Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
HaroldB

Post by HaroldB »

Those who get the "fastener situation" figured out, please share with the rest of your Spyder-Friends :spyder: :D
jeroboam

One From Wales

Post by jeroboam »

Acrylic scales with "Anso style" texturing, Black fibre liners, Alu pins.
No plans for a sheath as it's destined to live in the Kitchen.

Excuse the poor pic, it's not the camera, I'm jst a crap photographer!

I may grind the guard off in the future as they have a tendancy to get in the way when using a knike on a board.
:)
J
I'm not bitter, I'm mostly Cider!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

great pic Jeroboam and welcome to the forums :) that's a sharp lookin' Mule :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
jeroboam

Post by jeroboam »

[quote="jaislandboy"]

Thanks Brian,
I've been a member for a while and a LONG time lurker, thought that my Mule gave me a good reason to step out of the shadows!
J
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Looks like a great knife Jeroboam. Always fan of the Anso look :D

On top of that Welcome to the Forums. So do tell what other Spydies do you have.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
jeroboam

Post by jeroboam »

Tricod wrote:Looks like a great knife Jeroboam. Always fan of the Anso look :D

On top of that Welcome to the Forums. So do tell what other Spydies do you have.
Well Brad, it was seeing yours in the first post of this thread that gave me the nudge to try the texturing!
;)

As for what others I own, not wanting hijack this thread I've posted them here

J
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

this is my first time tryin this so hope it works
Attachments
1122.jpg
1122.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 13493 times
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

can anyone tell me where the pins came from???
Attachments
12121.jpg
12121.jpg (35.28 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
1321.jpg
1321.jpg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

thanks Uncle!!
Attachments
1232123.jpg
1232123.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 13485 times
raven

Got My Mule

Post by raven »

Hey All, I just got my MULE ...No handles or cord wrap yet. Thinking "raven black" cord wrap :D :cool: . Just thought I'd share ;) . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Attachments
MULE 003.jpg
MULE 003.jpg (97.48 KiB) Viewed 14084 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

sweet photo raven, congrats :cool:
brian
WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf »

This is strictly a prototype blade cover/sheath "thrown together" or so says the maker Senor Mike Billman from Grindstone cutlery. He has made handles for another mule and found that the brass rods from the SharpMaker fit perfectly in the holes that are drilled in the knife.

WW
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

heheh nice photos WWolf, i like those kydex pants :cool:
p.s. it's time to scrub those ceramics :)
brian
WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf »

I took those pictures at his shop, that is one of 3 SharpMakers he keeps on the counter to do sharpening for customers. If I had to guess those SharpMakers probably sharpen 100 knives a week every week so its not uncommon for them to look like that by Friday afternoon. Monday morning they will be shiny again.

After I took these he setup the sheath as a neck carry and it works very well.
CWO

Post by CWO »

WW: Thanks for the pics. So how do you secure the rod to the scales? What is the OD of the rod?

CWO
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

Howdy Folks,

I have litle knife making experiance so my approch is to use materials and tools at hand in my garage.

I trimmed my apple trees a couple of years ago and set the limbs out to dry. Today, I cut a section of one of them then cut it in half lengthwise to use as scales. I'll post pictures of my progress as it happens.

Here are the scales after the first cut and a couple of wafers of the same stick to show the end grain.
[ATTACH]10224[/ATTACH]
Attachments
MuleHandle-1.jpg
MuleHandle-1.jpg (98.41 KiB) Viewed 11569 times
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

SeanH wrote:Howdy Folks,

I have litle knife making experiance so my approch is to use materials and tools at hand in my garage.

I trimmed my apple trees a couple of years ago and set the limbs out to dry. Today, I cut a section of one of them then cut it in half lengthwise to use as scales. I'll post pictures of my progress as it happens.

Here are the scales after the first cut and a couple of wafers of the same stick to show the end grain.
[ATTACH]10224[/ATTACH]

interesting project you've got "cooking" there Sean thanks for sharing .... as I have no knifemaking experience either, but I've been "into" wooden handles on knives (reading up on varieties of wood) ...I wonder if those slabs should be stabilized before you shape them into handles as they might shrink/shift (?) with changes in humidity :confused:
brian
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

jaislandboy wrote:interesting project you've got "cooking" there Sean thanks for sharing .... as I have no knifemaking experience either, but I've been "into" wooden handles on knives (reading up on varieties of wood) ...I wonder if those slabs should be stabilized before you shape them into handles as they might shrink/shift (?) with changes in humidity :confused:
I've been thinking about that myself. They are very dry as then limbs were outside in the northern Colorado weather for two years. I was going to soak them in a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits after they were on the tang. Now that you mention it, I think I'll do the rough shaping, then soak for a good long time in the linseed mix and dry them, then final assembly, shape and buff, then finish with a coat of the linseed mix.

Sort of a shade tree stabilization. ;)
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf »

CWO:

I believe he is securing the scales using 10 Ton clear Epoxy that gets buffed out during the shaping of the handles (in case of any over runs). Once my mule is complete I'll put pictures up but he said that the owner of the mule he is working on now will be posting pics of that one soon.

The OD of the brass rod is: 0.16 inch or 4.1mm. Keep in mind that this is the average of 3 readings on 3 different points on the rod since it does get worn and warped from being used and put away.

WW
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

WinstonWolf wrote:This is strictly a prototype blade cover/sheath "thrown together" or so says the maker Senor Mike Billman from Grindstone cutlery. He has made handles for another mule and found that the brass rods from the SharpMaker fit perfectly in the holes that are drilled in the knife.

WW
pics of the knife you refer to is on page 2, its mine