Delica 4 with choil and wire clip

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Douglas

Delica 4 with choil and wire clip

Post by Douglas »

I put my first attempt at this project in Show Your Mods, but I'm vain enough to put this in its own thread. :cool: Bit of work left to do. The scales are sanded to 600 grit but not yet oiled, and the slight radius I put in the ricasso needs to be prettied up.

The clip donor provides support. Guess I'll have to call up the SFO and order a Caly 3 clip.

I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

That looks great! Have you fixed the blade play problem?
Spyder Count: 7
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks great, ive wanted a choiled Delica forever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

It seems as solid as with the frn scales, though time will tell. It's certainly possible that with use the wood under the screw heads will compress and cause issues. I have an idea for if that happens, but it would require some custom hardware and I'm not sure I have the metal lathe expertise required.

Just decided the choil could be rounder on both the blade and scale side. Cherry sands a LOT easier than VG-10!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Going with the 97 coats of tung oil approach to finishing so it's going to take a while, but the process is started.

Thinking of putting a mirror finish on the blade since it's rather dinged up but am afraid that if it ends up too pretty I'll be too scared to use it, which would sort of defeat the purpose.
JLS

Post by JLS »

That is wonderful craftsmanship and imagination! The wood is gorgeous and I hope to see more of your pictures in the future.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
razorsharp

Thats some impressive work

Post by razorsharp »

as soon as i got my Delica, i thought "wow!!, if only there was a choil" I thought I could mod it but id just looks too **** good (ffg blue w/ frn). That gap thats there already, works enough like a choil to me though.

Are the ergos good with the choil???

-Travis
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Ergos are about like choking up with your forefinger on the ricasso, except comfortable. The choil isn't very deep or long and wouldn't suit a large hand, though it wouldn't be very difficult to elongate the handle side of the choil.

Really, the change in shape from original on both blade and scale is minimal:

dialex

Post by dialex »

Very nice work, congratulations and thanks for sharing. Can we see a picture with the knife closed?
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Excellent job, and a very attractive knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

dialex wrote:Very nice work, congratulations and thanks for sharing. Can we see a picture with the knife closed?
Not for a bit. I don't want to assemble/disassemble more than necessary. I'm going for 15-20 coats of oil, and there's 24hrs drying between coats. That means the knife won't be back together again till the 11th of June or so. If you're just curious about how things line up at the pivot with the different shape of the scales, I could probably get a shot of that without actually putting things together. But if you want to admire the seamless joint between the mirror-polished lockbar and the scales, or criticize the contrast between the black frn backspacer and the woodgrain, then you have to wait. :p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Can't speak for Alex, or anyone else, but IMHO the black backspacer will provide a very attractive counterpoint to the wood. Pink, OTOH, might have been a bit much. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Wow, i must say...winning. Looks great.
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
newtothis

Post by newtothis »

That looks great
dialex

Post by dialex »

Douglas wrote:Not for a bit. I don't want to assemble/disassemble more than necessary. I'm going for 15-20 coats of oil, and there's 24hrs drying between coats. That means the knife won't be back together again till the 11th of June or so. If you're just curious about how things line up at the pivot with the different shape of the scales, I could probably get a shot of that without actually putting things together. But if you want to admire the seamless joint between the mirror-polished lockbar and the scales, or criticize the contrast between the black frn backspacer and the woodgrain, then you have to wait. :p
Thank you for the reply. Take your time my friend, I can wait till the knife is finished. I am sure it will worth. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Oh dear, what have I done?

Finish is coming nicely, but the wood's still sucking up oil. Starting to have a real nice feel to it before re-coating. But I'm going to have to throw it at the wall a few times when it's done so I won't feel bad about using it.

Apologies to Sal for buffing the :spyder: off.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

:eek: thats a MIRROR, it looked like a mirage , then i made out the shape of the blade lol
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Hi Douglas,

That's very nice work! Would you mind sharing what you used to recess the liners into the wood? I have an FRN ZDP Stretch looking for a new suit... :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great work,
Thank you for sharing. I love wood scales.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Knife looks great!

You have skills!
Come Join Us Click Here