Spyderco Etched Dragonfly.. first pics!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Zatx

Spyderco Etched Dragonfly.. first pics!

Post by Zatx »

No story, just pics of my new Dfly (Excellent little knife, sharp as he** and tight all around)

Enjoy!
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
DRod

Post by DRod »

WOW, Thats ALOT classier than I imagined. VERRY nice. I like it.
The pattern doesn't appear to be repeating. Is each one unique?! Thats awesome.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

That is really awesome. Man I man I wish they would do that to the SS Delica too. :)

That's some schweeeeeeet texture. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

The pattern is very random, yet no big holes anywhere. It really helps out with grip. It feels almost as "grippy" as FRN.

When you look at the last image, that is a close-up, the pin locations are very obvious, but if you look at the other pics you can barely see them. And when you are holding the knife in your hand you really have to stare to find them.

Its a great job all around.

I do have one question though.. .the clip is so tight on this thing I can barely get it in my pocket. How does one loosen that up without breaking the clip or doing damage to the screw holes?
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zatx wrote:I do have one question though.. .the clip is so tight on this thing I can barely get it in my pocket. How does one loosen that up without breaking the clip or doing damage to the screw holes?
Just lift up on the end of it. Do this gently, loosen it a bit at a time since the transition from too tight to too loose can be a rather small distance and tightening is a LOT more of a PITA.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanx for the great pics Zatx..... :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

It's a looker! Congrats :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

NICE!

but i thought the Dfly's were ATS-55 -- is the VG-10 steel new for the Dfly?

also, to follow up on the_incredible's question -- does anyone else have one to verify if the pattern is random on each knife? that would be cool...
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Harry White wrote:NICE!

also, to follow up on the_incredible's question -- does anyone else have one to verify if the pattern is random on each knife? that would be cool...
VG-10 is a recent development from what I can find.

Still not sure if its random/unique for every piece.

I would also like to know how the etching is done. Is it done with a tool, or acid, or a laser?
dantecubit

Post by dantecubit »

Whoa. When did the Dragonfly change over to VG10? I gotta get me one of those. Constant Quality Improvement is right. Gotta love Spyderco.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Very recently, the first time I heard about it was in a thread from David Lowry earlier this week.
I just got myself a ATS-55 D'fly and it has JF for a code, Oct 06.
Must say that I do like ATS-55 a lot too.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

dantecubit wrote:Whoa. When did the Dragonfly change over to VG10? I gotta get me one of those. Constant Quality Improvement is right. Gotta love Spyderco.

Yeah, my Dragonfly that I just got about a week ago has the code "CG" on the box which is a March 2007 date of manufacture. I was blown away to see VG-10 when I got it out of the box because I also expected ATS-55 (which I love and would have been happy with also).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

That is really nice :) I've been thinking of getting a SS Dfly....maybe I'll go for the etched instead.
Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
DRod

Post by DRod »

Harry White wrote:NICE!

It took me a minute, but I see a pattern repeating lengthwise down the side. Still a very nice look and one I wouldn't mid seeing spread across the SS line of :spyder: s. Im guessing the pattern is a screened on wax then dipped and rinsed in acid or something. Which leads me to wonder... would it be possible to have repeating :spyder: logos? It sounds like it would look cool.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

THE_INCREDIBLE_ wrote:It took me a minute, but I see a pattern repeating lengthwise down the side. Still a very nice look and one I wouldn't mid seeing spread across the SS line of :spyder: s. Im guessing the pattern is a screened on wax then dipped and rinsed in acid or something. Which leads me to wonder... would it be possible to have repeating :spyder: logos? It sounds like it would look cool.

Oh man... repeating Spyderco logos would be REALLY cool.

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Someone send that idea to Sal!