Exotic Animals Invading USA Wilderness Areas

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Exotic Animals Invading USA Wilderness Areas

Post by MacLaren »

Man, the only time I ever saw Steve Irwin "sweat bullets" was with a Black Mamba in Africa. That Mamba was just incredible! Insanely strong & fast. He came very close to being bitten..
Gosh, I miss Steve Irwin. I loved watching his channel more than any other. Of course, I didn't watch hardly any TV back in those days but, I always watched Steve Irwin when I could.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:47 am
Man, the only time I ever saw Steve Irwin "sweat bullets" was with a Black Mamba in Africa. That Mamba was just incredible! Insanely strong & fast. He came very close to being bitten..
Gosh, I miss Steve Irwin. I loved watching his channel more than any other. Of course, I didn't watch hardly any TV back in those days but, I always watched Steve Irwin when I could.
Yeah I remember that exact show you're talking about. He went into a native hut/home and there was a Black Mamba in there that was between 6 to 7 feet long. He had a difficult time getting it out of the hut. Nobody that I ever seen over the years
could handle snakes or any other dangerous reptiles like Steve Irwin could.

I always thought it would be one of those neurotoxic snakes that would take him out>> but of all things a stingray. :hot-face Who would have thunk it? Yeah I would like to see one of those snake handling churches get a box of Black Mambas and Taipans and see how soon their service would end. I don't think those types of snakes would put up with people like those pit vipers seem to.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Steve Irwin was a childhood idol for me, and I know I’m not alone. He was the most captivating and heartfelt host of any TV show I’ve ever seen. His commitment to conservation has inspired generations!

Heres the clip of Steve Irwin with the Black Mamba

Ever heard of “The Venom Man?” He’s become nearly immune to snake venom through exposure to being bitten so often and his body can handle multiple black mamba bites at a time.

-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:15 am
I always thought it would be one of those neurotoxic snakes that would take him out>> but of all things a stingray. :hot-face Who would have thunk it?

I loved Steve Irwin, too.

Unfortunately, I wasn't surprised by the way he died. He genuinely loved animals, but I got the impression that in some ways, his attitude had become a bit cavalier when it came to being around and handling wild animals, especially potentially dangerous ones. I saw him take a lot of unnecessary, dangerous risks for his show, which was part of what endeared him so much of his audiences.

But any wild animal can be unpredictable. And like many who have gotten killed while engaging in risky activities, it's often the mundane things that seem to present the least risks that end up getting them in the end.

I wish it hadn't happened and that he was still around. But Steve Irwin's tale is a cautionary one that you must always maintain respect and vigilance with wild animals. By 'respect', I mean respect for what they are capable of, and how they may perceive you. As he was coming up behind the large (6' 5") stingray, it couldn't have known that he wasn't a predator when it jabbed him in the heart with its barb to protect itself. Stingrays are no joke.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thats the first Steve Irwin slander I've ever heard in my life. (Hopefully the last.) His “tale” is far, far greater than the story of his death and it is utterly disrespectful to deduce his legacy to just that. He deserves nothing but praise for the passionate conservation and education work he did.

I like this thread and I don't want to derail it anymore than I just have, so ill it leave by saying the circumstances surrounding his death do not equate to him disrespecting any animals capabilities. It was tragic accident. May he rest in peace.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:26 pm
Thats the first Steve Irwin slander I've ever heard in my life. (Hopefully the last.) His “tale” is far, far greater than the story of his death and it is utterly disrespectful to deduce his legacy to just that. He deserves nothing but praise for the passionate conservation and education work he did.

I like this thread and I don't want to derail it anymore than I just have, so ill it leave by saying the circumstances surrounding his death do not equate to him disrespecting any animals capabilities. It was tragic accident. May he rest in peace.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful or "slander" him in any way. How did I slander him? l was simply pointing out that although I do respect him for what he has done for animals and for conservation and wildlife education, that doesn't change the fact that you always have to be extremely careful when approaching wild animals. Steve Irwin knew that, but even the best of people make mistakes. And often those tragic mistakes happen under the most benign-seeming circumstances, precisely because they weren't expected. That's all I'm going to add to that.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:24 pm
Steve Irwin was a childhood idol for me, and I know I’m not alone. He was the most captivating and heartfelt host of any TV show I’ve ever seen. His commitment to conservation has inspired generations!

Heres the clip of Steve Irwin with the Black Mamba

Ever heard of “The Venom Man?” He’s become nearly immune to snake venom through exposure to being bitten so often and his body can handle multiple black mamba bites at a time.

Oh man, Nick! I hadn't seen this in years! Makes me sweat bullets too!
Thanks for posting this. There will never be another Steve Irwin!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Had to post this....incredible pic of a Black Mamba
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I live on the Ohio River, and the Asian Carp have taken it over. It's truly sad to see the ruination of our bass and catfish habitat and it's in the Ky. Lake region now as well.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:25 am
I live on the Ohio River, and the Asian Carp have taken it over. It's truly sad to see the ruination of our bass and catfish habitat and it's in the Ky. Lake region now as well.
Yeah, Manixguy said they took over the Illinois as well.
Last edited by MacLaren on Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:24 am
The Asian Carp has invaded the Illinois River
Yep.

They are now upsetting the Ohio river and Kentucky Lakes region.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:12 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Yep.

There are plans to open a facility to process the Carp . They have had a negative effect on the Illinois . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:23 am
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Yep.

There are plans to open a facility to process the Carp . They have had a negative effect on the Illinois . MG2
I'm sorry, I meant to say Illinois- didn't mean to misquote ya
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Yep.

There are a few facilities, and someone is opening another new one in Cairo, which would be great for that little town.

The Ky. Lakes region is all about tourism, fishing and money and has been hit hard. They've spent a ton of money on sound barriers and other such nonsense, but it looks like killing them is the only answer.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:02 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Yep.

There are a few facilities, and someone is opening another new one in Cairo, which would be great for that little town.

The Ky. Lakes region is all about tourism, fishing and money and has been hit hard. They've spent a ton of money on sound barriers and other such nonsense, but it looks like killing them is the only answer.
I could be wrong but the facility I heard about was going to be somewhere between Havana and Peoria . We still have commercial fishing in this area . What town are you near ? MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I'm down near Metropolis/Paducah.

Two Rivers Fisheries is the largest Asian Carp Processor in the Country, having facilities in Wickliffe and Eddyville.

https://www.tworiversfisheries.com/

I don't remember who is opening one in Cairo, which is at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No real way to get rid of carp once they are there. I lived on a nice reservoir in Michigan that was filled with carp. They drained it one year and poisoned the river. They filled it and restocked with native fish and the carp out grew and out bred the natives and that whole thing just made it worse.

As a kid I saw almost 3 foot koi in lake erie when spending a summer on Kellys island. That was the late 60's. Huge goldfish looking carp. There were thousands of dead ones on the beach and even more in the lake.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:01 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:17 am
We have problems in Arizona with people dumping pets in desert or lakes.
What types of critters were they dumping? Arizona is already full of snakes ( especially Rattlesnakes). I do hope that Pythons and Anacondas don't get started in the Arizona deserts like they have in the Florida swamps. Many animals wouldn't survive the harsh environments of the Arizona deserts. But it is important to prevent invasive species of any type.

It's truly becoming a national problem to be sure. The delicate balance of nature in these National Parks could easily get out of hand. Mainly because no one is allowed to hunt there. Also National Parks have millions of hiding places that would protect all kinds of invasive species.
The Arizona climate is very hard to survive. Pythons and other large constrictors of that nature would be unable to survive due to the dry climate. However invasive species could take great advantage of our artificially made lakes. Insects could also be a potential problem. I know there are also some invasive plants here I can’t specifically tell you which ones but I know there’s a tree here that is invasive.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:21 am
I'm down near Metropolis/Paducah.

Two Rivers Fisheries is the largest Asian Carp Processor in the Country, having facilities in Wickliffe and Eddyville.

https://www.tworiversfisheries.com/

I don't remember who is opening one in Cairo, which is at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers.
Thank you , I have hunted years ago in the Shawnee outside of McClure . Beautiful area . I live In Mackinaw on the edge of the bottoms . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:19 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Murphy Slaw wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Yep.

I'm sorry, I meant to say Illinois- didn't mean to misquote ya
Yeah some of these invasive fish species truly give me the creeps. Especially those Snakehead predator fish and those certain species of carp that jump right into people's boats on certain rivers. You got to wonder what idiot(s) ever started that insanity with invasive fish species to begin with?

I personally found an invasive snake species in North Missouri back in the year 2006. At that time I was working in a North Missouri wetlands project. I spoke of finding a dead venomous snake on a lonely country road in 2006 I think it was that was run over by a vehicle. It was most definitely a venomous snake that had two wicked fangs and a head similar to that of a cottonmouth. But the farmers I showed the dead snake to at that time had never seen one of them before. The creepy thing about getting bitten by a venomous snake that you can't identify is that they wouldn't know what anti-venom to give you in the event of a wet bite.

I am hearing of more and more invasive species in my home state of Missouri and reports of mountain lions are becoming very frequent pretty much all over the state in the past 3 to 4 years.