New SS Kiwi Old SS Kiwi

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
RJNC

New SS Kiwi Old SS Kiwi

Post by RJNC »

Here they are side by side.[ATTACH]15457[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15458[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_3036.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3035.jpg (60.86 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Here's another pic, the blade and handle are a little bit bigger than the original.
Attachments
IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3037.jpg (62.14 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Handle comparison.[ATTACH]15461[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3037.jpg (62.14 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Nice comparison photos! Thanks for posting them!
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Thanks for the comparison. It's interesting how much disagreement there's been about whether the new one is bigger or not, with Sal I think saying that it's not. But, as your photos demonstrate, it clearly is. Really liking the look of the new one.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SaturnNyne wrote:Thanks for the comparison. It's interesting how much disagreement there's been about whether the new one is bigger or not, with Sal I think saying that it's not. But, as your photos demonstrate, it clearly is. Really liking the look of the new one.
Think Sal was merely addressing the "close to Delica size" comments. In reality there's a 1/16" difference in blade lengths and a 1/8" difference in closed lengths between the Kiwi 2 and the Kiwi 3. So yes, it's not identical to the Kiwi 2. On the other hand, it only got 3/16" closer to being "Delica size" and is still almost an inch and a half smaller.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice comparison shots, thanks for posting those. I believe I mentioned the 'near delica size' in my Amsterdam Meet report when I handled the prototype. Do realize that all my comments, especially those from such an exciting event as the Amsterdam Meet, is both subjective and from memory only.

On topic, I did handle a production version of the new slipit Kiwi and the action on that version was much smoother than on the prototype. It's still not meant to be a conventional one-hand opener, the action was too tough for that, but give me a night of watching TV on the couch and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

nice pictures thanks for the comparison
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

The Deacon wrote:Think Sal was merely addressing the "close to Delica size" comments. In reality there's a 1/16" difference in blade lengths and a 1/8" difference in closed lengths between the Kiwi 2 and the Kiwi 3. So yes, it's not identical to the Kiwi 2. On the other hand, it only got 3/16" closer to being "Delica size" and is still almost an inch and a half smaller.
I'm not quite sure if you are refering to the size differences between the old Kiwi and the new one, or the Delica. As far as i can speculate, the Kiwi 3 is about 1" smaller then the Delica when closed, and approx 2" smaller when open. It would be nice if Spyderco put the Kiwi 3 on the website so i could get the "official" measurements....

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mr Blonde wrote:Nice comparison shots, thanks for posting those. I believe I mentioned the 'near delica size' in my Amsterdam Meet report when I handled the prototype. Do realize that all my comments, especially those from such an exciting event as the Amsterdam Meet, is both subjective and from memory only.
Understood Wouter, it's just that the "I read it on the internet, it HAS to be true" mentality is all too common and some folks did take your observation as gospel.
ClusterFlux wrote:I'm not quite sure if you are refering to the size differences between the old Kiwi and the new one, or the Delica. As far as i can speculate, the Kiwi 3 is about 1" smaller then the Delica when closed, and approx 2" smaller when open. It would be nice if Spyderco put the Kiwi 3 on the website so i could get the "official" measurements....
Hope this clarifies it...
The Deacon wrote:Think Sal was merely addressing the "close to Delica size" comments.
References Wouter's observation after the Amsterdam show, and the folks who took it as literal fact.
The Deacon wrote:In reality there's a 1/16" difference in blade lengths and a 1/8" difference in closed lengths between the Kiwi 2 and the Kiwi 3. So yes, it's not identical to the Kiwi 2.
These are the size differences between the C75P2 all stainless Kiwi and the new C75P3 Kiwi 3 SlipIt.
The Deacon wrote:On the other hand, it only got 3/16" closer to being "Delica size" and is still almost an inch and a half smaller.
OAL of Delica 4 - 7 1/8" OAL of Kiwi 3 - 5 3/4" difference 1 3/8"

My measurements may not be official, but I can still read a Starrett steel rule pretty well. Inch measurement are physical, metrics are converted from them and approximate, since I don't have a metric rule.

OAL 5 3/4" 146mm
Blade 2 15/32" 63mm
Edge 2 1/16" 52.5mm
Closed 3 3/8" 81mm
Blade thickness - same as Kiwi & Kiwi 2 which Spyderco list as 3/32" 2.5mm
Weight 52 grams on my scale

My scale tends to throw a little light compared to Spyderco's, but it's pretty close. Kiwi 2 weighs 46 grams on it, while Spyderco lists them at 47.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

That does clarify things. Am I the only to think that it's weird that the product hasn't been listed on the Spyderco website or in the new product thread here? I'm hoping it's because they're so busy working on new models :D ...
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

The Deacon wrote:Think Sal was merely addressing the "close to Delica size" comments. In reality there's a 1/16" difference in blade lengths and a 1/8" difference in closed lengths between the Kiwi 2 and the Kiwi 3. So yes, it's not identical to the Kiwi 2. On the other hand, it only got 3/16" closer to being "Delica size" and is still almost an inch and a half smaller.
Ha, Paul, it must be your job to disagree with me every time I say something about the size of the Kiwi! :) (You were right the first time a few months back, for the record.) After using the search to check up on it, I stand by what I said this time; here's Sal's comment I was remembering:
sal wrote:The new model is the same size as the original kiwi.

It really wasn't designed to be easily one handed. It's more of a "pocket" knife that's ok in areas like Germany and New York, where laws are prohibitive.

I imagine we could add a clip if our customers would prefer one?

sal
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=24

But on that note, could you please give me a quick education? What's the difference between Kiwi1 and Kiwi2? I was unaware of multiple previous generations and was surprised when I saw that the new one is considered Kiwi3. If the difference is that the original was larger than the second (the size of the new one), then I will have misinterpreted Sal's comment due to my historical ignorance.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

thanks for the pictures! I am now contemplating a kiwi 3 :D
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey kids,
just got a kiwi 3 the other day.
i had never even handled an original, so i didn't know what to expect. but it fits my hand so well.
i don't care for ss handles, so i did a mod to mine, and it fits even better. the pics are in the show your mods thread.
when i first got it, there was no way i could open it with one hand, but after adding the overlays, and lots of practice, i can now deploy the blade single-handed. i use a pinch method using my thumb and middle finger to start the blade open around half way, then finish with my thumb. made my hand cramp for a while, but it is getting easier.
great little knife! nice comparison pics btw!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes: