Kiwimania

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
The Deacon

Kiwimania

Post by The Deacon »

Took photos this afternoon of the entire flock. Here's the first batch I processed, these all have scale material that once belonged to four legged animals.

An early production model in Amber Jigged Bone

A later production Chestnut Jigged Bone

A 2006 production Smooth Red Bone

A very rare "pinned" version of the Smooth Red Bone

Two very different looking SFSW Dinosaur Bones

Pre-Ban Elephant Ivory made for me by SFSW

Mammoth Ivory and Mammoth Tooth made for me by SFSW - someone asked me if they came from the same Mammoth...

And last, but by no means least, Sambar Stag made for me by SFSW

More to follow.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

That mammoth tooth... WOW!!! All are nice, but I love that mammoth tooth! :cool:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Very nice pics Paul.

See.....I see what you're trying to do. These dog gone photos are going to make me buy a SFSW Kiwi. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Great "Kiwi Appetizer" pix Paul.... love the closeup shots.....can't wait to see the Main Entree.... :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
The Deacon

The madness continues...

Post by The Deacon »

jaislandboy wrote:Great "Kiwi Appetizer" pix Paul.... love the closeup shots.....can't wait to see the Main Entree...
Ok Brian,

Next batch all have scales made from things that lived in the water

Abalone, made for me by SFSW.

A.G. Russell Black Lip Pearl

SFSW Black Lip Pearl full panel. These were done by flattening the sides of all stainless Kiwis. Not to brag, but this is about the prettiest black lip pearl that I've ever seen.

SFSW Gold Mother of Pearl. From what I understand gold pearl is just white pearl that's been exposed to a certain chemical.

SFSW Mother of Pearl

SFSW Orange Spiny Oyster

Spyderco 2007 production Pearl with Abalone stripe

Petoskey Stone, made for me by SFSW. This is the fossil remains of a colony of prehistoric sponge-like creatures.

SFSW Red Coral

Another SFSW Red Coral, this one full panel.

Paul
The Deacon

A few more of the flock...

Post by The Deacon »

Next group are all "chidren of the sixties", they're stoned all the time. ;) :D

SFSW Azurite

SFSW Bloodstone

SFSW Charoite

SFSW Denim Lapis

SFSW Gaspeite - a new stone from the Gaspe Penninsula in Canada

SFSW Jet

Paul
The Deacon

Darn that 10 picture limit!

Post by The Deacon »

Too many "stoners" for one post, here's the rest of them. :D

SFSW Malachite, my first SFSW Kiwi and still one of my favorites.

SFSW Picasso Marble

SFSW Sugilite

Tiger's Eye, made for me by SFSW

SFSW Turquoise

Paul
The Deacon

All good things must come to an end.

Post by The Deacon »

But I did save a few of the best for last. :D These are the ones that don't fit into any of those other categories. There are a few of my real favorites in the batch.

Spyderco production all stainless

SFSW American Flag in Lapis, Red Coral, and Mother of Pearl

All Stainless, acid etch engraved by Sr. Antonio Montejano of Spain

Birdseye Maple, made for me by SFSW.

Desert Ironwood, made for me by SFSW.

All Stainless, burin engraved by Marcus Hunt of Great Britain

SFSW New Graham Special Jet and Mother of Pearl

That's it, except for the three SFSW is working on for me, and the eight "spares" I keep for those times Bill does not have any blanks and I desperately need a Kiwi fix. :D
Paul
Th232

Post by Th232 »

*Bows down before the flock*

Those're amazing Deacon!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Paul, those are so awesome. Nice photos.

So far my faves are the Bloodstone model and the Sugilite model. I don't know why I just like 'em. :)

I love the Kiwi more daily. I also don't know why because usually I would see it as an "ugly" knife. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

I specially like those Dinosaure and Mammoth ones. Must be a privilege to handle such old kind materials. I also like these Black mother of pearl ones.
I saw these on A.G. Russel with deeper tones . Would love these Black MOP"s with darker tones...

You've got a serious collection Paul enjoy you sharing these pictures with us.

a dutchie ;)
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

phenomenal collection Paul ! :eek: :cool: It's like taking a trip through the Minerology section of a science museum.... :)
My SFSW Malachite Kiwi is also a fave of mine.....it's funny how such an inexpensive mineral can hold so much visual appeal.... :p
I think my favorite bone handled folding knife is the production (smooth) red bone Kiwi....
brian
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Paul, your flock is mesmerizing! :eek:
Thanks for sharing the great pic's. :cool:
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Paul,

You should say; hi i'm paul i have got a serious kiwi problem... LMAOOTF

Just kiddin''

I love your dino kiwis . Also the Mammoth kiwis .Espescially the first dinosaur one i didn't see one like that before . Can you tell something more about which kind of dino bone where found which soil minerals etc.. Would be interesting to know for us people....
Isn't it amazing to have something in your hand millions year old???

Greets Maarten
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Paul,
I am amazed and speechless.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i really like the mammoth tooth and SFSW Gaspeite - a new stone from the Gaspe Penninsula in Canada is a pretty cool color. whats the grand total up to on the flock? Do you have one display case to show them all in?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Awesome, simply awesome. I like the Patriot and Charoite Kiwis best! Do keep updating this thread as the flock grows!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

ok Paul, I hope these are "worthy" to be posted in your Kiwi thread... :o
Sugilite, Malachite, Smooth Red Bone, MOP/Abalone, Gold Pearl, and Turquoise Kiwis.... :) :cool:

brian
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

a few more....

...hope everyone has a safe Labor Day weekend..... :)

brian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
David Lowry wrote:I see what you're trying to do. These dog gone photos are going to make me buy a SFSW Kiwi.
Yep, it's all part of my fiendish plot to keep the Kiwi off Sal's "endangered species" list. Figure that as long as SFSW needs them, there's a better chance of it staying in the lineup.
jaislandboy wrote:phenomenal collection Paul ! :eek: :cool: It's like taking a trip through the Minerology section of a science museum.... :)
My SFSW Malachite Kiwi is also a fave of mine.....it's funny how such an inexpensive mineral can hold so much visual appeal.... :p
I think my favorite bone handled folding knife is the production (smooth) red bone Kiwi....
Yes, I agree, some of the least expensive materials are among the most attractive.

Of all the stone ones I have, the malachite is my favorite as well. I love the original production jigged bone, it's inexpensive, but one of those materials that just looks "right" on a pocket knife. I think many different woods, none of which are terribly expensive, at least not in the quantity required for a Kiwi, look great too.

For the future, I'd love to see Spyderco do a run of Tortoiseshell celluloid, another cheap material that's both extremely attractive and very traditional.
MAT888 wrote:Paul,

You should say]Maarten, it has been said that "There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness" . Sometimes I'm not sure myself which side of that line I fall on. ;) :D .

As for the bone. Best answer I can give you is to quote from the SFSW website's description of the dinosaur bone they use:
Santa Fe Stoneworks wrote:Bone is a common material for knife handles - and we have the oldest bone available. The gemstone in these knife handles is actually a section of petrified bone form a sauropod (brontosaurus) that lived over 150 million years ago. Coming from Moab, Utah, the colors vary dramatically from red to brown, black, white & yellow depending on the minerals surrounding the bone as it became petrified.

I would imagine that iron oxide would be a major contributor to the red, limestone to the white, and perhaps sulphur to the yellows, not really sure about the others.
tonydahose wrote:i really like the mammoth tooth and SFSW Gaspeite - a new stone from the Gaspe Penninsula in Canada is a pretty cool color. whats the grand total up to on the flock? Do you have one display case to show them all in?
Yes the Gaspeite is very pretty, and it's probably a good choice for the Kiwi, as it resembles the inside of a Kiwifruit.

"Grand total" depends on how you do the math. The 38 that appear in the photos are the ones I would defninitely count. At any given moment those are in a display case in my living room, except for the one in my jeans and another on my nightstand. Then there are 7 more bolster and scales ones that I have in boxes, which I keep for those times when I want a custom made one and Bill is out of blanks and 2 more all stainless ones in case I get a hankering for another engraved one (I really need one by an American engraver). Then there are the 3 that are "in the pipeline". Finally there's the handful I've given as gifts.
Mr Blonde wrote: Awesome, simply awesome. I like the Patriot and Charoite Kiwis best! Do keep updating this thread as the flock grows!
Thanks Wouter, I plan on adding the new ones to it as they arrive. There are three "in the works" right now, two of which should be here within the next couple months. Lignum Vitae thanks to STR, and Slovakian opal thanks to Jano. The third is something really special, it will feature marquetry which Bill is having a very small quantity of made at my request.
jaislandboy wrote:ok Paul, I hope these are "worthy" to be posted in your Kiwi thread.
Charoite, Malachite, Smooth Red Bone, MOP/Abalone, Gold Pearl, and Turquoise Kiwis.... :) :cool:
They most certainly are Brian, I enjoy admiring other people's Kiwis almost as much as fondling my own and Yoda is always a pleasure to see.
Paul