My Kopa Kabana :)

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Paul and Tony,
the Masur birch is mist likely the best one in my collection :D . I was going to ask Tony to do a full scale Masur Birch one if the full scale Kopa proto turned out well :p

Roman,
I will be doing a shot of all my Tony Kopas :)
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Rolex John

Post by Rolex John »

tonydahose wrote:I am learning from my mistakes Paul ;) , i saved the picture and the name of the wood so i wouldn't forget...lol. it is Acrylized Masur Birch, since my 1st plan for the full scale kopa broke, i am going to use try this wood next.

edit: pic is from sdcwoodworking
Hi,

I've just discovered the Kopa and very interested in picking some up. They seem to be VERY hard to track down at a reasonable price. :(

I'm seeing several versions of the Kopa here I've not seen in the Spyderco catalog. Do any of these by chance have non-factory handles? The green ones for example I've never seen before in my searches.

Any help tracking down Kopas (particularly the mother of pearl versions) would be appreciated!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Rolex John,

There have only been 16 variations of Kopa released from the Spyderco catalogue. The last one being the carbon fibre version.

I have all of the factory releases along with a number of other pumped versions by my good mate Tony :) who has done a few woods, stones and other versions :p .

The Kopas are a bit harder to find now but they do come up on occasion on trading and for sale sites/ forums. Sometimes in NIB condition and sometimes lightly used. Rarely are these abused. IMHO these and the Kiwi are highly underestimated in their ability to be classy as well as capable.

I promised to update this thread but haven't yet got around to doing so. If I find some I will let you know. However they don't usually come up under $100 and some of the rarer or more ornate ones go for over $200 and I have seen some even over $300 !!!

Search Google and other forums and you may be surprised :)
Cheers
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Rolex John wrote:Any help tracking down Kopas (particularly the mother of pearl versions) would be appreciated!
msg sent ;)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

I was never really a Kopa fan til this thread came along...
MOLON LABE
Rolex John

Post by Rolex John »

ozspyder wrote:Hi Rolex John,

There have only been 16 variations of Kopa released from the Spyderco catalogue. The last one being the carbon fibre version.

I have all of the factory releases along with a number of other pumped versions by my good mate Tony :) who has done a few woods, stones and other versions :p .

The Kopas are a bit harder to find now but they do come up on occasion on trading and for sale sites/ forums. Sometimes in NIB condition and sometimes lightly used. Rarely are these abused. IMHO these and the Kiwi are highly underestimated in their ability to be classy as well as capable.

I promised to update this thread but haven't yet got around to doing so. If I find some I will let you know. However they don't usually come up under $100 and some of the rarer or more ornate ones go for over $200 and I have seen some even over $300 !!!

Search Google and other forums and you may be surprised :)
By "pumped out" (pimped?) I assume you mean customized, aftermarket handles? So Tony does that sort of work?

Right now I can get a darn good deal on a Kopa variety I don't particularly want, but if I can get custom handles I'll jump all over it. :D I've also run across SFSW in my research but again I don't yet know if they will put handles on a knife you send them. :confused:
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Rolex John,

Speak with Tony ... he'll sort you out :p
Cheers
Rolex John

Post by Rolex John »

ozspyder wrote:Rolex John,

Speak with Tony ... he'll sort you out :p
OK - I ordered a Pacific Blue Kopa at a good price, which I believe will be be modded....unless I like the Pacific Blue too much to change it. :p I'll take a few pics of the PB when I get it.

I really look forward to the finished product I have in mind!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Rolex John wrote:I've also run across SFSW in my research but again I don't yet know if they will put handles on a knife you send them. :confused:
i spoke with them before i started modding because i wanted a custom spydie. one had been done by them, a beautiful starts and stripes kopa, but from what i have gathered Sal asked them not to do anymore because spyderco was making them with different handles. i believe they have a good working relationship so SFSW obliged. when i spoke with SFSW they said if they hear from Sal, i am guessing a letter would work as well, saying that it was OK to do, then and only then would they modify a kopa. so i took matters into my own hands and started modding them myself. i didn't do so until the model was cancelled, i just thought it wouldnt be right. does SFSW still need Sal's OK to get one modded since the model is now discontinued, i don't know. you would need to contact them and ask. hope this helps answer your question.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Rolex John

Post by Rolex John »

tonydahose wrote:i spoke with them before i started modding because i wanted a custom spydie. one had been done by them, a beautiful starts and stripes kopa, but from what i have gathered Sal asked them not to do anymore because spyderco was making them with different handles. i believe they have a good working relationship so SFSW obliged. when i spoke with SFSW they said if they hear from Sal, i am guessing a letter would work as well, saying that it was OK to do, then and only then would they modify a kopa. so i took matters into my own hands and started modding them myself. i didn't do so until the model was cancelled, i just thought it wouldnt be right. does SFSW still need Sal's OK to get one modded since the model is now discontinued, i don't know. you would need to contact them and ask. hope this helps answer your question.
I did check with them and they said they can mod a Kopa sent to them.
ozspyder

Re: My Kopa Kabana :)

Post by ozspyder »

OK so people like Roman and a few others have been hassling me about updating this thread. So here is my latest group shot ;)

My safe storage one only unfortunately. My EDC drawer Kopas are somewhere else.

I think my problem is not getting any better and I'm still on the hunt for more. Some of these (even though are extremely expensive) will probably be going to Tony's place for more surgery and pimping in the near future... Tony ? :p

Reject

Post by Reject »

Image 5 years between posts in this thread.

Come on mate, stop teasing Image that’s a long for them to be stuck in a box.
Image Get them out and show us some photos.
How much can a Koala bear?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

You've seen it already LOL