Tossed a lightbox together

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
korbiaka

Tossed a lightbox together

Post by korbiaka »

I don't have a digital camera, so I'm stuck using the camera on my cell for my picture taking. I've had decent results so far as long as the pics are snapped in natural light. Whenever I get a new sharp in the mail, one of the first things I do is start snapping away, trying to race the sunset.

Last night I decided I wanted to be able to take some what decent indoor knife pics and tossed together a ghetto lightbox. Its not ideal, but the pics do come out much nicer.

Here's my "rig" and some pics of knives inside it.

korbiaka

Post by korbiaka »

Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Oh yea! That's truly a ghetto lightbox. :D Cardboard, plastic bags, tape...
Doesn't look pretty but the pics sure do. :cool:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice work!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

And it work too.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

considering your equipment, quality is amazing. Thank you for sharing lightbox design :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Nice work! A suggestion: some of your photos have a bit of glare; you might consider trying a less intense light, or using more diffusers/plastic bags. :)

Other than that, those are some very nice, well-lit pictures.
manixSA

light box

Post by manixSA »

Nice blades man.

Thanks for posting pictures of the light box. They got the mouse running on the tread mill of my mind.

Try to get some good pictures of mine up soon using your technology. :)
korbiaka

Post by korbiaka »

Simsmac wrote:Nice work! A suggestion: some of your photos have a bit of glare; you might consider trying a less intense light, or using more diffusers/plastic bags. :)

Other than that, those are some very nice, well-lit pictures.

The glare is annoying. I went from a very thin trashbag diffuser to the flexable type with a weave pattern. It didn't help. The bulp is a 60wastt twisty evergy saver so its not toooo bright. Maybe less foil in the reflector(shade)would kill the glare. The pics got fuzzy when I tried that before, tho. The auto focus on my cell is awful too.

More pics

Thanks for all the kind words about my ghetto box!
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

korbiaka wrote:The glare is annoying. I went from a very thin trashbag diffuser to the flexable type with a weave pattern. It didn't help. The bulp is a 60wastt twisty evergy saver so its not toooo bright. Maybe less foil in the reflector(shade)would kill the glare. The pics got fuzzy when I tried that before, tho. The auto focus on my cell is awful too.
Actually, those look a lot better. Those are some pretty decent pictures for a cell phone camera, I must say.
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

What about using a double thickness of bags to diffuse a little more and maybe cure the glare?
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
korbiaka

Post by korbiaka »

Nonprophet wrote:What about using a double thickness of bags to diffuse a little more and maybe cure the glare?
I put a layer of papertowel(fire hazard)on top of the glad bag and that seems to have helped. Also not having a shiney sufface for a base/back drop helps too.

Seems the fuzzy pics I get at times are directly related to my phones battery charge. Low batt = fuzzy pics.

Full battery

Lower battery charge