Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Show your mods!

Post by apollo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:15 pm
ImageI gave the Delica S90V a clip tune up this afternoon . MG2
Nice job Dan. Is the color in the clip thanks to the background or does it looks that way in real life?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageLighting will have an effect of how the clip looks . Brighter light will bring out more color . I will send you a picture of a bright light shot today . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:25 pm
The knife will open if you drop it quick then introduce a sudden pause/stop but I consider this a benefit because the knife always fully deploys and I am completely confident that it will not open in my pocket. I checked the local laws for my state and this knife doesn't violate any of them with the 2nd detent removed, I recommend you do the same if you decide to remove it.
I looked up NY knife laws, and was surprised to find you are correct. “Gravity knives” have been removed from the knife laws as deadly weapons and so are legal as of 2019. Of course, NYC is still extremely hostile. All bets are off there as law and logic are twisted.
Fly Fishing Rick

Post by Fly Fishing Rick »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:33 am
Fly Fishing Rick wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:25 pm
The knife will open if you drop it quick then introduce a sudden pause/stop but I consider this a benefit because the knife always fully deploys and I am completely confident that it will not open in my pocket. I checked the local laws for my state and this knife doesn't violate any of them with the 2nd detent removed, I recommend you do the same if you decide to remove it.
I looked up NY knife laws, and was surprised to find you are correct. “Gravity knives” have been removed from the knife laws as deadly weapons and so are legal as of 2019. Of course, NYC is still extremely hostile. All bets are off there as law and logic are twisted.
Yea, knife laws in NYC are a grey area, luckily I live up near the opposite end of the state.
-Jimmy
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI eliminated fade and went solid and a little darker on the clip . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageAnother clip sandblasted and heated . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

To me Mods = Customization. My old employer went I was in school was known as King of Customizers, did lot of work for TV, and Motion Pictures (aka Movies).
cjk

Post by cjk »

G-10 wharncliffe dragonflies. This was quite a bit of effort to get to work successfully.

Last edited by cjk on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

On the other hand, this one was easy!

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Wow great job ! They look great , MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Dragonflies are outstanding. Wish they would do a version just like this mod . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

cjk wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:35 am
G-10 wharncliffe dragonflies. This was quite a bit of effort to get to work successfully.

May I ask what made it an effort. I am thinking of doing aftermarket scales on a k390 wharncliff delica and tryna see if the wharncliff is what made it like that.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
cjk

Post by cjk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote: Dragonflies are outstanding. Wish they would do a version just like this mod . MG2
Me too. So much, I felt compelled to make it so. :smiling-halo
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:57 pm
Wow great job ! They look great , MG2
Thanks!!
Last edited by cjk on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:48 pm
cjk wrote:
May I ask what made it an effort. I am thinking of doing aftermarket scales on a k390 wharncliff delica and tryna see if the wharncliff is what made it like that.
The Delica 4 wharncliffe scales and backspacer are just like any other Delica 4. Once you've swapped scales on a Delica 4 once or twice, it's pretty easy. The pakkawood Delica 4 I did above originally came with a HAP40 normal Delica blade. That was a simple blade and lockbar swap. That took me maybe 10 minutes.

What made blade swapping the Dragonfly a pain was I had to make a new spring as the original one on the G-10 dragonfly was too long to mate to the wharncliffe blade's lock bar. The original spring was also super strong. If you shorten the original, it goes from super strong to way way way too strong. It needs to be shortened by about 5mm if you re-use the original spring.

Also if you re-use the original spring, you'll probably want to sand it down so it's not as thick so it will be more pliable (and the lock bar will not take a pliers to operate). I sanded one down from about a thickness of 1.5mm to about 1mm. I think that was a bit too far. If I did it again, I think I'd try more like 1.25mm-ish.

On the second one, I ended up ordering some lockback spring material and just made a new one instead of modifying the original.

Then I also felt the need to give the tip more clearance so I modified the backspacer. The tip didn't touch before I did that, but there was very minimal clearance.

It wouldn't surprise me if I had the first one I did together then back apart a couple dozen times before I was happy.

I should point out the that Spyderco calls the G-10 Dragonfly just "Dragonfly" while the FRN ones are called "Dragonfly 2". So this swap was probably not the smartest thing in the world to do, but I'm pleased that I got it to work.

Like Sal says, they aren't Legos.
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

cjk wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:33 pm
Jurmuscle wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:48 pm
cjk wrote:
The Delica 4 wharncliffe scales and backspacer are just like any other Delica 4. Once you've swapped scales on a Delica 4 once or twice, it's pretty easy. The pakkawood Delica 4 I did above originally came with a HAP40 normal Delica blade. That was a simple blade and lockbar swap. That took me maybe 10 minutes.

What made blade swapping the Dragonfly a pain was I had to make a new spring as the original one on the G-10 dragonfly was too long to mate to the wharncliffe blade's lock bar. The original spring was also super strong. If you shorten the original, it goes from super strong to way way way too strong. It needs to be shortened by about 5mm if you re-use the original spring.

Also if you re-use the original spring, you'll probably want to sand it down so it's not as thick so it will be more pliable (and the lock bar will not take a pliers to operate). I sanded one down from about a thickness of 1.5mm to about 1mm. I think that was a bit too far. If I did it again, I think I'd try more like 1.25mm-ish.

On the second one, I ended up ordering some lockback spring material and just made a new one instead of modifying the original.

Then I also felt the need to give the tip more clearance so I modified the backspacer. The tip didn't touch before I did that, but there was very minimal clearance.

It wouldn't surprise me if I had the first one I did together then back apart a couple dozen times before I was happy.

I should point out the that Spyderco calls the G-10 Dragonfly just "Dragonfly" while the FRN ones are called "Dragonfly 2". So this swap was probably not the smartest thing in the world to do, but I'm pleased that I got it to work.

Like Sal says, they aren't Legos.
Wow. Thank you for the in depth feedback. Yes that sounds like stuff above my current level of knowledge. But as long as the Delica shouldn't be a problem hopefully won't be to bad. I'm talking with someone about getting some Ti scales. The K390 wharncliff is really interesting me.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageManix just came in so clip just didn’t look right until now .
Henry David Thoreau
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I swapped the Teal PM2's S90V blade into a DLC Digicam PM2.

In more than a decade since I started using Spyderco's I never had the opportunity to buy that holy grail CF S90V PM2. This is nice alternative!

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 am
I swapped the Teal PM2's S90V blade into a DLC Digicam PM2.

In more than a decade since I started using Spyderco's I never had the opportunity to buy that holy grail CF S90V PM2. This is nice alternative!

Love it , The scales look great with a black blade . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Nice job 👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thank you! Easy mod, you don't even have to remove the lanyard tube.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi