Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Diabelek wrote:Stretch stop pin

Like Ned said... interesting indeed! Care to explain more?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would also love to know more! That's brilliant
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ned

Post by Ned »

It looks as if it is simply held in place by holes in the steel liners...wow, that is very interesting, please tell us more. :)
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Looks cool. Looks like it pretty much eliminates blade play. Nice job.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

My newest creation: the clip point Pingo, along with its pals...

Thanks for lookin'.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Awesome Pingo mods there Jazz!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jazz, that Pingo is very classy. Nice job!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, Ned. I like how there's a lot of blade to play with on the stock version. I also like the stock one just fine, too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jazz wrote:Thanks, Ned. I like how there's a lot of blade to play with on the stock version. I also like the stock one just fine, too.
I have been wanting to try a "one arm" version with a cut out to allow opening against a pocket. Similar to the older razor style blade spines found on some traditionals like I have posted below.

*Landon*
Stony

Post by Stony »

I bought this scale off of a guy on the USN. It originally came bronzed annodized, had to bead blast the scale, screws, lock tab, stand offs, and the clip. Really happy how it turned out.

Before pics with bronze annodizing.

Reblasted version.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Stony wrote:I bought this scale off of a guy on the USN. It originally came bronzed annodized, had to bead blast the scale, screws, lock tab, stand offs, and the clip. Really happy how it turned out.
Reblasted version.

Kinda liked the bronze, but this is a bit cleaner looking IMHO.
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

xceptnl wrote:I have been wanting to try a "one arm" version with a cut out to allow opening against a pocket. Similar to the older razor style blade spines found on some traditionals like I have posted below.

Very interesting...
- best wishes, Jazz.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Jazz wrote:My newest creation: the clip point Pingo, along with its pals...

That's a really cool mod, reminds me of a Cold Steel Voyager but better. Great job!!
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Ned

Post by Ned »

xceptnl wrote:I have been wanting to try a "one arm" version with a cut out to allow opening against a pocket. Similar to the older razor style blade spines found on some traditionals like I have posted below.

You've solved a mystery for me, I always wondered what that was for! Great idea, I think that would be a great Pingo mod...

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ned wrote:You've solved a mystery for me, I always wondered what that was for! Great idea, I think that would be a great Pingo mod...
No problem. See pasted info below from A.G. Russell site regarding their folding steak knife
Our folding steak knife fits perfectly in your shirt pocket, and is so lightweight you will hardly know it is there. Send the ugly restaurant knives back to the kitchen and use this knife to cut your steak. Originally designed for anyone who has the use of only one hand. Simply hook the end of the blade on a belt loop or pocket edge and open it with only one hand.
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Made my Sage 2 slightly less leafy and added a swedge...

- best wishes, Jazz.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It's a summer swedge-a-thon for Jazz!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I guess so. :) Funny, I'm not usually a big swedge fan, but some knives need it, in my opinion.
- best wishes, Jazz.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've had a project on my bench for a while - to put wooden scales on a lightweight FRN UKPK. My main hurtle was developing a way to replicate some of the features that are molded into the inside of the FRN scale. Here are the three components that need to be designed into the replacement wooden scales. Please ignore the blotchy color - I bought a used UKPK off one of the Forums and the original owner had dyed the blue scales green...

First up is the raised area around the pivot that functions like a washer to lift the blade off of the scales.

Next up is the "pin" that anchors the backspring.

And last is the molded backspacer.

Here is how I addressed these issues. I found some aluminum spacers in my toolbox and machined them to replace the backspacer and the backspring pin. I cut them to length, drilling out the backspacer to the width of the rear bolt. Then I used a counterbore bit (without a pilot) to drill some recesses on the inside of the wooden scale to anchor both of these pins. Lastly, I installed some very thin synthetic washers on the pivot. Here are a couple of pictures:

And here is how the knife looks assembled (minus the right-hand scale):

I'll post some glamor shots of the finished product in the next post...

TedP
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Here are some shots of the final product. I didn't finish this one out to a high level of gloss, because this was my "test mule" for figuring out the scale mounting technique. I'll probably disassemble this one soon and replace the scales with something a bit more flashy. But for now, it seems to work like a charm! It will be in my pocket for the next few days...

TedP