PICS: Valloton Sub-Hilt Folder

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Spyderco still has plenty of bang for the buck models. I'm always glad to see the more unusual designs, and collaborations. I'll definitely be getting one, even if it does have some strange attributes.
:bug-red-white
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Rutgrr wrote:I definitely want one. They probably should have use a solid black clip like on the Delica but bigger to fit the knife:

It doesn't discourage me from getting it though.
Speaking of clips are that are out of place...the Easter Egg Delicas and Enduras all should have had silver clips. The black really looks out of place on such an already "bright" knife. But I digress.

The Valloton will not be for everyone as many have stated. Clip definitely looks "slapped on" and holes in the bolsters are a thumbs down as well as the dual hole/thumb stud thing. I don't think I'll be getting one, at least at current prices. I'm afraid it won't be around long, but my mind can change. I'm loving the Dodo, Poliwog and Chokwe now.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

You know I am surprised. I'm normally the negative one, but on this folder I'm just pleased. It is a bit smaller than I expected, but after years carrying knives I've started believing that 3 3/4" is just about the perfect blade length so...... what is there to criticize?

The design is beautifully beefy, but they keep the blade thick enough so its not horridly out of proportion.

Coming from the world of guns the added modularity of having different clip positions doesn't phase me in the least, I actually like it. If they had only one clip position everyone would be complaining that it isn't to their preference. If you don't like the holes the screws are a standard thread and you can just drop new screws in there and grind it flush, or you can use some exotic material as an excuse to dress up the bolsters. *shrug*

The clip itself looks a little out of place, but I'd rather take an off the shelf clip than take a price hike for the tooling on a proprietary clip which will not be backward compatible if you break it and the model has been discontinued.

That liner lock design concerns me, but I have to imagine that someone actually handled a pre-production prototype to decide whether or not that was a good idea.

Overall I have one on the way, and nothing I've seen here is changing my mind. The fit and finish on this example looks especially nice, and I can't wait for mine.
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Got a text from my local army navy store that something i had informed them on was now in!!! I Got my son in the car and got there asap! This beautiful knife was even better in person. the moment i deployed the blade i knew i was gonna need some thread to sow the new hole in my pocket cause the purchase was guaranteed. Thx Spyderco Valloton collaboration!!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just got my Vallotton in the mail today. This thing is a tank of a knife. It's big, thick and heavy, but very nice!

I agree that it looks better in person. The clip doesn't look so out of place in person, but I still might swap the clip with a shiny clip off a Para2.

The fit and finish is flawless like almost all Taichung knives I've seen.

But the liner lock is odd. You can definitely tell it's there when your finger's in the choil. I doubt it would unlock during use, but it could get a bit uncomfortable with hard use. This is a very strange design choice, IMO. I definitely would prefer the liner lock to be flush with the choil. :confused:

Other than that, it's a very interesting design, and very well built. I really like the blade shape, and the tip grind. The blade is THICK. This is a heavy, solid chunk of a knife. It's not a typical Spyderco, and is probably not for everyone, but I really like it, and I'm glad to have it in the collection.
:bug-red-white
MCM

Post by MCM »

Must say, its as close to custom level fit & finish I have seen from a production knife.
That in itself is something.
Will probably pick up a back up, just in case.

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

MCM wrote:Must say, its as close to custom level fit & finish I have seen from a production knife.
That in itself is something.
Will probably pick up a back up, just in case.

Glad you like it..I can`t wait to get one myself!

What is that FB is your pic?
On the hunt for...
MCM

Post by MCM »

Arno Bernard African Boar tusk & Cape Buffalo sheath I picked up at Blade.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
buddy54ck

Glad I Did it

Post by buddy54ck »

This one called to Me, pulled the trigger,and couldn't be happier! No Quality issues here, Outstanding!!! Destined to be a classic!
Charlie
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I think that you are correct when you say, "destined to be a classic" buddy54ck.
One of those knives that will undersell then be discontinued, command stupid prices second hand & then have everyone calling for a sprint run.
If you think it's expensive now, wait till you call for a sprint run only to find it's too expensive to build on a small run scale.
GET IT NOW, while the getting is good :) I have.
O.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

MCM wrote:Arno Bernard African Boar tusk & Cape Buffalo sheath I picked up at Blade.
Looks great! hmmm7 inches with about 2 3/4 blade?
On the hunt for...
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

Hey O,just,O,
Couldn't Have said it better,I think that I'm going to wait for a while, but I'm thinking of buying another, the knife is so great, I'm going to put one into the rotation. Hows the weather Down there? Isn't it winter there now?
Charlie
O,just,O wrote:I think that you are correct when you say, "destined to be a classic" buddy54ck.
One of those knives that will undersell then be discontinued, command stupid prices second hand & then have everyone calling for a sprint run.
If you think it's expensive now, wait till you call for a sprint run only to find it's too expensive to build on a small run scale.
GET IT NOW, while the getting is good :) I have.
O.
Visual Articulation

I Even had to fondle this at Church!

Post by Visual Articulation »

This Knife is awesome! went to pick my son up from Vacation Bible School and couldn't stop fondling and checking the build quality. i love this fathers day present ! this knife is beautiful viscous and vivacious in the hand! :D :spyder:
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I just received mine in the mail today, the Valloton and the Navaja together. I don't know which one to fondle more.

My Valloton has a small nick on the G-10, nothing some fine grit sanding and polishing won't fix but I hate having to touch up a new knife. It's absolutely beautiful otherwise... What say you, fix it or leave it be?

The Valloton reminds me of the C95 Manix. They have the same heft and beefy feel. Aesthetically, the clip is totally out of place but I can't argue with the practicality.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
BAL

Post by BAL »

JimP wrote:I find it both hideous and alluring, if this is possible :confused: . I think it will be nice to have in the collection.
Jim, I tend to agree, maybe hideous is a bit too strong. The more I look at, the more I like, but there are a few others that I "need" to get first. Unless, I keep looking at more pictures.
emel

Valloton received today !

Post by emel »

Just received my Valloton today (for my coming birthday), 1 word:

BEAUTIFUL ! Home run Spyderco !

Even my dad who is not into knives said its the nicest knife you have in your collection, that says it all, I have a lot of very nice and (lot more) expensive knifes in house.

Very impressed by the blade shape and overall design, one thing though maybe its me..it has some sharp edged liners when you press down on top of the knife with your thumb, right behind the jimping you feel it.

The liner lock looks very strong and it locks with a nice "klack" sound.

It looks really classy, almost like an italian Stilletto and I also like the bit "heavier" feel in the hand, it gives the knife some substance, unlike some of those new airweight designs.

And as always the knife is shaving hair popping sharp, no need to touch it up.

Thanks Spyderco !
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I am loving this knife! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
BAL

Post by BAL »

emel wrote:Just received my Valloton today (for my coming birthday), 1 word:

BEAUTIFUL ! Home run Spyderco !

Even my dad who is not into knives said its the nicest knife you have in your collection, that says it all, I have a lot of very nice and (lot more) expensive knifes in house.

Very impressed by the blade shape and overall design, one thing though maybe its me..it has some sharp edged liners when you press down on top of the knife with your thumb, right behind the jimping you feel it.

The liner lock looks very strong and it locks with a nice "klack" sound.

It looks really classy, almost like an italian Stilletto and I also like the bit "heavier" feel in the hand, it gives the knife some substance, unlike some of those new airweight designs.

And as always the knife is shaving hair popping sharp, no need to touch it up.

Thanks Spyderco !
emel. Congrats man. It's a good feeling when someone else, especially your Dad (or wife)
makes a positive comment like that about a knife.
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

it's very interesting to read the polarised views on this knife. personally i think it looks very fine & want one! thanks for sharing the images with us :)
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
cheez

Post by cheez »

Hum.

It seems I am the only one who finds the finish on the new Vallotton notably worse than on other knives from Taiwan.
The one I have here [for a pass-around] has unfinished liners, and judging from the pics I have seen here and on bladeforums that is normal, it's not a lemon (at first I was really irritated, I really though it was a lemon until I saw pics from other people).
The hamaguri-grind on the tip is also a bit uneven, yet again I have seen the same on pics on bladeforums, so it seems to be happening at least more than a couple of times.
I'm not dissing the knife, it's a very interessting concept and the overall finish is very good, but a few details dont seem to fit and I dont quite understand the talk about the "great finish" - Spyderco has done better before.
For instance, on the other knifes from Taiwan I have (Sage, Chokwe, Terzuola, Zulu) the liners on the inside were finished neatly. On this Vallotton, not. Neither on the newly bought Navaja, so it seems a change in the process was made.

Now I know complaining about the finish on the liners on the inside of a knife /is/ nitpicking, but I am a knifenut after all. And I probably wouldn't even have noticed it if I hadn't seen it done better before (hence the disappointment).
Before this knife, I basically told everyone (and I still have that opinion) that the Spydercos coming from Taiwan are among the best production knife I have seen so far concerning fit and finish.

Note: The finish on the Vallotton (and Navaja, for that matter) is not bad, but from Taiwan I've seen better. I hope we get to see the exceptional finish from Taiwan again, because it sure stood out and it made a difference :)

Other opinions welcome :)

Cheers, Keno
"I sold my voice to pay for my security. Now I write my sentences on its walls." - Jason Cruz