Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

BOOMER52 wrote:Jack... Thanks for the enthusiastic comment...!

These have been engraved with a 90 deg. v-bit on my CNC router. First time I've attempted this. Might have to investigate the technique further. It really turned out nicely...!

Those Kirinite scales of yours are terrific looking... I'm real tempted to get some to play with...!
If you get some kirinite be aware it is very soft to work with. MUCH MUCH softer than G-10. I ruined my first scale I tried because I cut much too much before realizing it. I was using a chamfer router bit in a Dremel and even the post that is supposed to ride along the edge of the material cut into the kirinite. I assume it created enough heat to melt it. It acts more like plastic when working with it than G-10 or wood, etc.

There are some really interesting colors in this stuff though. I could see using it for a lot more than just knife handles. One thing about it is the color pattern isn't consistant through the depth of the material. As you sand downward the pattern will change. It's like different paint colors have been stirred instead of layered like you get with layered G-10 and things like that.
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

jackknifeh wrote:If you get some kirinite be aware it is very soft to work with. MUCH MUCH softer than G-10. I assume it created enough heat to melt it. It acts more like plastic when working with it than G-10 or wood, etc.
Thanks for that head's up...! Now I'm wondering if the heat generated with router machining would be problematic with this material. Truly experimentation if I decide to pick some up.

Thanks again Jack...
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

So would kirinite be easy to work with files instead of a Dremel? And slow drilling speeds?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Pockets wrote:So would kirinite be easy to work with files instead of a Dremel? And slow drilling speeds?
Yes. I did get one scale for my Sage4 completed and a set for my Manbug by doing most of the initial cutting/shaping with the Dremel. Once I got close to the final shape of the liners I used sandpaper by hand. Or with the Dremel I used abrasive buffs (I think thats the name) to shape the surface. The Sage4 scales are a tad under 1/8" thick and I bought 3/16" thick kirinite. I like getting material thicker than needed so I can play with it (or recover from an accident :) ). Leaves opportunity for shaping options. Plus a thicker handle feels a little better to me. The buffs are similar to a 3M scrubbing pad of different hardnesses (grits). I tried a felt Dremel polishing wheel with 3µ DMT paste and it immediately dug into the surface. I may have had the Dremel too fast. I don't remember. But, the kirinite is removed fast enough that using the less aggressive methods is not as time consuming as harder materials. You would think this would be a benificial aspect. I guess it is as long as you know how to deal with it. Also, being of a softer texture it provides a nice grip. Also, I'm thinking it may scratch less in a pocket with change and such because the material may "give" instead of scratch. I'm thinking of the titanium bolsters on the Sage4 which scratch if you look at them hard compared to the softer scale material. I carried the Sage4 in my pocket for a day or two and to be honest I kind of liked it. Having the heavy knife in the bottom of my pocket actually felt good. Very easy to get out also. I was wearing jeans though. I wouldn't want it there if I were wearing slacks. Normally I would carry only small pocket knives like this any more and have to dig for it depending on the other crap I accumulate in a pocket. You know, hundred dollar bills and such. :rolleyes:
jackknifeh

Sage4 with black linen (micarta)

Post by jackknifeh »

This is a set of micarta scales for the Sage4. I had a set of double black G-10 scales on this knife and really liked them. The contrast of black with the silver bolsters looks nice to me. I like the micarta more because it provides a much better grip. Surprisingly, it is the cheapest scale material I've seen. All the best attributes, great quality and performance and inexpensive too. :)

When I got the Sage4 I didn't plan on messing with it but the Arizona ironwood split when I caught the clip on something. The clip didn't bend. It sort of spun outward to a 90° angle. This caused the wood to split. That's when I decided to make new scales for it. So, my pretty Sage4 has become one of my favorite knives for EDC and I can have different looks if I want. I think the final will either be these scales or kirinite when I get new material. Who really knows? Obviously not me. :)

EDIT: I also stonewashed the blade, bolsters and liners a while back. IMO the Sage line is one of the best ever. Just my opinion of course.

BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Very nice modification. I love the biohazard pattern and I like the GID back-spacer.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's crazy!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Could that be the infamous stryderco? The butt of the handle does resemble a strider. Must say that is a nice mod.
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

VashHash wrote:Could that be the infamous stryderco? The butt of the handle does resemble a strider. Must say that is a nice mod.
I was tossin' around Delirider or Stridica... but Stryderco has a ring to it.

Since it was a Delica frame I didn't think the OEM profile had the 'zombie killer' looks. So... I put some heft and muscle at the butt end. I thought about doing a matched pair one black with a toxic backspacer and the other toxic green with a black backspacer...

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Those modded Delicas look very interesting, how are the ergonomics?
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

Mr Blonde wrote:Those modded Delicas look very interesting, how are the ergonomics?
The ergos are not all that different. The extra heft at the heel allows for a full hand comfort grip... at least for my medium sized hand. With the OEM Delica the ring and little finger flex at the palm junction and are not influenced by the knife heel. The mod provides a bit more depth at the heel which allows the ring and little finger to wrap grip that heel area VS flex gripping it. Not sure if that is clear enough of an explanation... hope it is...!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I get what you're saying it gives you more surface area at the end of the knife instead of curving up and leaving you hanging a little.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

I like those handles.

Now you just need to cut a choil into the blade which takes away a half of the usable edge and you'll almost be at Strider status... :p
BOOMER52

Marine Tribute... Semper Fi...

Post by BOOMER52 »

Donut

Post by Donut »

Boomer, that is amazing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Wicked tribute scales!!! Very nice detailing!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BOOMER52 wrote:Image

Ok that's pretty outstanding. I'm impressed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

thats neat man!!! really like it! what material did you use?
aogami super blue dragonfly!
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

polyhexamethyl wrote:thats neat man!!! really like it! what material did you use?
Olive drab G10 with 60 thou black G10 liners and olive drab G10 backspacer...