Show those Edges !!!!!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
LessLemming

Re: Show those Edges !!!!!

Post by LessLemming »

The knife was sharpened on my Edge Pro Apex (chinese clone, may buy original in future).
The EP is great for these small knives. As an experienced free-hand sharpener I am pleased with the evenness of the bevel. The sharpness is, and I'm being modest here, sublime. Here's the full progression:

Naniwa Chosera 400 (to get rid of the factory grind)
Naniwa Chosera 1k (to cut a nice even bevel)
Naniwa Chosera 3k (actually the polishing begins here, take your time with this stone)
Naniwa Chosera 5k (refine the polish and transition to the finish)
Naniwa Chosera 10k (establish a dark luster that mirrors)
The knife has not been stropped

The crispness of the bevel I believe is determined by a.) a properly ground bevel with on the lower grit and b.) enough refinement on what others have described fittingly as the transition stone. This is the stone where the balance between grinding and refining or polishing is shifted towards polishing. For the Chosera I believe this stone is the 3k or maybe the 5k. Spend some extra time on those stones to get that crisp bevel.
The mirror is not perfect. The Naniwa Chosera 10k will leave very shallow scratches that are visible under direct light.
However, the mirror is quite good, as you can see. I use a set of full size Chosera (or rather professional stones as they are called nowadays which is quite the scam: same price, thinner stones) for my kitchen knives. 80-90% of the time the mirror is good enough for me, which is saying something.
For my straight razors I have a full set of Shapton Glasstones including the elusive GS 10k and GS 30k. These are, perhaps, my absolute favourites, but reserved for razors (OCD level 9000). I have an almost full set of Shapton Professionals as well.

Since I have a Spyderco Cru-Wear Manix 2 with grey scales on my way I decided to purchase another set of stones for my Edge Pro.
Yeah, I like to have different sets of stones for differen knives... So I have a set of Shapton Professionals for the EP up to and including the EP Shapton Pro 30K. I will post images :)

Back again to the edge I produced with the Chosera. Mirror is 85% there which is close enough for anyone (almost).
The bevel is not complete. At the heel of the bevel close to the guard I have some difficulties establishing the bevel.

_DSC1755.jpg
_DSC1754.jpg
vanka

Post by vanka »

Seeing your edges guys, i feel almost embarrassed showing mine :o . Here it is - a work in progress. Stock is going convex - there's a lot of work to be done, but i don't have time right now.

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Sage 2 zeroed with a micro bevel. Blade has a few scratches that I can still polish out, but it cuts like a champ !

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

No polished edges in my collection... :p

This thread needs a few more pics of thin edges! :D

Hans

Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
LessLemming

Post by LessLemming »

Finally, my Spyderco Manix 2 limited edition with Cru-Wear steel and light grey G10 scales.
This is such a beautiful knife. If you are thinking about getting one, do it. Now.
It is thinner than my Paramilitary 2 and cuts superbly. All fits together just great, the scales, the lock, the slide of the blade.

This knife has been sharpened using my Edge Pro and a whole set of Shapton Professional stones for the EP ranging from 2k to 30k
  • Shapton Professional 2k
  • Shapton Professional 5k
  • Shapton Professional 8k
  • Shapton Professional 30k
The polish on the bevel is superb, yet not perfect of course. The 30k leaves a liquid mercury polish but it is impossible to get rid of all the deep scratches from the grind. Nonetheless, the polish is extremely satisfying

_DSC1787-2.jpg
_DSC1781-2.jpg
_DSC1783-2.jpg
_DSC1779-2.jpg
Attachments
_DSC1782-2.jpg
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

vanka wrote: Image
Wish I could go to Arch enemy :(

Niiice edge too!!!
jul

Post by jul »

VG-10 saber grind Endura reground to a convex scandi grind to zero
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Sprint run Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in CTS-20CP steel.
The previous owner tried to sharpen it on an Edge-Pro, which sadly resulted in quite uneven bevels, several chips along the edge, and a piece of unremoved burr.
I removed the apex of the old edge by cutting a few times straight into a silicon carbide stone, and then resharpened it to an almost exact 30 degrees inclusive on a Paper Wheel with 15 micron diamond compound, then removed the tiny burr with a second Paper Wheel with 1 micron diamond compound.
Although i couldn't get both bevels exactly even in width, the new edge is now treetopping sharp without chips or burrs.
I call this a bling & bite finish, as to the casual observer it may look like a mirror finish (diamond compounds cut very clean), but when inspected up close with a loupe you can see a fine scratch pattern perpendicular to the edge that still provides for enough bite for most EDC tasks.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Specs:

Steel: CTS-20CP stainless steel (comparable to CPM-S90V)
Hardness: +/- 60 HRC
Blade length: 8,6 cm
Blade thickness: 3,5 mm
Hole diameter: 14 mm
Handle material: Grey G-10 with nested steel liners
Length open: 20,9 cm
Length closed: 12,2 cm
Weight: 108 grams

Data sheet: https://www.cartech.com/toolsteelspowder.aspx?id=3686

Comparison between CTS-20CP and CPM-S90V steel: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... P+Ankerson
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in Elmax steel.
The factory edge had some light brown discoloration near the tip on one side, traces of some unknown black stuff that couldn't even be removed with acetone (visible in pic 1 & 3), and could also barely cut copypaper.

This is how it looked before sharpening:
(pics can be clicked 2 x)

ImageImageImage

First i removed the apex of the old edge by cutting a few times in a silicon carbide stone, then resharpened it with a Paper Wheel coated with 15 micron diamond compound, followed by removing the tiny burr with a second Paper Wheel coated with 1 micron diamond compound.
This time i also polished the bevels a bit more with the same Wheel, just to see how the Elmax would do.
According to my Tormek angle gauge the new edge measures 30 degrees inclusive, can slice single ply toilet paper and easily whittle the hairs on the back of my hand from heel to tip.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Not the cleanest edge, sketchy by the heel, but it sure cuts and thats all I care about!

Edge Pro 200->400->600->1000grit then hit with pictured Flexxx Strop.

Looks like I'm a bit lazier than some of you guys out there, I just don't have the patience. Everyone's got great edges out there!

Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Remarkable photographs of amazing edges. So much to learn, but I want to play.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
alejero

Re:

Post by alejero »

Therealtwitch wrote:For a long time my yo2 was the only factory edge I ever kept cause it was so sharp. But sadly I chipped it which forced me to sharpen it. Here is the result

Beautiful blade! Seems even better than the factory edge!
-------------
Aleje // http://bestmachete.net
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I like a little bite in my edge

kwakster

Post by kwakster »

The factory edge of this Spyderco PM2 in S110V steel was barely shaving armhair on skinlevel, and according to my Tormek WM200 the edge angle was near 35 degrees inclusive.
The old apex was removed by cutting several times straight into a silicon carbide stone, and then i used 4 different Paper Wheels coated with diamond compounds (15, 6, 3, and 1 micron) to create & refine the new edge.
Normally i don't take high carbide steel types this far, but in this case i wanted to see how the S110V steel would do.

The new & ever so slightly convex edge measures a hair below 30 degrees inclusive, and can easily whittle a normal chest hair towards the point along the entire edge.
Thinner ones will sever immediately upon touching.
My cheap camera is not really able to show full details, but at least it gives some impression.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Nick Herrera

Post by Nick Herrera »

Ask and you shall receive.

I do all my edges by hand, with 0 guides. I start off with coarse diamond and work my way up to a 10K Silicone Carbide stone. Finishing passes are done on the Spyderco Ultra Fine Benchstone.

:spyder: Proud creator of the HerreraEdge :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nick Herrera wrote:Ask and you shall receive.

I do all my edges by hand, with 0 guides. I start off with coarse diamond and work my way up to a 10K Silicone Carbide stone. Finishing passes are done on the Spyderco Ultra Fine Benchstone.
Where did you find a 10k SiC stone?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Nick Herrera

Post by Nick Herrera »

Donut wrote:
Nick Herrera wrote:Ask and you shall receive.

Where did you find a 10k SiC stone?
The company I work for brought them in. It works quite well, although it's certainly not a finishing stone, as I still end up finishing with the Spyderco stones instead.
:spyder: Proud creator of the HerreraEdge :spyder:
vlawson

Post by vlawson »

forum member jackknifeh's handiwork:

"Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull
and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul"
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Hans