Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

unit wrote:Fantastic work!

Some day I will get back to carrying my PM...
Thanks, this is the second camo Para I've done this to, I just love camo G10. For some reason the paint on this ones clip was the most stubborn I've ever come across, I dunked it in paint stripper first, didn't do a thing. That's some tough paint...
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Bushbadger wrote:Thanks, this is the second camo Para I've done this to, I just love camo G10. For some reason the paint on this ones clip was the most stubborn I've ever come across, I dunked it in paint stripper first, didn't do a thing. That's some tough paint...
Sal's obviously been watching these moding threads ... "Hey guys - they're using paint stripper on the clips - we need something tougher!" :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well i had planned on posting pics of my modified grip Native but i see several people have already thought of this. I didn't like how the hole was partially covered and i'm grinding out the finger grooves deeper and bigger to fit my sausage fingers better. I'll throw up a pic when i'm finished.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:Well i had planned on posting pics of my modified grip Native but i see several people have already thought of this. I didn't like how the hole was partially covered and i'm grinding out the finger grooves deeper and bigger to fit my sausage fingers better. I'll throw up a pic when i'm finished.
Can't wait to see it. I still wish the hole was bigger on the Native. Maybe it's my fat thumbs - I know a lot of people obviously must like the Native.

- best wishes, Jazz.
tuffthumbz

Post by tuffthumbz »

ImageImageImage
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Here ya go...the changes are pretty low key to say the least and take a keen eye and someone who has handled a Native to realize they're there (aside from the difference in texture where FRN was removed) but the difference in feel is big, especially with the first finger groove where your first finger rests...that make more difference to me than anything else. It is a LOT easier to open now. I thought about grinding in deeper with the 2nd groove to make it even easier to hit the hole but i wanted to keep the handle looking factory and i'd have to go into the pattern on the handle to do that.

Here's before and after...it's the same knife, just different lighting

Here's a closed shot to show how the hole is exposed now
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice work. Thanks for the pics, David. Mine goes up into the handle texturing, but still looks suprisingly like it's meant to be that way. Hard to see in my pics - I need to take a better one.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

tuffthumbz wrote:ImageImageImage
Very nice! Did you do that?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Decided to Wharncliffe my Combo Edge Meadowlark. I had to grind a lot of blade away to get rid of the serrations, though. I'd like it better if I had a PE to start with, but I can't get one. So, as you can see the edge is up quite a bit, and where the arrow points I had to grind a bit off because as you can see in the second pic the blade isn't completely closed...

It looks a bit odd with so much blade sharpened away, but what can I do? I know, Sal can make me one in this size! :D Turned out okay with what I had to work with (I had to get rid of those serrations :( ). Also today, I made my Pacific Salt pointier...

Thanks for lookin'.

- best wishes, Jazz.
shotcaller88

Post by shotcaller88 »

My new edc and first modded spydie. I love my caly 3, but really prefer tip down. This will have to hold me off until the para2.

D4 G10 w/ STR low rider titanium clip
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

My first Persistence rescaling. Carved up green G10 with a back spacer made from some left over camo G10. Shout out to Sharp Guitarist who inspired me to do a backspacer when I saw his Tenacious rescale.

Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Bushbadger, that is one fine mod. Makes your Persistance look custom!!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Image Image Image Ats34 millie with the clip of native adjusted for lanyard hole carry. Now it rides nice and low in the pocket and has a ghetto wave to boot :)
Attachments
Image0217.jpg
Image0217.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 17904 times
Image0216.jpg
Image0216.jpg (97.05 KiB) Viewed 10826 times
Image0213.jpg
Image0213.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 18023 times
Image0212.jpg
Image0212.jpg (97.7 KiB) Viewed 17917 times
thewannabesurvivalist
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

^ Very cool :cool:
unit

Post by unit »

I love this thread!

I have not updated it lately with some of my recent work. Here is a video of me having fun with my Mule that I made a sheath and handle slabs for. the most important mod to the knife (I think) was re-profiling and sharpening...I just love a sharp knife!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cActYLNDgxk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cActYLNDgxk&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
GRIFFIN HAWKS

Spyderco Tendentious Scale Mod

Post by GRIFFIN HAWKS »

Howdy Y-all, New guy here at SF and really liking the Mods !
Spyderco already has great design and never ending new developments but a little Handcraft never hurts to help one enjoy the use of your prized possessions ,) I'm not so comfortable with the metal aspect of this (yet) so here's a starter with my first hand filed scale Mod ..
There's some GITD and Tritium mods on the way .. !

BE WELL .. GH
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

GRIFFIN HAWKS wrote:Howdy Y-all, New guy here at SF and really liking the Mods !
Spyderco already has great design and never ending new developments but a little Handcraft never hurts to help one enjoy the use of your prized possessions ,) I'm not so comfortable with the metal aspect of this (yet) so here's a starter with my first hand filed scale Mod ..
There's some GITD and Tritium mods on the way .. !

BE WELL .. GH
That is so cool! I want to see more!

- best wishes, Jazz.
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

Very nice griffon hawks that tenacious looks really awesome
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Bushbadger wrote:My first Persistence rescaling. Carved up green G10 with a back spacer made from some left over camo G10. Shout out to Sharp Guitarist who inspired me to do a backspacer when I saw his Tenacious rescale.

Another gorgeous one! Those seem to be good models to "tweak". :)
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

used some paint stripper today:

In omnia paratus