Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Surfingringo

Re: Show your mods!

Post by Surfingringo »

In case anyone was wondering, that is my Cruwear Millie that Chad was experimenting on. ;) Darby picked it up for me last year at the factory seconds sale and I finally got around to getting it from him. I recently converted my 52100 millie to tip up and it completely changed the knife for me and made me realize that once I am able to carry it tip up, the Millie becomes one of my favorite folders.

Unfortunately I kind of botched the job on my 52100. I got it all together but by the time I finished one of the holes was wallowed out (apparently when you are countersinking you should avoid going all the way through :rolleyes: ) and two of the screw heads were stripped. It looks ok and I think it will hold but it is a hack job and if I ever bend the clip and need to remove it I'm screwed.

This right here is why I sent this knife to Chad.

Chad has done a couple of jobs for me before including a mule handle and a sheath and it quickly became very clear that he is an absolute perfectionist with his work. I didn't offer any ideas...I just had Darby send the knife straight to him and asked him to convert it to tip up however he thought best. I had zero concerns that it would be anything less than perfect. Thanks again Chad!

*** Forgot to mention, the day after I received the knife, I cut the corner too close walking through a doorway and the clip snagged on the doorframe. I actually heard it bend and rebound and my heart sank. I was sure that as hard as I hit it must have ripped the fasteners loose but to my relief and surprise it was as good as new. Solid work.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Surfingringo wrote:In case anyone was wondering, that is my Cruwear Millie that Chad was experimenting on. ;) ...... Thanks again Chad!

*** Forgot to mention, the day after I received the knife, I cut the corner too close walking through a doorway and the clip snagged on the doorframe. I actually heard it bend and rebound and my heart sank. I was sure that as hard as I hit it must have ripped the fasteners loose but to my relief and surprise it was as good as new. Solid work.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lance! :)

I'm glad to hear it made it through the first week :p :D. I hope it continues to serve you well for as many years as you use it.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice info and read about the Millie helicoil mod, xplorer, slick work!
Going back to Caly.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the helicoil idea as long as they don't pop out. My plan was to find an old Spydie that was damaged for cheap and cut off the end of a liner that already has threaded holes in it and then mill out a spot in the Military scale for it to nest into. Probably a bit more work than helicoils but should provide factory level strength and reliability.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:Image

Not sure how I missed this. Is that bamboo?
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
BOOMER52

Re: Evil D

Post by BOOMER52 »

Evil D wrote:

Looks like natural canvas Micarta... educated guess...
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BOOMER52 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Looks like natural canvas Micarta... educated guess...
Yeah you're probably right.

Hey are you gonna be working on scales for the new Military changes?
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

I picked this one up yesterday. This is a new knife but it has undergone a scale-swap so the pink scales did not start with this blade. I love zdp-189 and the price was a bargain, but the color? I already had some RIT dye so the color was an easy fix and I love how it turned out. :) :spyder:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Looks GREAT remnar. I like that Red. Well done!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Xplorer wrote:Looks GREAT remnar. I like that Red. Well done!
Thanks, I'm really liking it too. :) :spyder:
farnorthdan

Re: Evil D

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:

Boomer is on the mark, natural canvas micarta by Cuscadi, added some mineral oil to darken it up a bit. They are contoured better than the stock, really fit the hand nicely.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Been meaning to swap the Black Ladybug Hawkbill blade into an all black ladybug for a while now, but just recently got the all black ladybug at the seconds sale. So, now that its done -

Really wish a model like this would come to regular production, I love the all black look on this little knife.
-Nick :bug-red
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I call it the Manix 2 Milspec:
RGT Anodised alloy scales in Olive drab
Pop's Custom deep carry Spartan clip
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

Reject

Post by Reject »

:o Not really a mod; just some new scales from Flytanium for the Paras.
Love them. :D

How much can a Koala bear?
IDKnives

Post by IDKnives »

14500211_1071806916269679_8991660246783510207_o.jpg
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Looking good IDKnives and welcome to the forum.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Not the most 'in-your-face' mod of all time- But I smoothed and beveled all the edges of the G10 on my Cat then polished the result....Quite please how it came out.

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

demoncase wrote:

That looks fantastic.
- best wishes, Jazz.