Ian UK wrote:
What/how do you put the groove in with?
Hi! Sorry it took me while to reply. I was away for the weekend.
I use a Dremel Flex Shaft tool.
1. Tape the blade
2. Pad a bench vise with thick leather strips to further protect the blade.
3. Firmly hold the blade, edge up, in the vise. Clamp the blade not the handle. Wrap the handle with paper towel and tape to keep metal filings from going into the handle recess.
4. I start with a 5/32" metal removal tungsten bit (1/8" works also)to open the half-moon shape hole and then switch to a 5/32" chain saw sharpening round silicon carbide type bit. This is as far as I go with the typical Spyderco finish. A mirror finished blade will need further steps.
5. Try to anchor your hands well in order to steady yourself, start right where the ricasso meets edge, keep the bit straight and perpendicular to the blade, use a steady hand but don't force it. Let the Dremel do the work. Go straight down to about 3/32" to 1/8"
6. Work quickly to avoid overheating. If in doubt, go a little bit at a time and allow to cool. I have plenty of practice so I don't worry. The only problem occurs when the steel starts to change color but I have yet to see that by doing this.
7. Practice with a few junk knives first!!! And the number #1 rule of grinding: remove a little at a time, you cannot put metal back!
Good luck and post pics if you try it.