shape for that final little trim or scrape of timber joints & the point is so well placed for trimming right into corners. Sort of like a box cutter & why they have that shaped blade.

VG 10 blade steel with that straight edge is easy to sharpen quickly & properly sharp on a flat stone, on the job, nothing special needed there.

The cento 4 is in no way scary tactical or Edward scissor hand freak out. This means it comes out on the job as just another tool & i never hear stuff that is stupid like when you pull out a SE bright yellow Spyderhawk.

The palladium Spyder that so many love to hate fell out of mine & I freaked :eek: Oh no ! HE'S LOST ! No, I found him laying on the grass & super glued him right back in. Ahh, sigh of relief.

I have a back up in my collection which I hope to never have to call on as I am completely anal about the rules of putting right back where he belongs after use & check, check & tripple check.
O.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:As far as hand size, i have really thick fingers so they take up a lot of room on a handle. The overall length of the Delica handle is great, but the spacing of the points/finger grooves or whatever you call them is just all wrong for me. The point directly in the middle ends up right where my middle finger sits on the handle. As for the Cento, it's one of the few knives i've owned where i didn't miss not having a 50/50 choil, which i usually prefer. The smooth sloping lines of the handle give it a really neutral grip, or in other words your fingers aren't forced into a particular spot on the handle to grip it by, which lets the handle work well for different size hands.
I really like the Cento's look and the blade shape. I get what you are saying about the handle, I needed a knife I could use around the ocean so I ordered a Saver Salt rather than a Salt 1 for the same reason. The handle on the Saver Salt is has softer curves in that area and gets rid of that little mountain that the Delica and the Salt 1 have.
Alessandro

Post by Alessandro »

Yeah this si not a easy photoshoot the professional photographers are well trained and they are well know the all tricks and tips to take the photos i am spend many years with the professional photographers and now i become a professional photographer in this modern age and make the fashion and style photogrpahy...
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Great Photos, Evil D. Apparently I was not on when these were posted before, but these shots all look calendar-worthy to me. Keep that in mind if you didn't submit any for the calendar this year..
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Holland

Post by Holland »

great photos of a great looking knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Alessandro wrote:Yeah this si not a easy photoshoot the professional photographers are well trained and they are well know the all tricks and tips to take the photos i am spend many years with the professional photographers and now i become a professional photographer in this modern age and make the fashion and style photogrpahy...
Yeah, i could do much better, but i'm using a very simple point and shoot camera with no control over focus or anything. I really want a digital SLR.

defenestrate wrote:Great Photos, Evil D. Apparently I was not on when these were posted before, but these shots all look calendar-worthy to me. Keep that in mind if you didn't submit any for the calendar this year..
I did submit one from this shoot. Maybe next time.
~David
NinjaRyder0920

Post by NinjaRyder0920 »

This is one that I truly regret having to have sold. I was really needing the funds last summer, so I had to pass along my BNIB centofante 4 to another lucky owner. Wish I could have kept it to carry and use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NinjaRyder0920 wrote:This is one that I truly regret having to have sold. I was really needing the funds last summer, so I had to pass along my BNIB centofante 4 to another lucky owner. Wish I could have kept it to carry and use.
It was one that I held out on for a long time and when they went discontinued I knew my local shop had one so I frantically rushed to buy it. I remember calling the owner and having him stay after closing to sell it to me and driving like an idiot to make it there.

My only real complaint with this knife is the lock. I'm just burned out on back locks. There's nothing wrong with them but I've really grown to rely on locks that can be dropped shut by gravity like a compression lock can. If they brought these knives back out with that lock I would be in heaven.
~David
alerin

Post by alerin »

Have you ever tried a Vesuvius?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

alerin wrote:Have you ever tried a Vesuvius?
Unfortunately no, but if I ever come across one for a good price I'll be all over it. I really would love to see it brought back with the years of improvements that the compression lock has gotten.
~David
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Evil D wrote:This one will go down as one of the greatest overlooked models Spyderco has ever made...both the 3 and 4 are IMO lightyears ahead of the Delica and they're about the perfect size for EDC. It may not have a flashy trendy lock, but it's lefty/righty friendly, slices like a laser and the ergonomics are just good...they're not overdone, the handle doesn't force you into any particular grip, just comfortable and simple. The only mod i've done to this one is slightly smooth out the thumb jimping and round off that point a little bit just so it wasn't so sharp. Beyond that it's about as good as it gets.

Sal if you're watching.....this one really deserves the British Racing Green/ZDP treatment.
I agree completely. Not sure why this model never seemed to get the love it deserved. (I can't agree with it being ahead of the delica as I've barely even handled one, so I'll stay away from that fight :P )

Snagged one of these as soon as it was announced they were being discontinued. I'm not sure if the website discounted them because of this, or if they always sold for so cheap, but I believe it was about $35 bucks with shipping! Insane. Pulled mine out for the first time in months today, needs a little tlc. Apparently whatever I was cutting last was very sticky and I didn't do a great job of cleaning it. Needs a good sharpening session too.

No great pics to add, but here's one I took when the Cento really got me hooked on wharncliffe blades.