Paramilitary 2 ~ A Love Story

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
SDR

Paramilitary 2 ~ A Love Story

Post by SDR »

This is my first Spydie and I am in love...

Isn't she beautiful...swoon!

P. S. -- This is also my first post, so please be gentle <G>
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Great pics...I know the feeling. Just got my own Para2 the other day and I'm in awe. :) Welcome to the forums and enjoy!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

You picked a darn good one for your first. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if you didnt get another Spyderco, that one knife would keep you happy forever. But of course, we all know that you will continue buying more and more Spyderco because you have been bitten!! Plus, keep reading and learning all the good stuff from the guys on the forum (not me) and you will get hooked even worse!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
angusW

Post by angusW »

Great choice for 1st or 500th Spydie. I already have two Para 2's but was thinking of picking up this one. Looks good. Like the fob on it as well. Wonder if you could point me to where some instructions on how to construct it are?

Also welcome to Spydieland SDR.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Good choice for first Spydie...just don't let yourself get jaded over the lower end/lower price knives. It's easy to over look some really great knives because they may not be quite the caliber of a knife like this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's sweet, those are very nice pictures. You earn a very well deserved welcome.

I think the Para 2 is a good buy for anyone's collection.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SDR

Post by SDR »

thanks, all, for the warm welcome to the cult of all things spyderco. indeed, i have sipped the kool-aid from the spydie cup and now i too have fallen under the spyder's spell. i don't know how i had resisted for as long as i did? it's not like i didn't own knives, for i own quite a few. this knife really has me hooked, though -- this knife puts fun back into the knife experience! i'm sure it won't be my last spyderco.
angusW wrote:Like the fob on it as well. Wonder if you could point me to where some instructions on how to construct it are?
angus,

here's a link to a youtube vid that shows how to make the very simple lanyard seen on my knife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAesyxzl ... er&list=UL

here is another shot of my knife that better shows the simple overhand knot that i will usually tie about an inch behind the lanyard coil. that is the knot i grab when i'm pulling the knife from my pocket.

in fact, if i had one complaint -- which i don't -- about this knife, it would be that it was shipped to me for 'tip down' carry. i mean, the crew at spyderco enlarged the spyder hole on the para 2 to make using a lanyard easier than on the original para millie and then they ship it 'tip down'???

i did encounter a problem when attempting to change the clip to a 'tip up' position. the screws on my clip had loctite on them making the job much harder than it needed to be. i tried and tried but couldn't budge a single screw. so i sent spyderco a note asking for help. thankfully, through email correspondence, charlynn @ spyderco suggested that i whack my T6 driver with a hammer while inserted in the screw. that broke the loctite and did the trick.

if owning this really great knife wasn't enough, spyderco also provides spectacular support for those of us who buy their knives! great product -- great support! a really hard combo to beat!

cheers!

*sdr*
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Looks awesome. Congrats.
Donut

Post by Donut »

And they lived happily ever after... :D
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
STAK

Post by STAK »

Donut wrote:And they lived happily ever after... :D
:spyder: And they "cut" happily ever after :D :D . . . .

I just receive my PM2 CTS 20CP :D . . . . I am so happy :D . . . . :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

STAK wrote: :spyder: And they "cut" happily ever after :D :D . . . .

I just receive my PM2 CTS 20CP :D . . . . I am so happy :D . . . . :spyder:
Congrats!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
STAK

Post by STAK »

Donut wrote:Congrats!
:spyder: Thanks, it is a very well build SPIDIE with an exotic steel for cut,cut,cut,cut :eek: . . . . and cut, before sharpened and then cut,cut,cut,cut again :eek: . . . . :spyder:
insaneinmate

Post by insaneinmate »

Thats a bad *** first spydie. :spyder:
:spyder: Spydies: Orange Manix 2, Digicam Para 2, Foliage Green FRN Delica 4

:spyder: Want List: Starmate!
applevalleyjoe

Post by applevalleyjoe »

My PARA is in the mail as we speak!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Very nice man, now I have number 1 on my wish list. The para has been there, but was not sure of which version. The Black Digi is sweet.
SDR

Post by SDR »

well, this sweetheart of a knife has been in my pocket everyday for the last couple of months and i would like to make a few observations.

this was my first spyderco knife. also, my first compression lock. based upon what i had read prior to owning this knife i had some reservations regarding this locking mechanism. i wasn't sure that i would like it?

those reservations have since given way to an absolute love for this type of lock -- at least on this knife.

i own several other knives with virtually every other type of locking mechanism i can think of -- lock back, liner lock, frame lock, axis, etc. over all of those i like the compression lock on the para 2 the best, bar none!

i had read how it took time for some to warm up to this lock. i liked it immediately and have grown to really love and appreciate how solid the lock-up is and how truly efficient and effortless it is to access and utilize.

the other aspect of this knife that has really won me over is just how fast i can deploy the blade. it is actually faster than some of my kershaw/onions that have speedsafe assisted openings. it is lightening fast!

size is another big plus for the para 2! once in my pocket it simply disappears. since i live in southern california i am always in cargo shorts and usually carry at least 3 or 4 knives of various sizes at all times. the para 2, a wenger swiss army, a kershaw corral creek, a lakota teal, and of course a small victorinox on my key-chain. see pictures below:

of these the spydie is the only one with a clip and hence is the easiest to access and therefore gets the most use throughout the day. the blade size, shape and housing make it the perfect EDC knife, IMO.

i started this thread back in late in april and titled it "a love story." that love has grown much stronger and, even through i am about to pull the trigger on a full millie, i am certain that this love story will continue to flourish and stand the test of time.

i could not be happier with my spyderco paramilitary 2 -- what a terrific introduction to the spyderco brand! the spyder [sic] has bitten this knife lover hard...VERY HARD!
troutfisher13111

Post by troutfisher13111 »

I recently started edcing a para2 as well and agree with everything your saying. It's a great blade!