Bourbon Trail

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JSumm

Bourbon Trail

Post by JSumm »

For the Bourbon Lovers out there, have you done the bourbon trail?

I got to go through the bourbon trail this past weekend. Didn't hit everything, but hit some good ones.

Copper still at Willet Distillery. Copper is typically used because it can remove some tannins that may or may not cause headaches or hangovers.

Large vat with fermenting mash.

Only oak barrels can be used for bourbon and the barrels cannot be reused. Outside of the mash bill (recipe), the majority of the flavor comes from the oak barrels. Barrels stored vertically typically are not rotated. The barrels at the top where it is the hottest are usually aged 3-4 years and end up as your cheaper bourbon. Middle section is usually aged 7-10 years while the lower racks where it is the coldest can be stored and aged for over 20 years some less some more. These barrels can lose up to 10% to evaporation the first year. A little less each subsequent year. Barrels that have aged 10 years may only have half the barrel left when they open it. I'll let you decide if it is half full or half empty. A bottle of Pappy 23 may only have the very bottom of the barrel left by the time they open it which is the main cause of longer aging whiskies costing so much. Some barrels that are opened after 20 years can even be empty.

Rickhouse or Rackhouse. These are the storage facilities of the barrels where the aging takes place. A byproduct of this process is a fungus that darkens everything within a mile. Trees especially. Some pressure wash, some paint their Rickhouses black, others just let it go. During prohibition, the authorities could easily tell the buildings that were aging whiskies by the black fungus growing on the outside. So people started painting their sheds black. Eventually, whole communities had black sheds even if they were not aging whiskey to help out their friends and neighbors.
Blackened trees

One of my favorite stops was Castle and Key. Not for the whiskey. They need several years to get that stuff right. This was the old E.H. Taylor that was bought out by what is now known as Buffalo Trace. Then Jim Bean bought the facility and let it go. All grown over and lost in the woods. Castle and Key has bought it and invested millions to bringing it back to life. One of the most magical places I have been. Just stunning.
The old water key on the facility.

Our last stop was the Whiskey Thief. Where you could use the thief and fill your own bottle of your favorite.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
MacLaren

Re: Bourbon Trail

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Nice thread Mr. Summ!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That was good, thanks! I've never been on the trail. I've visited George Dickel and Jack Daniels. I would like to visit Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey, but that's not going to happen.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:45 pm
For the Bourbon Lovers out there, have you done the bourbon trail?
Looks like you got to see some cool stuff. I'm a bit of a bourbon fan myself. I'm sitting here sipping on an Elijah Craig Small Batch. If there are any typographical errors, that's why. I've never done the "Bourbon Trail," but have traipsed around Kentucky a little bit. The only distillery I've visited was Maker's. Yeah, I've dipped my fingers in the vats and tasted the mash. In Lebanon is the Independent Stave Company. I think they offer tours now. Back when Mrs. Iron and I rolled up, they didn't know what to do with us, so one of the managers took us out to the shop and showed us around. If you like bourbon, like making things, and like wood, then it's a really worth the visit.

I didn't know the story behind the black rackhouses, but the black tobacco barns throughout the countryside were quite evident. About a month after returning home, a package arrived in the mail from the friends were were staying with. There was no letter, just a big bag of leaves. So I went to the liquor store, bought a pack of papers, and went home to sit on the patio. I rolled up some of tobacco leaves into a joint. What do they call it? "Cigarette," I think. So I sparked it up and took a couple hits. I could feel the nicotine rushing to my brain and thought, "So THIS is why people smoke!" So I took a couple more hits. I felt like I wanted to puke, and thought, "So THIS is why I don't smoke!"

Give me the bourbon, but the Kentuckians can keep their tobacco.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Great post! Thank you - I do love Bourbon, although the variety available here is limited, unlike Scotch, of course.

These large corporations are ruthless in closing down sites. Just this year my favourite local brewery shut. It had grown from a one room operation over 2 decades, sold, then resold and the new owners laid off 80% of the workers, reducing output. 6 months later they said the site was “under-utilised” and shut it down completely, now brewing a pale imitation of its most popular beers in distant factories. Criminal.

On better news,there has been an upsurge in small scale distilling here in England over the past decade or so, and I was whisky tasting one company’s range last weekend. They had been aged in different casks, new oak, old bourbon, and old sherry, and the different flavours generated were fantastic.

It also proved that if you keep giving a guy enough samples, he’ll buy….
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Really cool story and pictures Jeff ! When I graduated from high school Imwas only 17 and drove a truck through Spring into Fall fro fame business. First winter after turning 18 worked at the Hiram Walker stave mill running one of the two edgers cutting bark off the staves . I think my wage was around $2.47:an hour and take home pay was $69.00 ! It was a loud , dirty , miserable job but thankfully only stayed through the Winter and back to driving a truck . Years later after the distillery closed worked with two guys who worked there while at Caterpillar. One day at lunch one of them at lunch handed me a Mason jar of uncut whiskey and told me to enjoy ! Pure Rocket Fuel !
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The char from the barrels gets into the whiskey which is why they filter it at the end of the process. I believe some call it Heavens's snow globe. So if you ever see some black floaters in your bourbon, know that you got a piece of the barrel to carry along with you.

At whiskey thief where you are drinking straight from the barrel or cask you will see a lot of floaters in your glass.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am a Wild Turkey 101 and everything Russell fan. Fun fact, my old company had a dedicated trucking contract supplying the wood barrels from the Cooperage in AL to the most famous maker of TN whiskey. There is a huge market for repurposing bourbon barrels for all other spirits for finishing, aging and flavoring. Funny how bourbon is the only spirit that cannot reuse their barrels but everything from beer to Irish whiskey uses bourbon barrels a second time.
Last edited by twinboysdad on Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Awesome post, and I really enjoyed the photos.
I'm a bourbon fan, but have not made the trip down to Kentucky. Definitely on my to do list.
I'm a big fan of some of the Maker's Mark private selection with the unique stave profile. Good stuff.
MNOSD member 0030
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Really cool! Awesome thread.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Very cool and captivating post Jeff!!! 🥃
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Crazy how much has changed in bourbon since I first started drinking it. I was stationed at Ft Campbell, Ky from 95-99. Wife, myself & 2 good friends took a trip to Makers Mark distillery around 98. At that time there was hardly any bourbon related tourism except for an annual bourbon festival. Then years later the bourbon's popularity skyrocketed & it's crazy how many distilleries there are now. While it's good for the industry, I do miss the days of getting Elmer T Lee for $30, same as my buddy misses getting Blanton's for $60.

Wife & I are actually talking about planning a bourbon trail trip with some friends. She attended a workshop in Louisville & swung by Buffalo Trace on the way home to try & get me some Elmer T Lee (sadly no, but got me some Eagle Rare). She made the comment how beautiful the area was and suggested we do it. Castle & Key will definitely be on the list to check out. My oldest son is finishing his degree in Plants & Turf Science & commented on how Castle & Key brought in an award winning Landscape Artist from Manhattan to design their grounds.

At the time I was there I disliked Wild Turkey - mostly as it was a popular shot on base. It's got a Bird & it's 101 proof - Screaming Eagles have a Bird & it's the 101st Airborne. Now I enjoy Rare Breed & Kentucky Spirit.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The good news is that Buffalo Trace has ramped up their production. So if demand holds, in the next few years, their products will hopefully be back on the shelf like before. I did learn that Weller is basically a younger Pappy's aged in a different part of the Rickhouse. Same Mash Bill. You could get that stuff for $12 and $25 for their younger and older whiskey respectively before they changed the labelling. I think it has doubled in price, but now it is harder to find.

Yeah, Castle and Key is worth the visit. Just not for their whiskey. Yet, hopefully.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great post. I regret not staying a couple more days to do it when I was down in Louisville. However, I try to do my own Bourbon Trail (or rye) at least once a month, from home :)

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:26 am
However, I try to do my own Bourbon Trail (or rye) at least once a month, from home :)

You drank fifteen shots of bourbon just to take pictures to share with your bros on the Spydie Forum? You sir, are a hero... an alcohol athlete... an inspiration to us all.

I have an unopened bottle of Pikesville sitting on the shelf waiting to be opened. I've never had it before, but I picked it up because I was curious.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:47 am
abbazaba wrote:
However, I try to do my own Bourbon Trail (or rye) at least once a month, from home :)

You drank fifteen shots of bourbon just to take pictures to share with your bros on the Spydie Forum? You sir, are a hero... an alcohol athlete... an inspiration to us all.

I have an unopened bottle of Pikesville sitting on the shelf waiting to be opened. I've never had it before, but I picked it up because I was curious.
Ha! It's much more of a sipping event with friends/family, but I'll consider ramping up the expectations in the future :cheap-sunglasses

Pikesville was pretty spicy if I remember correctly, and a real burner at 110.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

abbazaba wrote:
That Bulleit Rye is pretty good. Easy to find and has that cool old medicine bottle look by Bulleit. That is one of my favorite Ryes even though it may not be rare or have that cool factor. Love that stuff.

I'm trying Elijah Craig's Rye and it is pretty good. Almost all of these Bourbon Distilleries have a Rye Mash too. Aging right next to the bourbons. Another good one is Woodford Reserve. I am not a fan of their bourbon. At least the mainstream stuff. Too much better at better prices. But the Rye is pretty dang good.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Cool thread & great pics Jeff! Thanks for sharing.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..