Manix 2 mod

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Bushbadger

Manix 2 mod

Post by Bushbadger »

I made the scales for the Manix 2 a while back and now I've reshaped the handle quite a bit. It's slimmer, almost a completely different knife now. Some of you may not like how the tang is exposed when shut, I knew this would happen before doing it and I'm a big Paramilitary fan so this doesn't bother me.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Well, it's certainly all yours now!!! I like it--a meaner, leaner, fightin' machiner,...
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

2cha wrote:Well, it's certainly all yours now!!! I like it--a meaner, leaner, fightin' machiner,...
Thanks :) There certainly ain't another one like it. I just can't help myself, I have a sickness :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Nice job on the G10. How difficult was that job? I'm thinking especially of getting the cutouts for the lanyard and CBL precisely located.
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

JNewell wrote:Nice job on the G10. How difficult was that job? I'm thinking especially of getting the cutouts for the lanyard and CBL precisely located.
It wasn't that difficult actually, I thought it was easier than rescaling a Tenacious, I use the original scales as a template, just clamp them to the new G10 and drill out the holes for lock and lanyard :)
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

there you go again! :rolleyes: dude, that looks great. keep up the excellent work!!!!
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

sharpguitarist wrote:there you go again! :rolleyes: dude, that looks great. keep up the excellent work!!!!
Thanks :) The next Spyderco I'm eyeing up is the PPT, though I probably won't attack that. Though maybe orange G10 would look good on it....
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Very nice mod! Did you grind down the jimping on the liners, or are the liners new too?

EDIT: Also, looks like the openings in the scales for the BB actuator are larger (or different). Is locking and unlocking action of the knife any different?
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

Simsmac wrote:Very nice mod! Did you grind down the jimping on the liners, or are the liners new too?

EDIT: Also, looks like the openings in the scales for the BB actuator are larger (or different). Is locking and unlocking action of the knife any different?
Thanks, I ground the jimping off when reshaping the handle. The hole for the lock is a bit wider because the scales are thicker than the originals. The knife opens and closes just as it did in its original state :)
Stony

Post by Stony »

Very nice. :D
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

Bushbadger,

Looks fantastic! I'm looking to do something similar with my Manix 2 - possible with some canvas Micarta.

Was wondering what sized bits you used to drill the various screw holes? I'm guessing you did the initial thread hole, and then used a countersunk bit on top of that?

Thanks!

Dave
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Cool mod.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

jylong_away wrote:Bushbadger,

Looks fantastic! I'm looking to do something similar with my Manix 2 - possible with some canvas Micarta.

Was wondering what sized bits you used to drill the various screw holes? I'm guessing you did the initial thread hole, and then used a countersunk bit on top of that?

Thanks!

Dave
Thanks for the compliment. Erm, no idea on the bit sizes, I just used the drill bits that would fit through the screw holes, countersinking was just done with a larger drill bit. The ball lock hole was done by drillng out two holes and joining them up with a dremel. I don't use any measuring or science to do any "modding" I just play it by ear ;)
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

hey, thanks for that. I ordered some Digicam G10 from halpern titanium, and a few tools from another knife making supply site. I get the feeling that even with the proper countersinks, etc that I'm getting, it's not gonna look as good as that :(

Will see how it goes. the current situation with Australian customs and knives is making DIY mods and repairs almost a necessity!

Dave
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

jylong_away wrote:hey, thanks for that. I ordered some Digicam G10 from halpern titanium, and a few tools from another knife making supply site. I get the feeling that even with the proper countersinks, etc that I'm getting, it's not gonna look as good as that :(

Will see how it goes. the current situation with Australian customs and knives is making DIY mods and repairs almost a necessity!

Dave
No probs matey. I hear you on the knife laws, I'm a limey who moved to yankyville two years ago. I didn't realize that Australia was going the same way as the U.K.
I'm sure your Manix will look awesome when finished, if you want any pointers feel free to message me, I'm no expert though, just a basement tinkerer. I had no idea on the bit sizes 'cos I'm used to metric and everything over here is still imperial :rolleyes:
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

LOOKS great!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Nice work,really sweet. And I have gots a question ;D so the halparen titanium site is dawn,at least for me :/ What do you ussualy pay for digi camo g10? :) just give me the about price.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

HellHound wrote:Nice work,really sweet. And I have gots a question ;D so the halparen titanium site is dawn,at least for me :/ What do you ussualy pay for digi camo g10? :) just give me the about price.
I was just looking on there earlier today. A .125" thick, 12"x12" runs $30 IIRC. They also sell 6"x12" and 3"x12" sheets as well, but I don't remember if they have the digi-camo in those smaller sizes or how much they would cost. Seems like the .125"x3"x12" in other colors was usually <$10.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

jabba359 wrote:I was just looking on there earlier today. A .125" thick, 12"x12" runs $30 IIRC. They also sell 6"x12" and 3"x12" sheets as well, but I don't remember if they have the digi-camo in those smaller sizes or how much they would cost. Seems like the .125"x3"x12" in other colors was usually <$10.
thanks for the info :) well I think I'll scout out the net,find me some camo ones.