Page 3 of 155

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:25 pm
by Simsmac
Nice job jzmtl! What did you use to skeletonize the liners?

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:31 pm
by jzmtl
Simsmac wrote:Nice job jzmtl! What did you use to skeletonize the liners?
Thanks, I used cobalt drill bits and a corded drill to drill, dremel and a few grinding stone to smooth the edge.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:07 am
by Bluntrauma
sharpguitarist wrote:put scales on my tenacious:
Image
Image
added a matching backspacer:
Image
removed the delrin backspacer on my d2 milie:
Image
took the black off of my clip and gave it a "stonewashed" finish:
Image
removed the black from my other :spyder: :
Image
Image
Love what you did to the Tenacious. Is that Brown Linen Micarta? Do you do these for others or just for yourself?

Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:04 am
by sharpguitarist
Bluntrauma wrote:Love what you did to the Tenacious. Is that Brown Linen Micarta? Do you do these for others or just for yourself?
thanks! ;)
it's green linen micarta, even though it does look brown. after a few days of edc, the micarta kinda gets "polished", and darkens.
i made these scales just to personalize my knife, and i had to do it the hard way. i'm not at all set up to make these, but there are a few around that could probably help you out.
i used a scroll saw, a drill driver, a rotary tool, a bastard file and sandpaper to make these, primitive compared to what you would need to mass produce scales.
it was time consuming, but a lot of fun. and now i have a knife that's mine!
i would suggest trying it for yourself. there are enough folks around these parts that could help coach you through the process.
give it a shot, you can always put the original scales back on if you're not happy with the results.
good luck!

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:09 am
by Bluntrauma
Thanks for the tips. That is really one sweet looking knife!

Couple of Delica 4's

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:19 pm
by Jazz
No grinding or any kind of real modding - just switched the blades. The FG needed a thicker blade, so I put my favorite one on it.

Image

I really like the FFG blades, but would be much happier with a higher flat grind, not full. They seem a bit too bendy to me.

- best wishes, Jazz.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:02 pm
by unit
My latest work...
This is the greatest amount of time I have put into a single knife. The inspiration was to create a knife that many would look at and assume to be stock. In other words the modifications should appear to be as if the way the maker would have done had time and money not been a concern.

I will let you guys decide if I managed to pull it off or not.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 am
by ChrisR
Wow - you can see your face on that back-bar ... did you use a mechanical buffer or just lots of wet&dry, energy and time? :)

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:42 am
by unit
ChrisR wrote:Wow - you can see your face on that back-bar ... did you use a mechanical buffer or just lots of wet&dry, energy and time? :)
I used both. I used only a mechanical buffer on the clip, but not so much on everything else.

I made a stand alone album for this knife if anyone wants to see more photos.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:15 am
by ChrisR
unit wrote:I made a stand alone album for this knife if anyone wants to see more photos.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59
I'd love to see them but when I click on the link it asks me to log in (even though I am already logged in) and says I don't have permission to view the page :(

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:24 am
by unit
ChrisR wrote:I'd love to see them but when I click on the link it asks me to log in (even though I am already logged in) and says I don't have permission to view the page :(
Aww dang. I am new to the Spyderco photo album feature. I am not sure how to post a link to it.

Try clicking on the community tab above and go to pictures and albums...perhaps you can search it that way? (if you really want to)

Will this work?
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 am
by ChrisR
unit wrote:Try clicking on the community tab above and go to pictures and albums...perhaps you can search it that way? (if you really want to)
Thanks - found it that way ... I think the correct link should be http://spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59 but I'm not sure if the link will work.

Anyway, nice work - you can really appreciate it when it's held next to an original one :)

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 am
by unit
ChrisR wrote:Thanks - found it that way ... I think the correct link should be http://spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59 but I'm not sure if the link will work.

Anyway, nice work - you can really appreciate it when it's held next to an original one :)
Thanks...I wish I knew more about that album feature. I am starting to host a lot of my Spyderco photos there and it would be nice to post links to albums for those who are bandwidth-challenged...I guess you do not come to the Picture Gallery Forum if you can not handle the bandwidth though?

Thanks for the props. In order to REALLY appreciate it you need to hold it in your hand and use it. A good bit of the grinding and polishing took place on the blade. She will pass any cut test I give her at this point. I set a new PR for hair-whittling last night! (Spoken like a true knife geek, LOL)

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm
by Jazz
Nice job, Unit. Is that rounded off too, or just polished?

- best wishes, Jazz.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 pm
by Jazz
Well, I guess this is a mod - my first engraving. There're more pics in General Discussion...

Image

Image

Thanks for lookin'.

- best wishes, Jazz.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 pm
by unit
Jazz wrote:Nice job, Unit. Is that rounded off too, or just polished?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Rounded and polished. This one was tough to photograph...wish I had a good video camera with a macro lense.

Thanks.

BTW your engraving job is fantastic!

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:56 pm
by Jazz
unit wrote:Rounded and polished. This one was tough to photograph...wish I had a good video camera with a macro lense.

Thanks.

BTW your engraving job is fantastic!
Thank you sir. I really want a camera with macro on it, too. It would make our mods even better. ;) You've inspired me to (maybe) do a bunch of filework on a D4 and maybe I'll change the scales to Stag or something. Thanks for your cool pics!

- best wishes, Jazz.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 pm
by unit
Jazz wrote:Thank you sir. I really want a camera with macro on it, too. It would make our mods even better. ;) You've inspired me to (maybe) do a bunch of filework on a D4 and maybe I'll change the scales to Stag or something. Thanks for your cool pics!

- best wishes, Jazz.
Likewise. Your work inspires me, sir.

I have to figure out what to try next...

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:22 pm
by Bushbadger
A pretty simple mod to my latest Para, polished clip (pain in the arse to get the paint off!) and sanded down the rear bump.
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:49 pm
by unit
Bushbadger wrote:A pretty simple mod to my latest Para, polished clip (pain in the arse to get the paint off!) and sanded down the rear bump.
Fantastic work!

Some day I will get back to carrying my PM...