Most Boring Discussion/Comment on Spyderco Forum?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bolster

Most Boring Discussion/Comment on Spyderco Forum?

Post by Bolster »

What's the most boring discussion or repeated comment you see, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, on the Spyderco forum? What dead horse has gotten the most thorough beating, then been resurrected, and beaten again and again and again?

I will be issuing a virtual award to the person who gives the right answer, and the right answer is, of course, the answer I'd give.
Attachments
kT85jMpGc-2617928805.jpeg
Last edited by Bolster on Sun May 28, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Larry_Mott

Re: Most Boring Discussion/Comment on Spyderco Forum?

Post by Larry_Mott »

"Why doesn't every Spyderco in the catalogue come with compression lock"
Yours truly, F. Idget
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093

I would question how productive a topic like this can actually be. I would follow up by asking how necessary a thread like this actually is. :thinking
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This thread is already amusing ! 🤡 MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ah, yes, I remember when Sal asked the forum to stop discussing the use of round holes by other knife companies in the link above. At the time, there was a lot of discussion of it. So there's a good example of a topic that Sal felt was overexposed & overdone, and Sal asked us to stop beating that dead horse.

I would hazard that there are other topics that could and should be laid to rest, too. But maybe folks think that all the other threads (except for this one) are "productive" and "necessary."
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Conversations about flicking, or the extremely vague "I'm looking for my first Spyderco, what should I get?" Then the 45 replies with 40 different knives recommended...and then the OP never returns.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:18 am
Conversations about flicking, or the extremely vague "I'm looking for my first Spyderco, what should I get?" Then the 45 replies with 40 different knives recommended...and then the OP never returns.
Yes ! It can be exhausting, a lot of work go into the thread , but nothing wrong helping, that’s what we do . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ These are good, agree so far.

I gotta get mine off my chest. I was going to wait, but can't...

For me, it's the state of the edge as received from the factory. To me, this seems of little consequence. OK, it's nice when you get the unusual knife that's just perfectly sharpened from the factory, I get that, I guess. But I really don't understand complaints about edges that are not exquisitely sharp from the factory. I think: "Well, why should it be, you haven't sharpened it yet!"

I think the edge is my responsibility, not the factory's. All I expect the factory to do is to get the edge roughly in shape and ready for me to sharpen. How could they possibly afford the time (and love) I expend to sharpen it myself? Seems unreasonable. So commentary on the state of the edge from the factory, after reading hundreds of posts about it, is like nails on the chalkboard...to me.

Perhaps I'm unique in my 'sensitivity' to this topic, but I feel much better getting this off my chest. Call it "thread therapy."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:01 am
Ah, yes, I remember when Sal asked the forum to stop discussing the use of round holes by other knife companies in the link above. At the time, there was a lot of discussion of it. So there's a good example of a topic that Sal felt was overexposed & overdone, and Sal asked us to stop beating that dead horse.

I would hazard that there are other topics that could and should be laid to rest, too. But maybe folks think that all the other threads (except for this one) are "productive" and "necessary."
:rofl Nice strawman…

What is the point of this thread?

This thread is basically asking people to indirectly talk trash others.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:58 am

That's a unique interpretation!

The thread specifies: "discussion or repeated comment." That means it's topical. It is assumed that forumites won't go ad hominem, or call out specific members. That's just good manners.

However, I see you are intent on shutting this thread down, before it can even start.

It will be interesting to see if you are successful. If you are, your censorship powers are greater than I imagined!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:06 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:58 am
However, I see you are intent on shutting this thread down, before it can even start.
That’s a unique interpretation of what I’ve said so far. ;)

Often times those discussions and repeated comments are personal opinions. Sometimes it’s the same person repeating a comment or discussion.

Specific names aren't necessarily needed to understand when it could be one’s own comments that are being labeled as “most boring” and disparaged in this thread.

Just as an example let’s say, I think the most boring discussion on this forum is steel metallurgy. I don’t care that one steels carbides are 1 micron larger than another steels carbides. Chromium content, nickel percentage, Bepop and Rockwell hardness… That’s boring. I’d guess 99.99% of this forum doesn't care either, when it comes down to it, because it’s just so awfully boring. Steel metallurgy gets talked about too much. That’s my opinion on the most boring discussion that keeps getting repeated on this forum.

Now what? Where does this discussion go from there? Just leave it alone because it’s just someone's opinion, so theres no need for further discussion? Are we supposed dogpile on steel metallurgy? Does the .01% have to come defend it? Does that opinion itself get dogpiled on because more than .01% of the forum does actually find interest in steel metallurgy?

Or another example, the most boring comments that just get repeated over and over and over and over are the comments asking about a Magnacut Salt Manix 2 LW. :yawn

Now what? Where does this discussion go from there? Just an opinion, no need for discussion? Dogpile on the comments asking about a Magnacut Salt Manix 2 LW? Are the repeat offenders of those boring comments allowed to defend their comments as not boring?

This is why I would question how productive this thread can actually be. It doesn’t seem to encourage any positive discussions. Quite the opposite actually, it feels antagonistic and not in line with the whole “Shiny Footprints” mantra. Which is why I linked a reminder to that thread in the first place.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I do this, and have done it, will do it in the past... "This or that," threads. Eg. Baton or Do not Baton. I think narrowing down so many Spyderco options to, "Like it or Hate it," is boring. It takes more work to present, "this is when and why and what I baton with and how I do what I do safely with the relevant Spyderco knife."

Debate style, where one poses an argument and someone posts up the opposite side just to oppose. Argument, ensues and some threads thrive like this, others die. It is too bad when a new member posts up and unwittily gets crushed for being on the wrong side of a dead horse discussion. Or, when a long term member does not post because they feel like their opinion will get no traction.

Insert thoughtful comments about shiny footprints and how the forum members generally self regulate very well.

Dead horse discussions are a thing, I think. But, I too am unsure how to get the productivity and positive part of the conversation going.

I agree that it is hard to keep it focused on the discussion and not the person or people who are inevitably at the heart of the discussion. I would submit that we are morally responsible to encourage people to sharpen their user/dull knives. It can feel like a dead horse argument. But at the end of the discussion is a person who needs encouragement to put steel to stone.

Same as factory edge discussions. For me a dead horse. The real discussion is how can the forum motivate the greater Spyderco users to sharpen? I went through a chip and a factory edge mystery with my Aeb-L Mule, sharpened it, problem solved. In a way, all factory edge threads should have one reply, "sharpened it and problem solved."

Anyway, now I ramble. Still, I think there is merit behind asking what is the lesson the forum is really trying to learn in any given thread.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 2:17 pm
I do this, and have done it, will do it in the past... "This or that," threads. Eg. Baton or Do not Baton. I think narrowing down so many Spyderco options to, "Like it or Hate it," is boring. It takes more work to present, "this is when and why and what I baton with and how I do what I do safely with the relevant Spyderco knife."

Debate style, where one poses an argument and someone posts up the opposite side just to oppose. Argument, ensues and some threads thrive like this, others die. It is too bad when a new member posts up and unwittily gets crushed for being on the wrong side of a dead horse discussion. Or, when a long term member does not post because they feel like their opinion will get no traction.

Insert thoughtful comments about shiny footprints and how the forum members generally self regulate very well.

Dead horse discussions are a thing, I think. But, I too am unsure how to get the productivity and positive part of the conversation going.

I agree that it is hard to keep it focused on the discussion and not the person or people who are inevitably at the heart of the discussion. I would submit that we are morally responsible to encourage people to sharpen their user/dull knives. It can feel like a dead horse argument. But at the end of the discussion is a person who needs encouragement to put steel to stone.

Same as factory edge discussions. For me a dead horse. The real discussion is how can the forum motivate the greater Spyderco users to sharpen? I went through a chip and a factory edge mystery with my Aeb-L Mule, sharpened it, problem solved. In a way, all factory edge threads should have one reply, "sharpened it and problem solved."

Anyway, now I ramble. Still, I think there is merit behind asking what is the lesson the forum is really trying to learn in any given thread.
Very well said , disappointed you didn’t call me Pizza Man . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I skip the threads that I have no interest in, or I find boring/repetitive, or that I find annoying. It seems a very simple solution, but I suppose I may miss something useful along the way.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

One word. "When?" Get over it, people.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 7:02 am
One word. "When?" Get over it, people.
Awesome.... :nerd :rofl
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't have an answer, but I want to keep this thread going, just because. :winking-tongue
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 12:00 pm
Or another example, the most boring comments that just get repeated over and over and over and over are the comments asking about a Magnacut Salt Manix 2 LW. :yawn
:rofl
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Minutiae concerning the strength of one lock versus another, when all of them are more than adequate.

That said, I tend to read such threads anyway. Train-wreck effect, I guess.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's the worst, reading a thread that you know will aggravate you based on the title or OP. Definitely guilty!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick