PICS: Cat and Chicago v2.0

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
smikesmith3

PICS: Cat and Chicago v2.0

Post by smikesmith3 »

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

So how are they in person? Do they feel like mini Sage 1's?

I sure like the look of them. Thanks for the pictures.
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

My original thoughts on the first Cat/Chicago:
smikesmith3 wrote:I had the Cat but sold it and still getting rid of the Chicago. I should say that for the dollar amount you can't beat the type of knife you are getting. But on the flip side if you showed someone either of them and said it was a Spyderco, they may be turned off because I don't think the quality is that "WOW" feeling you have when you show it off.

I think we all wait around for those boxes to come in the mail with our Spyderco's and when you push that box through the sleeve and drop it out of the plastic into your hand and flick it open for the first time it puts a smile on your face and you say "Wow". With both of these knives I didn't have that same reaction BUT for the price and the features of the knife you can't go wrong. Roughly 45 and 50 bucks a piece is a fantastic price for CF, S30V and the wire low sitting clip.

I would say the Cat is perfect for an office type environment. It sits low, the wire clip is not as noticeable as the stainless steel ones and when you open it up you don't have those odd looks. I think if you are torn between the two then you have to go with the Cat, it gives a little extra blade to work with and you may find the Chicago smaller than expected.
My first impressions on the new Cat/Chicago:

I really like the G10. With such a small knife the Carbon Fiber on the original just seems way to slick. The G10 feels great in the hand. I will echo my previous statement that the Cat is the real winner though I understand why there is the Chicago (all you law abiding citizens :) ) I don't have much experience with 440C so time will only tell.

It does feel like Sage to a certain extent but only the Cat. I have very big hands and the Chicago just doesn't fit well at all. Even normal size hands should find the Cat better. A bit more blade only helps the situation. I also think in terms of looks the Chicago's blade is just weird looking vs the bigger handle.

The quality is there this time which is excellent. You can see it in the metal used to construct the knife. It seems solid and neither knives have any blade play as compared to the originals that did.

Only thing I wish was some jimping on them. Surprised they got rid of it on such a small knife.

Mike
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Thanks for the review! I'm glad I ordered these, and like you, I'm sure I'll prefer the Cat as well.
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

I really like mine except one of the liners is slightly bent inward and when the knife opens it contacts the tang. I'm trying to decide if I should exhange it or just try to fix it myself :(
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The new knives look amazing :) Bound to be great gifts.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks for the pictures! Great :)
I like textured G10 more than slick CF any day,(Sage CF excluded) glad they did it. I don't see any down side to 440C blade steel on a knife this size. All in all a nice looking package, well finished, and a great price, what is not to love. :)

SpydieZ, I don't understand?.... :p or are you joking?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sad to see the jimping is gone. That's one of the most important things for me on a little
knife. Seems like a cost cutting measure. Maybe if we ask nicely enough it will be added. Please Sal.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Can you post pictures of the knives in hand?
Thanks.
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

Are these to the exact same specifications as the original carbon fiber versions?

I have one of each of the originals & feel uneasy using them since there weren't very many production versions.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

When and where are these available? Thanks
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

Spydesense wrote:When and where are these available? Thanks
Most online knife stores have them now.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

I ordered a Cat just before seeing this thread and finding out that the jimping on the new version is gone.

What in the world is Spydie thinking?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well, small knives are probably not going to be used all that hard. So the rationale probably is jimping is not required. Your hand is probably not going to slip on a smooth knife with light use.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Well, small knives are probably not going to be used all that hard. So the rationale probably is jimping is not required. Your hand is probably not going to slip on a smooth knife with light use.
I understand the rationale but tell that to my Rookie, which sits in a drawer. A really beautiful folder -- but I've never seen a knife more in need of jimping.

This will be an easy test: the new jimpless Cat when it arrives v my old Cat with excellent jimping.

I think it will be no contest.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I'm guessing that the jimping is another one (or possibly two) stages in the manufacturing process and, as price was a big consideration, the jimping was left out because it wasn't deemed 100% necessary.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I've ordered both :)

Only downside for me is the downgrade to G10 and 440C. I like the carbon look of the originals. Also 440C is not my favourite steel it needs to frequent touch ups to keep it sharp when used on a daily base.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

flash900 wrote:I understand the rationale but tell that to my Rookie, which sits in a drawer. A really beautiful folder -- but I've never seen a knife more in need of jimping.

This will be an easy test: the new jimpless Cat when it arrives v my old Cat with excellent jimping.

I think it will be no contest.
Different handle shapes altogether. IMHO, the Rookie's lack a of both a 50/50 choil and jimping is the problem. Either one would make it much more secure, but whether both would make it any more so is questionable. Alternative, although a more expensive one, would be to wait a month or two more for the Chaparral, which has both.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
arty

Post by arty »

Does anyone know if the 440C is cryo treated? From what I have read, this would bring the level of edge retention up quite a bit.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Cant wait to get a Cat, looks good.
______
Eric.