Show those Edges !!!!!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

H1

VG-10

SR101

N690 Bohler

D2

S30V
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

did this when I got it :D , now its patinered with a polished edge

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

razorback1595

Post by razorback1595 »

hey razorsharp, what do you use for those edges?? really love that super blue :p
mine's nowere near an edge like that but it's really my favourite edc knife :p
Pim

:D:spyder:
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

razorback1595 wrote:hey razorsharp, what do you use for those edges?? really love that super blue :p
mine's nowere near an edge like that but it's really my favourite edc knife :p

This :D . Took me a day to make. Few things getting tweaked here and there since I made it. I might make another, more tidy one :D
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

Razorsharp that is amazing! I just ordered the Lansky 5 stone for cheap but I never thought of making my own similiar contraption! i love the angle options... This intrigues me... Maybe I will attempt something now :)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

razorsharp wrote:Image

This :D . Took me a day to make. Few things getting tweaked here and there since I made it. I might make another, more tidy one :D
I'm not sure how you're holding the paper on, but you could wrap it around your aluminum block and use a wooden dowel or something to wedge down in the channel, that would hold the paper on nicely.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Evil D wrote:I'm not sure how you're holding the paper on, but you could wrap it around your aluminum block and use a wooden dowel or something to wedge down in the channel, that would hold the paper on nicely.
it is held on by double sided tape :D I even made a scissor sharpener for it

prime77

Post by prime77 »

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

prime77 wrote:Image
so is chuck right, is it freehand, if so, your as good as an ep :D
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

if thats free hand, please teach me! lol!
prime77

Post by prime77 »

Yea it's freehand. Polishing the bevel makes it look better than it really is. :D I'm still having trouble right where the straight portion of the blade transitions up towards the tip on allot of blades. You can see from the pic that the bevel is wider at that point and slimmer at the tip. I'm also having to take great care to get sharp tips. I've gotten pretty good at stropping though with all the time it takes to polish the edge.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

prime77 wrote:Yea it's freehand. Polishing the bevel makes it look better than it really is. :D I'm still having trouble right where the straight portion of the blade transitions up towards the tip on allot of blades. You can see from the pic that the bevel is wider at that point and slimmer at the tip. I'm also having to take great care to get sharp tips. I've gotten pretty good at stropping though with all the time it takes to polish the edge.
outstanding results man, im sure they can split hairs :D
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Spyderco Walker ZDP189 sharpened with the brown side of the Double Stuff. Picture taken with Veho 400x USB microscope.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:outstanding results man, im sure they can split hairs :D
Prime77 gets one of the sharpest edges in BF so I guess those edges are sharper than 99 percent of the world's edges. :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

prime77 wrote:Yea it's freehand. Polishing the bevel makes it look better than it really is. :D I'm still having trouble right where the straight portion of the blade transitions up towards the tip on allot of blades. You can see from the pic that the bevel is wider at that point and slimmer at the tip. I'm also having to take great care to get sharp tips. I've gotten pretty good at stropping though with all the time it takes to polish the edge.
Prime, check out So-Lo's sharpening videos:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45595

He shows a method that I try to use, the key is to keep hold at the same angle and basically rotate the knife around a pivot near the end of the handle.

I do this for my reprofiling with DMT coarse and Spyderco medium stone, then I try to apply some pressure near the edge with the finer grits... think trying to flatten part of a basketball by pressing it against the pavement. Only a lot less pressure. In my head, that will help give you a flat edge/bevel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Lagarb

Post by Lagarb »

OMG Prime77, freaking love the stone wash! I might have to do that on some of mine, stunning on the Para 2!
My Sypdies: Persistence , Captain , Manix 2 G10 black, Paramilitary 2, Navigator, Spyderhawk H1, UK Penknife SE in Grey, Maroon, Orange (sheepfoot)
prime77

Post by prime77 »

Donut wrote:Prime, check out So-Lo's sharpening videos:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45595

He shows a method that I try to use, the key is to keep hold at the same angle and basically rotate the knife around a pivot near the end of the handle.

I do this for my reprofiling with DMT coarse and Spyderco medium stone, then I try to apply some pressure near the edge with the finer grits... think trying to flatten part of a basketball by pressing it against the pavement. Only a lot less pressure. In my head, that will help give you a flat edge/bevel.
So-Los sharpening vids series is the best out there and I learned allot from them. The mental image of the basketball is great and makes perfect sense to me.

OMG Prime77, freaking love the stone wash! I might have to do that on some of mine, stunning on the Para 2!
Thanks. :spyder:
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Although it is the unsharpened factory edge on my ParaMilitary2, I do like them a bit coarse like they come:
Made with my macro lens reversed.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Andreas wrote:Although it is the unsharpened factory edge on my ParaMilitary2, I do like them a bit coarse like they come:
Made with my macro lens reversed.
You can't really take credit for that, can you? ;)