Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The next time I buy material for scales, I think I'm going to get some Kirinite. The red-orange pattern looks pretty cool.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

jabba359 wrote:I buy a lot of my material from USA Knife Maker, who happens to carry Kirinite: http://usaknifemaker.com/handle-materia ... inite.html. While it looks interesting, I've never tried it and none of the patterns has really made me want to spend the money to give it a go.
Interesting, the material and pattern resembles the stuff bowling balls are made of.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Mako109 wrote:Interesting, the material and pattern resembles the stuff bowling balls are made of.
We should nickname it "Mother of Bowling Ball"... :rolleyes:

TedP
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bladekeeper wrote:Just wondered if any if you guys have seen kirinite .
It gives a very nice finished scale almost gemstone in appearance with unique qualities.
I think its a uk product and kirinite a brand name but here is a link to a site.
Some if these I've seen in knives and they look stunning , its Acrylic and is very easy to work with.
Keeping it cool is the only thing that has to be kept in mind I think it would make some fantastic scales for spydies.
http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.u ... onate.html

Any opinions .

Here is a finished knife NOTE I have no affiliation just thought I'd share as it isn't something I've seen used here.
http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.u ... -1952.html

Another finished knife oyster block on a blade http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.u ... ble-L.html
That stuff is pretty awesome. It's like plastic marble.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yesterday polished up the clip on my Matriarch 2 Emerson (well, took off the paint, anyway), today decided to do the same for the Stretch 2. Very happy with the results.

The downside: I lost one of the screws and can't for the life of me find it. So I ordered a new satin clip from SFO along with an extra set of screws (6 total), lol. The center clip screw here is actually off the Matriarch, thus it doesn't have the black paint recessed in the head like the other two. Even with two on for now, it holds well enough until the new ones come in.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Those tiny screws have the most annoying way of bouncing and hiding when you drop them on the floor... :mad:
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pockets wrote:Those tiny screws have the most annoying way of bouncing and hiding when you drop them on the floor... :mad:
I normally work on a non-skid surface like a towel, but I felt like scrubbing the screw heads down with my abrasive and had it held up high in a pair of pliers. FML.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kaukol

Post by kaukol »

Fixed two small issues I had with my Salt I. I definitely like it better this way :)

[ATTACH]21921[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_9000.JPG
korbiaka

Post by korbiaka »

I modded this leafstorm stock scale, normally wears this Wilkins so i didnt care if i trashed the production one. I like how it came out tho.

Heres the Wilkins.

Holland

Post by Holland »

That looks insane! nicest leafstorm ive seen!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

kaukol wrote:Fixed two small issues I had with my Salt I. I definitely like it better this way :)

[ATTACH]21921[/ATTACH]
Very nice work. I'm not a fan of low rider clips, but you did a nice job. I'm a huge Salt 1 fan. :) Thanks for sharing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
beatlman87

Post by beatlman87 »

sage 2
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

kaukol wrote:Fixed two small issues I had with my Salt I. I definitely like it better this way :)

[ATTACH]21921[/ATTACH]
I love this mod, need to add it to my list of wants!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

beatlman87 wrote:sage 2
Very cool! How'd you do it?
- best wishes, Jazz.
beatlman87

Super easy

Post by beatlman87 »

Jazz wrote:Very cool! How'd you do it?
I just put nail polish over the area I wanted to remain shiny (edge, spyderco logo, and random dot pattern) then I suspended the blade in a cup of PCB Etchant Solution ($12) from RadioShack for 30 minutes. Then I rinsed it off and used some cotton balls and nail polish remover to clean it up! It was surprisingly simple ;)
jackknifeh

Manbug G-10 with kirinite scales

Post by jackknifeh »

I put this in the general forum then thought I should have put it here.

I put a set of kirinite camo desert scales on my Manbug. I like the way this stuff reacts to different light. It has a bit of transparency which gives it a 3-D appearance, especially with different light. Comes in several colors but it'll be personal preference of course what you like. Looks like orange would be bright, like an orange and white sherbert. REALLY pretty but is it right for you on a pocket knife? Individual preference.

with flash
no flash

Here is a pic of the Manbug and Sage4 with kirinite. I like pairing these with the same scales because I carry them both so often and I like having a "set" or "pair". Goofy, huh? :) I messed up the scale for the other side of the Sage so I need to get more of this material to finish it.

I really like the way it looks in sunlight.

Kind of off subject but I need to find some tubing for the lanyard hole. These scales, like many of the ones I make are thicker than the original ones so the lanyard tube is too short. My local choices are Lowe's or Ace. I would want it to be soft enough so I can swell the ends to make them semi-permanent if I want. The one in this knife now, because of how many times I've taken it apart is loose. If it weren't for the FOB it might fall out without me knowing it. Also, I'm glad I like these scales. I may never remove them. When I work with this knife (disassembly/assembly) I get the feeling the screw threads are reaching the end of their life. Being so small and the threads being so tiny I guess they won't last forever if removed and replaced many times. Mainly, since I'm not 100% accurate with my hole placement reassembly is sometimes difficult. When I put the knife together with the original scales everything just falls into place. If the holes aren't perfect you need to push a little to get one of the pins to go all the way through the handle. This knife is the first one I've had this "end of screw life" feeling but I'm going to listen. I like this knife model too much to take a real chance of ruining it or it needing repair or replacement. The fact that this knife is so small and the screw holes are so close together I'm sure reduces any margin of error on hole placement. If I'm off by .1mm and the holes are double the distance from each other on a larger knife the impact in reassembly is less. I just thought I'd mention this for anyone who may think of making scales. Just because you don't "break" something, the small parts have a life limit if you want to force the issue.
Holland

Post by Holland »

the scales look great!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

Just finished a Delica with ruby red G10 scales, pencil line black G10 liners and ruby red backspacer. Beautiful little knife...!

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

BOOMER,

OUT(don't want to type what goes here)STANDING!

That is really beautiful. How did you do those scales? What tools? That is a great looking knife.

Jack
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

jackknifeh wrote:BOOMER,

OUT(don't want to type what goes here)STANDING!

That is really beautiful. How did you do those scales? What tools? That is a great looking knife.

Jack
Jack... Thanks for the enthusiastic comment...!

These have been engraved with a 90 deg. v-bit on my CNC router. First time I've attempted this. Might have to investigate the technique further. It really turned out nicely...!

Those Kirinite scales of yours are terrific looking... I'm real tempted to get some to play with...!