Sage and Native 4 Review and Pics

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
uhmeebuh

Sage and Native 4 Review and Pics

Post by uhmeebuh »

So, I hadn't considered Spyderco in the past mostly because I didn't like their strange looks. Well, it turns out those looks are functional and they make a good knife! Whooda thunk?

As I did some (ok lots) of research, I came across the Native 4 and Sage. Both were carbon fiber, good blade steel, nice finger choil, and looked to be a nice EDC addition for me. I was dead set on the Native 4 to be the winner of the two for a few reasons. It just looked better, was a bit slimmer, and it cost more so it might be better right?

I ordered these a few days before I moved and, sure enough, they got lost in the shuffle and finally showed up today after I has called the vendor and arranged an RMA. Boy am I glad they made it!

Well, I quickly open them up to start the comparison and take a few pics for the collective. And the result was not what I had expected...the sage looks to tbe the better knife of the two.

The sage is a bit larger in all dimensions than the N4. It's a bit exaggerated by the pic.

Blades - the sage bug logo is actually 3D and engraved into the blade. A nice touch over the N4 IMO.

I knew the Sage was made in China annd I wasn't too thrilled about it but clearly the tolerances at the factory are excellent as is the QA. Interestingly, the pics I had seen before all said CHINA...which now says Taiwan in a smaller font.

The sage blade is perfectly centered in the handle. You can't tell from the pic but the N4 is a bit to the right...

The sage is a bit thicker but it's an open design and is lighter than the N4. The blade is a bit thicker as well (on top of the flat grind goodness).
uhmeebuh

Post by uhmeebuh »

I never warmed up to the backlock - I'm too used to framelocks and axis locks. The walker liner lock is superb (assuming you're OK with a liner lock) and the ball bearing detent works like a charm. The pivot is very smooth. The N4 had a little grinding right out of the box and was rather sticky when opening or closing. The edge goes to the sage yet again.

The sage has a nice cut out in the handle that allows your thumb to get into the spydie hole for opening. The N4 does not and I had a hard time getting to the hole. The hole placement just seemed off on the N4.

I find in hand pics to be very useful to get a feel for ergos and size.

Sage - easy to get to the thumb hole and the thumb ramp is grippy and present. The CF is grippier too. Closing is easier too...but I'm biased. I like the Axis lock more.

Native 4 - thinner, heavier, harder to close, no thumb ramp, too smooth CF...clearly, I've already chosen my winner.
uhmeebuh

Post by uhmeebuh »

A few comparison pics with my ZT0300 for size purposes.

And the winner is...THE SAGE!

My only complaint is the "Taiwan" marking on the blade and I'd prefer a stonewashed finish. I can't wait for the framelock Sage and the Leafstorm...
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Nice review and photo's. Both knives look great, but this thorough review made me want to try the Sage over the N4. Enjoy the new toys :)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
elpidi0526

Post by elpidi0526 »

Beautiful. I love the new flat grind on the Native 4. Expensive, but nice.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Nice pictures and review. The fit and finish on my Sage is also extremely good.

AFAIK there have never been any Sages made in China, you might be thinking of the Tenacious? It is also a liner lock and about the same size..

Sverre
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

Nice couple of knives there. Good review. I've owned a Sage since 8/09/08 and recently pick up a second Sage. Sage is without doubt the absolute best value ever. The construction is the exemplification of perfection, it is flawless. I have personally begun searching for Sages I may purchase at low prices and when I convert a knife nut, this is the knife I sell them.
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

I have to agree with you 100% on the Sage vs. the N4. I picked up the Native IV right when it hit the street and it just didn't fit me. I was really excited about the CF scales but they were too smooth for my taste.

That next weekend I took a trip up the the SFO and they showed me the Sage, I feel in love instantly!! The textured CF was perfect, not too slick, not too textured. the handle filled my smallish hands just right and it had a wire clip to boot!!!

The only downside is the Taiwan markings but to be honest if that wasn't there I could just as easily say it was made in Golden or in Japan the quality is superb, it just goes to show that Spyderco's quality control supersedes that of the countries origins and reputation for that matter!!!
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
hickster

Post by hickster »

The Sage is almost in a class of its own. Its the only knife with the "twill carbon fiber" and the texture is perfect for this type of knife. The build quality is jewel-like. As much as I like carrying my bigger, more manly "work" knives, my Sage definitely gives me a warm and fuzzy. I say give that Taiwanese factory more business!
hickster
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

Couple of photos illustrating a lanyard attached, which many believe not possible.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Great pic's. Great review. I agree with you.
The Sage is my choice as well, for an all round knife.
Of course I rotate my Spyderco carries.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

That native is amazing.

It looks good open. But **** they even streamlined that thing when closed. I wish I had unlimited cash I would be tempted to try that sucker out even though I only carry traditional slipjoints these days.

Also the thinness is awesome.
firebert

Post by firebert »

awesome review, I choose the sage over the native 4 aswell, while they are both great knives, I'm real glad i went with the sage.