Let's see your shaving brushes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Let's see your shaving brushes

Post by Doc Dan »

Yaqi Red Marble 24mm Tuxedo knot. This is the brush I gave to my wife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Re: Let's see your shaving brushes

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is my Yaqi Barberpole 30mm Monster Tuxedo Knot brush. This thing really loads a lot of soap!

Come on, folks! Let's see some brushes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting subject, Interesting thread Doc Dan. Because here lately I've been giving a lot of thought to going over to using an old fashioned straight razor mainly because of the criminal, outrageous prices that most of this disposable shaving gear is going for now-a-days.

We used to have a store here in the Kansas City area ( Home of the Chiefs!!!). The store was at the exclusive "Country Club Plaza" shopping district. The store was called "The Art Of Shaving'. I hated to see them close their doors but one of the clerks told me that they were getting so much more "online" business and that it didn't pay them to rent a high dollar business front>> renting a store space at the Country Club Plaza is really pricey.

They had brushes in that store close to $100. And people were buying them. Some of their stuff was way overpriced even though most of it was very high quality from what I could tell. But I do now want to learn more about the gear for straight razor use because the prices for modern shaving gear has truly gotten to obscene levels.

And I'm holding out big hope that Spyderco will hit the market with their own straight razor.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:13 pm
Interesting subject, Interesting thread Doc Dan. Because here lately I've been giving a lot of thought to going over to using an old fashioned straight razor mainly because of the criminal, outrageous prices that most of this disposable shaving gear is going for now-a-days.

We used to have a store here in the Kansas City area ( Home of the Chiefs!!!). The store was at the exclusive "Country Club Plaza" shopping district. The store was called "The Art Of Shaving'. I hated to see them close their doors but one of the clerks told me that they were getting so much more "online" business and that it didn't pay them to rent a high dollar business front>> renting a store space at the Country Club Plaza is really pricey.

They had brushes in that store close to $100. And people were buying them. Some of their stuff was way overpriced even though most of it was very high quality from what I could tell. But I do now want to learn more about the gear for straight razor use because the prices for modern shaving gear has truly gotten to obscene levels.

And I'm holding out big hope that Spyderco will hit the market with their own straight razor.
You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good brush. Sometimes it is the artwork of the handle. However, there are costly brushes that are actually worth buying and there are inexpensive brushes that are nearly as good. Silvertip badger is going to be the most expensive, followed by all other badger brushes. I don't use natural hair, anymore. I don't have a problem killing animals, but when killing them is for the soul purpose of getting hair or feathers, I have a problem with that. Remember the Carolina Parakeet, now extinct because of ladies' fashions? I use mostly synthetics, though I might use boar a bit more if they were harvested from wild boar, which is an invasive, destructive species. Pigs are used for food, however, so I don't have a problem with boar, per se, if the animals are eaten.

Horse hair is often obtained by grooming, something good for horses. Vielong does it this way. There are some places where horses are considered as food, however.

I mostly use synthetics because the better synthetics are as good or better than natural hair.

Look up Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements brushes. They give a Veteran discount and they are already inexpensive.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I'll post the boar brush I have coming when it gets in, along with the synthetic one I never use and the paint brushes I do use. :rofl
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Custom Rudy Vey brush with a 25mm Mühle Silvertip Fiber knot. I think this knot (hair) is the finest made. That's why I now have two brushes with this knot.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050