Still have your first Spydie?

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Pro-V

Still have your first Spydie?

Post by Pro-V »

I'm fairly new to this forum, but I've been a Spyderco user for nearly 20 years now. I only have three Spydies, but I have most definitely gotten my money's worth out of them. I thought I lost my Native SS a couple months ago (eventually found it!), and so started shopping for a replacement. That brought me here, and I've been bitten hard by the bug, drooling over everyone's collections. I have two new knives on the way, and many more on my wish list.

Anyway, here's the Pro-venator that introduced me to Sal's fine company;

It's well worn, but I can't think of many other things I own and still use regularly from the early 90's. BTW, if anyone has suggestions for replacing the worn down kraton inlay, I'd appreciate them!

So let's see your first :spyder: !!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice knife and pic. I love the look of a well worn faithful knife. Here's my large Wegner model...

- best wishes, Jazz.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

I still have both my 1st Gen Enduras from the early nineties.

I really like the clip molded into the handle and the subtle texture on the clip side of the handles. I also like the raised area around the pivot, I'm not sure why it's there but it creates a continuation of the clip thickness for my finders to brace on. The absence of a dent on the locking bar is nice as well, to me at least.
I would love to see a re-release or sprint run of the first generation knifes. I'd buy two Enduras and two Delicas.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Yup, my Cricket from the early 90's - liner goes all the way to the other side and about 1mm vertical blade play.
Attachments
Cricket Profile.jpg
Cricket Profile.jpg (97.73 KiB) Viewed 3764 times
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Nope. The first spyderco I had was a SS police SE. It got lost. Sucks big!
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

My first Spydie was an SE Endura 3 that a friend gifted me nearly 12 years ago. I had it for about 4 months when I went swimming with it in the lake and never saw it again. I know the spot where I lost it though. I am kinda interested in one day maybe seeing if I can find it, or at least seeing whats left of it... ( im assuming just the FRN handle?).
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Pneumothorax wrote:Yup, my Cricket from the early 90's - liner goes all the way to the other side and about 1mm vertical blade play.
Great pic! I always loved the aluminum crickets, looks like yours has some nice chamfered handles now :)
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I still have my CE E3, but it has seen better days and doesn't get carried any more. Before i knew much about knives I tried to give it a FFG that didn't go so well. Now that I know a little more and my knife working skills are better maybe I will try to fix it and get it back into the pocket.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

bengaiser wrote:Great pic! I always loved the aluminum crickets, looks like yours has some nice chamfered handles now :)
Yes! I used special equipment to chamfer my scales - a mix of quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies and car keys. Its like a tumbler effect. The handle got much more abuse than the blade. Ive only sharpened it about 4-5 times!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I do, it's a Native but only about 5 or so years old.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Senate

Post by Senate »

Still have it, ~20years old SE Police Model
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Of course! 1st Gen Endura in red.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love those old Enduras and Delicas. I had one in my hands in the 90's and didn't buy it - I always kick myself in the butt for not buying it whenever I think about it. I'd buy a couple also. :( Nice pics.

- best wishes, Jazz.
unit

Post by unit »

I have many Spydercos, these are a few of my favorites...including my first in the lower left.

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

matriarch vg10 nib black. bought it cause it scared the sht out of me. :eek: (i was a kid)
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

My first Spyderco, an endura that I paid a fortune:
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Tyler, Fight Club

god i love that saying. so profound. (sorry thought you should know) :o
--an eye for an eye--

"You can't escape yourself."
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

SmoothOne25 wrote:"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

god i love that saying. so profound. (sorry thought you should know) :o
:) There are a lot a good saying in this movie but this one is the best for me. It's a good resume of my addicton of the Spydercos knives. ;)
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
Tank

Post by Tank »

Lost my first one (SS Economy) home robbery, but I got this about the same time, 91ish
-John
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i dont have the first 10 Spydercos i owned, very sad i know

the first one though was just a first generation Delica1 with the fat molded clip black