Exotic Animals Invading USA Wilderness Areas

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
legOFwhat?

Re: Exotic Animals Invading USA Wilderness Areas

Post by legOFwhat? »

When I 1st moved to Kentucky (around 12yo), I made some friends and they taught me just how bad it is to have foreign critters come into an area. Since I was from the big city and talked funny, they thought I would be really good at catching snipe. So, one clear night we grabbed our flashlights and a trash bag and headed to the woods.

I was put on bad duty and waited for my friends to chase the snipe up to where I was that way I could quickly snatch it up and rid the Bluegrass of this terrible creature. I don’t think their hearts were in it because after an hour or so I heard them laughing and having a good time, but I was determined to catch this elusive animal. The next morning I inquired what we were doing wrong and offered up some ways where we could improve our chances.

One friend asked me if I was using the snipe call and embarrassingly I didn’t know what it was. He pulled me to the side and demonstrated the call and gave me a few pointers. He said if I “whisper Oooga Oooga” then jiggle the bag, my chances would greatly improve, since this sound was their mating call. So, for the next few nights we all returned to the woods. I again was on bag duty and I was determined to do my best. Every, 5 minutes or so, I would whisper Oooga Oooga and jiggle my bag, Oooga Oooga and jiggle my bag, but I wasn’t having any luck. I started thinking that maybe the problem was all the commotion my friends were making and they weren’t doing their part good enough because it was obvious they were goofing off.

Perhaps I would be better off on my own, I thought or maybe I should ask an adult. I brought the subject up to an uncle and he agreed that it’s better go off on my own and that I should only do it when the moon was full and that any other time was just a waste. Now with my fresh encouragement, I was off and determined more than ever to catch the pesky pest. Taking to the woods, with razor focus and a Glad bag, I chanted Oooga Oooga and would jiggle my bag, Oooga Oooga and jiggle my bag. Nothing other than some critters off in the distance and the occasional dog bark. This went on for a few days and it bothered me quite a bit so, I talked to my friends and asked them if they ever caught one. It would seem that every one of them put to death several snipe. They could see the turmoil on my face and so, they offered up some suggestions; maybe my deodorant scent was scaring them off or maybe my northern accent didn’t sound right to the snipe and that it couldn’t understand me.

All points made sense to me and for the next few months I gave it my best. Stinky pits and my new Gomer Pyle accent I repeated Oooga Oooga and would jiggle my bag, Oooga Oooga and would jiggle my bag. For years now I’ve tried raising my voice when I would repeated the call, just in case I whispered too quiet. I’ve tried bait. I’ve tried different colored filters on my flashlight and nothing seems to be working.
One of these days I’m going to have to Google snipe hunt but for now I’m going to continue to jiggle my bag in the woods.

Oooga Oooga!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Funny timing on this thread, this just happened yesterday. I don't think this is an invasive species though, probably just got free from the drug dealer that was feeding it cocaine.

Screenshot_20230309_101152_Facebook.jpg

Oh and it was an African Serval.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:08 am
When I 1st moved to Kentucky (around 12yo), I made some friends and they taught me just how bad it is to have foreign critters come into an area. Since I was from the big city and talked funny, they thought I would be really good at catching snipe. So, one clear night we grabbed our flashlights and a trash bag and headed to the woods.

I was put on bad duty and waited for my friends to chase the snipe up to where I was that way I could quickly snatch it up and rid the Bluegrass of this terrible creature. I don’t think their hearts were in it because after an hour or so I heard them laughing and having a good time, but I was determined to catch this elusive animal. The next morning I inquired what we were doing wrong and offered up some ways where we could improve our chances.

One friend asked me if I was using the snipe call and embarrassingly I didn’t know what it was. He pulled me to the side and demonstrated the call and gave me a few pointers. He said if I “whisper Oooga Oooga” then jiggle the bag, my chances would greatly improve, since this sound was their mating call. So, for the next few nights we all returned to the woods. I again was on bag duty and I was determined to do my best. Every, 5 minutes or so, I would whisper Oooga Oooga and jiggle my bag, Oooga Oooga and jiggle my bag, but I wasn’t having any luck. I started thinking that maybe the problem was all the commotion my friends were making and they weren’t doing their part good enough because it was obvious they were goofing off.

Perhaps I would be better off on my own, I thought or maybe I should ask an adult. I brought the subject up to an uncle and he agreed that it’s better go off on my own and that I should only do it when the moon was full and that any other time was just a waste. Now with my fresh encouragement, I was off and determined more than ever to catch the pesky pest. Taking to the woods, with razor focus and a Glad bag, I chanted Oooga Oooga and would jiggle my bag, Oooga Oooga and jiggle my bag. Nothing other than some critters off in the distance and the occasional dog bark. This went on for a few days and it bothered me quite a bit so, I talked to my friends and asked them if they ever caught one. It would seem that every one of them put to death several snipe. They could see the turmoil on my face and so, they offered up some suggestions; maybe my deodorant scent was scaring them off or maybe my northern accent didn’t sound right to the snipe and that it couldn’t understand me.

All points made sense to me and for the next few months I gave it my best. Stinky pits and my new Gomer Pyle accent I repeated Oooga Oooga and would jiggle my bag, Oooga Oooga and would jiggle my bag. For years now I’ve tried raising my voice when I would repeated the call, just in case I whispered too quiet. I’ve tried bait. I’ve tried different colored filters on my flashlight and nothing seems to be working.
One of these days I’m going to have to Google snipe hunt but for now I’m going to continue to jiggle my bag in the woods.

Oooga Oooga!
OMG ! The exalted Snipe Hunt ! I can remember more than one night involved in that shenanigan . Illinois has trophy size Snipe ! :zany Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:35 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:58 am
Doc Dan if you would go back and re-read what I wrote you would see that is exactly what I was saying. Both my parents lived through the Great Depression. My mother was from Mississippi and my day was a Missouri Native. Both parents told me that most of the wildlife in both states were killed out because people were extremely desperate for something to eat. My dad even told me that him and his brother were even killing song birds for something to eat. So it goes without saying that many of the native wildlife here in Missouri were eradicated for a long period of time. That's the point I was trying to get across. I wasn't in any way trying to indicate that fellow forumite "Mushroom" was lying. Because at one time that was the truth. Heck the deer population in Missouri as recent as the 1960s were few and far between. I can personally remember when I killed my first deer in the mid 70s that it was something big to be bragged about. Heck now killing a deer is the equivalent to killing a quail or cottontail rabbit. I have no way of proving it but I do believe that the present day Mountain Lions here In Missouri were put here to keep the deer population in check. Because they are getting too numerous in many of the state and national forests especially. Please don't take me out of context.

However there was a small remnant of white-tail deer and black bear but they were deep in the Ozark forests and all the way up to the 50s and 60s seeing one was a major event. As I was saying there was a time when Grizzly Bear, Elk, Buffalo (Bison), Wolves (all North American species) and to a small degree even pronghorn antelope were all native to that state of Missouri. But I can tell you that as a kid growing up in the 1960s seeing a deer was a rare thing. And I didn't hear of any Mountain Lions in this state till about the early to mid 90s. And I've been an avid hunter since I was 12 years old. Now deer are coming into people's back yards at night to eat.

If you read what I originally wrote in my previous post you'll see that I made that clear.
The thing is though, you didn’t make anything clear. It’s actually still not clear what you meant. No one is taking what you said out of context either. You said mountain lions are invasive to Missouri - but they’re not. I’ll ask again, what is it that you “beg to differ?” That they’re not invasive or that there aren’t breeding populations in Missouri?

Lets make one thing clear - mountain lions are not an invasive species in Missouri.

I don’t actually know if there are any breeding populations in the state at the moment. I would’ve assumed there isn’t regardless of sightings becoming more frequent. The Missouri state Department of Conservation claims there aren’t any active breeding populations right now, but again I don’t personally know for certain. I can only trust what the appropriate authorities tell me in this situation.
The point I was making is that Mountain lions were totally eradicated from the State of Missouri for quite a long time>> and several Missouri Natives agree with me that they really didn't return until about the early to mid 90s. My dad lived here in this state all his life and he said there were no mountain lions on either side of the state going all the way back to the early 1900s. And that's what I've had several people from that era tell me as well.

So I think it's fair to say that after they had been eradicated for so long that they can now be viewed as an invasive species. Because at some point they were no longer part of the landscape here in this state>> and that was a long long time ago. Maybe not in the sense of someone bringing an African animal to the state or from any other part of the globe for that matter. Because for all intent and purposes they were no longer part of the flora and fauna of the state of Missouri. I think anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see the point I was making. I most certainly wasn't trying to put words in anyone's mouth or creating a false scenario. Because for 2 or maybe 3 generations there were no Mountain Lions in this state period.

Hey dude we can have a civil conversation without you becoming caustic or arrogant about it. And I doubt if you have any more expertise on the subject than I do for that matter. I think everyone here gets my point and I have no doubt that you fully understand what I was getting at. And I also think it's also fair to say that Buffalo (Bison), Grizzly Bears, Elk, Pronghorn Antelope and about a dozen other members of the animal kingdom are no longer residents of this state. And I think it's accurate to say that they are no longer native animals to this state. Yeah Elk have been reintroduced in the past few years. But heck they were eliminated for well over 150 years at least that I'm aware of>> maybe even longer than that.

If you want to call an animal a Native of this state I guess you could be really ridiculous and say that T-Rex, Pterodactyl, Stegosaurus, and probably 20 other ancient dinosaurs are too if you look at it from that angle. Even though all those creatures were considered extinct and eradicated long before any of us were here on planet earth. Have a good day
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ok, if that’s how you want to view them that’s fine by me.

Going forward I will just to keep in mind that your personal definition of what is an invasive species, is different from what I’ve learned.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Alligator Breaks Through Metal Fence With Ease

This is off-topic for this thread, because alligators are obviously not an invasive species in Florida. But this is impressive, and something I hadn't thought about before.

https://youtu.be/k67hsRXcLjA

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

American Alligators and American Crocodiles aren’t invasive to Florida but Nile Crocodiles are!

Apparently there are now Nile Crocodiles living in the Everglades and there is real possibility that they could establish a breeding population! I suppose it’s just yet another type of man eater in Florida to watch out for but they’re still very dangerous, none the less.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:44 pm
American Alligators and American Crocodiles aren’t invasive to Florida but Nile Crocodiles are!

Apparently there are now Nile Crocodiles living in the Everglades and there is real possibility that they could establish a breeding population! I suppose it’s just yet another type of man eater in Florida to watch out for but they’re still very dangerous, none the less.

Thanks for the info. I had known about the American crocodiles, but hadn't been aware of Nile crocodiles living in the everglades. Oh, no. Hopefully they don't outcompete/displace the native species.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:33 pm
Mushroom wrote:

Thanks for the info. I had known about the American crocodiles, but hadn't been aware of Nile crocodiles living in the everglades. Oh, no. Hopefully they don't outcompete/displace the native species.

Jim
It's kind of strange that those American Crocodiles just can't seem to get a more robust population as the American Alligator has done over the years. As a general rule Crocs seem to be just a bit meaner and more aggressive than the Alligator species. For whatever reason it seems like the hatchling crocs seem more vulnerable to predation for whatever reason. I've been told that the "Marlin" fish species really likes to feast on young Crocs>> why I'm not sure.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Jim

Jim,

There is an old but very true saying.

"Humans can and will screw anything up"

ALL of the invasive species here in North America have been brought here by humans.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nile Crocs?
That's wonderful- that's a game changer.
That's the worst possible thing they could put in those everglades.......good greif
Once saw a Nile Crocodile bite off a Zebras face
I think they have the most powerful bite force
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:08 am
Nile Crocs?
That's the worst possible thing they could put in those everglades.......good greif

Yeah, they are much different and larger.

Not something to mess around with.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:11 am
MacLaren wrote:
Nile Crocs?

Yup, & far more aggressive
As I'm sure you know, Jim
What an ******* to put those things there
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:21 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:11 am
MacLaren wrote:
Nile Crocs?

Yup, & far more aggressive
As I'm sure you know, Jim
What an ******* to put those things there

It was done on purpose for sure, no doubt.

It's not like they swam across ocean on their own to get here.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:08 am
James Y wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Jim

Jim,

ALL of the invasive species here in North America have been brought here by humans.

Jim

Yup.

I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots eventually bring over some juvenile salt water crocodiles from Australia, and release them for kicks. Or to "set the animals free."

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:40 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:08 am
James Y wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Yup.

I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots eventually bring over some juvenile salt water crocodiles from Australia, and release them for kicks. Or to "set the animals free."

Jim

Jim,

Wouldn't surprise me either with the way people are. :eye-roll

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My little brother was telling me of a guy he knew, not actually a friend per se, but he made a post on Face Book about getting a Gaboon Viper as a "pet"
Pet my ***.....what the hells wrong with people?
The same people also have Black Mambas & Taipans, Cobras, etc....those snakes are truly deadly, especially the Mamba & Taipans.....and the Gaboon VIper. ****, I would die of heart attack just seeing its fangs!! (The Gaboon Vipers fangs, that is lol)
If I ever see a poisonous snake I'll either shoot it or cut its **** head off. Period.
Fortunately for me, I've never even saw one before, not even a Copper Head. I reckon that ls because of where I live. At any rate, I don't like poisonous snakes.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:14 am
My little brother was telling me of a guy he knew, not actually a friend per se, but he made a post on Face Book about getting a Gaboon Viper as a "pet"
The same people also have Black Mambas & Taipans, Cobras, etc....those snakes are truly deadly, especially the Mamba & Taipans.....and the Gaboon VIper. ****, I would die of heart attack just seeing its fangs!! (The Gaboon Vipers fangs, that is lol)
If I ever see a poisonous snake I'll either shoot it or cut its **** head off. Period.
Fortunately for me, I've never even saw one before, not even a Copper Head. I reckon that ls because of where I live. At any rate, I don't like poisonous snakes.

Nobody ever said some people are smart. :rofl

There are so many Darwin award types out there. :eye-roll

I do think social media is making it worse too.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:26 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:14 am

Nobody ever said some people are smart. :rofl

There are so many Darwin award types out there. :eye-roll

I do think social media is making it worse too.
You know what, your exactly right, Jim. Social media is making it a lot worse. I need to stay off of it, lol