Left Handed Calypso Jrs.

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
The Deacon

Left Handed Calypso Jrs.

Post by The Deacon »

Posted these in the thread in General which led to them landing on my doorstep but figured they deserved a place here as well. They're incredible Sal, and I can't thank you enough. :)

[CENTER]Image

[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Oh, man ... you must feel like a dog with 2 tails ... they look sooooo nice :D Is that smooth G10 or mycarta on the black one?

The Caly Jr would probably be my favourite high-street EDC, if we were allowed to EDC lockers over here ... they are a great size and I love the steels on them. I wonder how they compare to the proposed/upcoming 'Sqeak' model?
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Senate

Post by Senate »

ChrisR wrote:Oh, man ... you must feel like a dog with 2 tails ... they look sooooo nice :D Is that smooth G10 or mycarta on the black one?
the black one is micarta.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Senate wrote:the black one is micarta.
Drooling here ... :p :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Sal truly is the man! Well that's what you get for hanging around for 6 years. :D
What exactly are they?
I mean that isn't exactly the regular variant. :confused:
Protos? Some odd variants Sal made for his personal collection or wtf?
Sal probably already has one of each ever imagined Spydie in his collection. :D
You imagine it, Sal already has it in his collection. ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Paul,
Congrats on your new knives. I believe they brought joy to you. Very nice pictures. Thank you for sharing and allow us to see these unique pieces.
Will they kick Kiwi out of your pocket? :) :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Very nice. I love that SS one. :)

What makes them left-handed? Clip position?
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

Those are beautiful man love the photography
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks everyone!
Creepo wrote:Sal truly is the man! Well that's what you get for hanging around for 6 years. :D
What exactly are they?
I mean that isn't exactly the regular variant. :confused:
Protos? Some odd variants Sal made for his personal collection or wtf?
Sal probably already has one of each ever imagined Spydie in his collection. :D
You imagine it, Sal already has it in his collection. ;)
They're left handed versions of the micarta and stainless steel Calypso Jr., regular production had the clip on the other side for right hand carry. Beyond that, I really don't know much aside from that, up until I saw the serrated LH micarta one that became the subject of the the other thread that set this in motion, I'd never seen a LH micarta Calypso Jr before and, up until I opened its box, I'd never seen a LH SS one. Sal did say in that thread that "we made a few back then".
Simsmac wrote:Very nice. I love that SS one. :)

What makes them left-handed? Clip position?
Clip position and tang stamp positions. Note that Japan is on the left side of the blade, rather than SPYDERCO and the steel markings as it would be on a right handed knife. On the serrated version, the serrations are also cut on the other side from those on a right handed serrated knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Seems like a lefty close to Sal requested some and Sal thought he might as well whip up a couple extra ones. :D
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

What big surprise these knives are! Paul, even no boye dent! You will like them, you deserve them ... congrats.
If I were you, full flat ground micarta Calypso Jr. would be my favorite. I own a righty PRCA version.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

The Deacon wrote:Clip position and tang stamp positions. Note that Japan is on the left side of the blade, rather than SPYDERCO and the steel markings as it would be on a right handed knife. On the serrated version, the serrations are also cut on the other side from those on a right handed serrated knife.
Very interesting. Thanks.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Paul,

That is awesome. I'm happy for you. A nicer guy couldn't have picked a nicer guy to give these too. You and Sal are both great.

My daughter is a lefty and I'm so proud of her for that. Not gonna try to change it one bit.

Sweet stuff. Thanks for sharing!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Showoff.....:grumble grumble:

Na, congrats, they are beautiful.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
dialex

Post by dialex »

Whoa, this is the real @#it! Isn't Sal great? Congratulations Paul, those are some **** fine knives.
The Caly jr. is the perfect example of a knife that appeared way too early for its time. I mean, take the Micarta one, for instance. How old is it, ten years, maybe more, yet it can still put to shame many of the nowadays tactical wanebee (non Spyderco) knives. ;)
I realize that he new Caly has a lot of improvements, but I guess I have a soft spot for the vintage stuff myself, that's why I'd rather pick the older version over the newest one... :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Very nice Paul. I have often drooled over the PE micarta Caly Jrs. I have an SE version and love it, but the PE tend to go for steep prices on the aftermarket. I will just keep hoping/dreaming that Sal will do another sprint run.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Denix

Post by Denix »

Wow! Impressive pair. My first EDC was the regular right-handed version of the SS model. I bought it almost exactly 10 years ago. It's still my go-to knife when I want to do serious cutting. It does an amazing job on brook trout :) .

I thought i lost it last year, but found it in the dirt near a tree that I had planted. It spent a full month in the mud and soil. A quick buffing and cleaning, and the knife is still as good as new :cool: .

Guy
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Very nice knives and pics. I'm filled with envy for these left-handed wonders. Enjoy them!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram