Fresh Fish At The Grocery Store

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Fresh Fish At The Grocery Store

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:16 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:40 pm
I know I am weird but I love sardines and they are usually low mercury and wild caught. some of The lakes here in AL limit fish consumption due to contamination of the fish from industrial waste. What a shame
Me three.....I love sardines with vinegar and saltine crackers.
Me four…with tobasco sauce or fresh ones smoked on the grill (Seafood shop)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:23 am
What Dan said above ⬆️…find a local small fresh seafood market that specializes in “WILD CAUGHT”… We’re lucky to have one nearby…I’ve gotten to know the couple that owns it and they call me in advance if they’re getting something in they know we like…Personally I try to catch and keep only fish that have large limits cause they’re plentiful like crappie/bream/white•hybrid bass/the occasional trout if it’s a stocker(not wild)/and sometimes little male bankrunner largemouth bass if the pond/lake is out of balance…I vacuum seal and freeze them…for seafood it’s a different story cause I no longer live near the coast ( I used to have a commercial blue crabbing business w/a friend of mine) and our fridge/freezers were always packed w/shrimp/crab/oysters/reds/trout/flounder/
sheepshead…we used to take seafood for granted 🤷‍♂️…never realized how good we had it!…thankfully I have a couple friends that live near the Gulf and I try to visit at least once/year (Mobile,Ala. and Venice,La.)…always bring a couple big a.. coolers w/me…and crawfish are dirt cheap in southern rural La. Sorry for getting long-winded but just kept thinking about how good we had it once upon a time…🎣👊
I only know of one really good fish market here in Kansas City, MO that sells fish and other seafood exclusively. But I will go by and ask them about availability of "Wild Caught" varieties this week and see what they say. Being you are either on one of the coasts or maybe close to one really gives you an advantage. We are smack dabb in the middle of the USA about as far from either coast as you can get.

We used to have about 4 really good fish markets here in KC some time back. But now I can only think of one. Some of the grocery chains do a better job than the others. We have a chain here in Kansas City known as "Hy Vee" and they have a really great selection of meat and fish both>> quite pricey I might add. But most of the other grocery chains here in the KC area have a lot to be desired.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Agreed on proximity to the coast being an advantage for sure…I live a tad north of Atlanta now but it’s a major hub for fresh seafood, of course the best is living “On” the coast and getting your own…the real advantage is the couple I buy from moved here recently from the La. and have great connections…they haven’t been open that long…we met them at a local farmer’s market before his shop was even open…we hit it off purty fast cause of my past experience and we bought a 50lb sack of live crawfish from them…good luck w/your search…if you can get anything from a company called Inland Seafood you should be good to go…I’m kinda thinking they are wholesome only but if they supply your local shop that’s a win 👊