Exotic Animals Invading USA Wilderness Areas

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mushroom

Re: Exotic Animals Invading USA Wilderness Areas

Post by Mushroom »

Colorado will be transferring 30-50 grey wolves from other northern Rocky Mountain states, such as Wyoming, into the Colorado Western Slope beginning in 2024.
https://www.hcn.org/articles/wolves-col ... n-released

“The greatest challenges associated with wolf restoration and wolf management are primarily going to come from social and political issues rather than biological issues.”

Now it is said that wolves have not had an established population in Colorado since the 1940’s but because they’re historically native to the area, there are no negative repercussions to the environment that result from them being there. In other words, they’re not invasive.

Personally I can understand the argument from both sides, on whether or not to reintroduce wolves to the state. As someone with no dog in the fight, (pun intended) I understand the potential dangers they pose to human life but I still probably would have voted in favor of reintroducing them to the state.

Clip from Joe Rogan’s podcast discussing the topic with guest Cliff Gray -

———

I’m guessing most voters were romanticized by this video about Wolves changing the rivers in Yellowstone - It’s a great video; definitely an inspiring story. It really speaks to the importance of having complete healthy ecosystems.

This video is worth watching exponentially more than that Joe Rogan video.
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:35 pm
Alligator Breaks Through Metal Fence With Ease

This is off-topic for this thread, because alligators are obviously not an invasive species in Florida. But this is impressive, and something I hadn't thought about before.

https://youtu.be/k67hsRXcLjA

Jim
Those aluminum fences are quite soft and easily bent. We have one on the back yard to keep the dogs from escaping into the swamp. I just spent Saturday bending one back into a fence-like shape after dropping a tree on it. :flushed
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:26 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:35 pm
Alligator Breaks Through Metal Fence With Ease

This is off-topic for this thread, because alligators are obviously not an invasive species in Florida. But this is impressive, and something I hadn't thought about before.

https://youtu.be/k67hsRXcLjA

Jim
Those aluminum fences are quite soft and easily bent. We have one on the back yard to keep the dogs from escaping into the swamp. I just spent Saturday bending one back into a fence-like shape after dropping a tree on it. :flushed

Thanks, that explains a lot. I had thought the fence in the video was iron or something.

Jim
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, when operating in Northrrn Australia, my crew commander was attacked by a large Taipan that completely went out of its way to attack him.
VERY fast and insanely aggressive.
Only thing that saved him was throwing the toilet roll at it.
The strikes on the entrenching tool were quite loud.
He had a dump and was walking back through Spear Grass to our M113 when it saw him and attacked.
We were both very lucky that day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kiwisailor wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:14 pm
Hi, when operating in Northrrn Australia, my crew commander was attacked by a large Taipan that completely went out of its way to attack him.
VERY fast and insanely aggressive.
Only thing that saved him was throwing the toilet roll at it.
The strikes on the entrenching tool were quite loud.
He had a dump and was walking back through Spear Grass to our M113 when it saw him and attacked.
We were both very lucky that day.
Well KiwiSailor I find that most interesting. I've heard so many of the so-called experts say vehemently that snakes are not aggressive and will not attack if they can find a way to get away from you. That is total PoppyCock!!

One of my very best friends who is a retired Navy Officer told me of 2 incidents when venomous snakes literally chased him. Also I've got two other very trusted fishing buddies of years gone by who both swore to me that a Cottonmouth Water Moccasin gave them scary chase. So I do know that there are incidents when snakes get really brave and break the rules so to speak.

But it does cause you to wonder what might have made the snakes get brave like that. It has never yet happened to me and I've encountered dozens of snakes over the years.

Those Taipans are in the Elapid family of snakes>> the same family that Black Mambas, Cobras and Kraits are in>> and I've heard at least a half a dozen accounts of Black Mambas chasing people over the years. I also seen a Black Mamba deliberately envenomate a lioness that was sleeping on film. GOD help us if any of those snakes in the Elapid family ever get started here in the USA
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I've never been chased by a moccasin myself, but I believe the stories. They don't run away or hide like other breeds; they just open that mouth wide and let you know they'll bite. Even the itty-bitty ones.
- Richard
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I had to deal with a moccasin at the house a couple years ago. I would not call it overly aggressive, but they do not run away. They will stand their ground. Once provoked, like trying to get it into the pest controllers bag, it did try to drive me off by taking a run at me. But, from its point of view, it had been well and truly provoked.

Anyway, sorry to keep derailing this thread.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Thinking the Taipan story was pointing out that it would not be good for it to naturalize in some other country.

As a teen, I apparently intruded on a Louisiana cottonmouth’s territory. It went at me for about a minute then retreated.

Clearly the most dangerous introduced species in Colorado is man. Check out some of the thumb-hole knives made there.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Im a Florida transplant, been here about 20 years. Ive never seen such weird bugs and animals before.

A couple weeks ago in the drive through at KFC there was 2 big lizzards with a red/orange head and tail. A quick Google search says it was an Agama from Africa.

Yesterday on the news they are talking about giant African snail invasion.

Pythons, yes these things get huge, 18-20' and weigh a couple hundred pounds. When I first came here there was a picture on the news showing one that swallowed an alligator and busted open.

Iguanas, I was driving to Miami in the city and all along a canal they were every where standing in the grass.

Lionfish, yes that poison fish in your aquarium, is invading coral reefs here eating all the good fish. I have heard its good eating after you remove the poison spikes.

Bufo toads, every place ive lived here, after dark when the outside lights are on the come out to eat bugs and hop into my garage. They have poison glands on their head and can may a dog sick or kill it.

Crocodiles, heard there was Nile Crocs here breeding with the American ones, never seen any Croc yet,,,,

Aquarium fish, theres a spot to pull over on the way to Miami to view alligators over a boardwalk. looking down there is 100's of Oscars in the water. I was fishing in a canal once and caught what I believe was a firemouth cichlad.

Tilapia, another trash fish.

Some of these invasive species were put here by the Govt to combat a different species.

They are putting GMO mosquitoes out to kill the others.

Ever see that commercial when I was a kid, lightning strikes and they say never mess with mother nature!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:01 pm
Colorado will be transferring 30-50 grey wolves from other northern Rocky Mountain states, such as Wyoming, into the Colorado Western Slope beginning in 2024.
https://www.hcn.org/articles/wolves-col ... n-released

“The greatest challenges associated with wolf restoration and wolf management are primarily going to come from social and political issues rather than biological issues.”

Now it is said that wolves have not had an established population in Colorado since the 1940’s but because they’re historically native to the area, there are no negative repercussions to the environment that result from them being there. In other words, they’re not invasive.

Personally I can understand the argument from both sides, on whether or not to reintroduce wolves to the state. As someone with no dog in the fight, (pun intended) I understand the potential dangers they pose to human life but I still probably would have voted in favor of reintroducing them to the state.

Clip from Joe Rogan’s podcast discussing the topic with guest Cliff Gray -

———

I’m guessing most voters were romanticized by this video about Wolves changing the rivers in Yellowstone - It’s a great video; definitely an inspiring story. It really speaks to the importance of having complete healthy ecosystems.

This video is worth watching exponentially more than that Joe Rogan video.
This is Hilarious! In Belgium we are in the same situation!
Sad part is Belgium is so densely populated its like putting wolves on the island of Manhattan and our country is probably smaller them some Americans there back yards.
But because we did have wolves several hundreds of years ago so our so called “green” fella’s want them back! Now we have around 20 to 30 wolves already in about 2/3 years and the only thing they do is eat peoples lifestock and pets. Horses , sheep , lama’s , dogs ,… all bit the dust already. Because they are to lazy to hunt wildlife.
The public wants them gone but i fear we have to wait until the first child has died before we finally can get them to shoot to critters. Because catching them will cost to much money for our government so that will definitely be out of the question…
So many creatures will die in the end all because some environmental idiots again want something that is not realistic…
What is next put out some black bears? Will be fun walking my dogs go left get eaten by a wolf go right a bear… oh and unlike you folks in the US we can not have guns to defend ourselves… :rofl
James Y

Post by James Y »

Not in the USA, but...

https://youtu.be/Hg3NrxYvnLM

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:04 pm
Not in the USA, but...

Jim
I mentioned this on page 2, as well. It’s really incredible that an animal like that could ever establish itself as an invasive species. To go from four hippos to what it’s reportedly at now is just insane.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:50 pm
James Y wrote:
Not in the USA, but...

Jim
I mentioned this on page 2, as well. It’s really incredible that an animal like that could ever establish itself as an invasive species. To go from four hippos to what it’s reportedly at now is just insane.

Thanks, yes, I remembered your post. I agree it's amazing that they could become invasive. It's not as if they can be elusive and hide themselves easily, like wild pigs can.

I would imagine if they really wanted to, the authorities could put them in zoos, or wildlife refuges. I can't see the hippos being repatriated all the way back to whichever African country they originated from.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Not in the USA, but...

Jim
YES SIR!! The Cocaine Hippos!!. But I do find some aspects of the Hippo Invasion of Columbia to be quite interesting. It doesn't seem like the transplanted Hippos are nearly as dangerous as their African counterparts. Whereas over in Africa the Hippos are usually responsible for more than 500 human deaths per year.

But I still wouldn't want to get too close to their pod. Those rascals have a mouth almost as big as a Volkswagen>> and they can run like a greyhound.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:39 am
Mushroom wrote:
James Y wrote:
Not in the USA, but...

Jim

Thanks, yes, I remembered your post. I agree it's amazing that they could become invasive. It's not as if they can be elusive and hide themselves easily, like wild pigs can.

I would imagine if they really wanted to, the authorities could put them in zoos, or wildlife refuges. I can't see the hippos being repatriated all the way back to whichever African country they originated from.

Jim

Jim,

Hippos don't have any natural enemies that prey on them other than Crocs.

They are just too large.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:39 am
Mushroom wrote:
James Y wrote:
Not in the USA, but...

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Hippos don't have any natural enemies that prey on them other than Crocs.

They are just too large.

Jim

Jim,

True. And I've even seen footage of hippos killing crocodiles, too.

I think I once I did see footage of an elephant killing a hippo. Or it could have been a rhino, forget which.

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:28 am
James Y wrote:
Not in the USA, but...

Jim
YES SIR!! The Cocaine Hippos!!. But I do find some aspects of the Hippo Invasion of Columbia to be quite interesting. It doesn't seem like the transplanted Hippos are nearly as dangerous as their African counterparts. Whereas over in Africa the Hippos are usually responsible for more than 500 human deaths per year.

But I still wouldn't want to get too close to their pod. Those rascals have a mouth almost as big as a Volkswagen>> and they can run like a greyhound.
That’s comparing an isolated population of about 100 hippos to an entire continents worth of hippo populations. For each hippo in Colombia there is 1000 hippos in Africa. It makes perfect sense why they’re not as lethal in Colombia even though they’re still just as dangerous.
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/hB2YoUtOG7A

Jim
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Yes theres a monkey population here in Florida, I think north of me.

I was going to tell my water moccasin story.

I was working at a house that I have known the owner for years.

I went there one day and he told me the day before an AC guy was there and came running/screaming into the front door. A water Moccasin chased him inside and was on the sidewalk striking at the glass on the door.

He called a pest guy and they sprayed around the house to keep frogs away. Pest guy said the snake was around trying to eat tree frogs. He had a Lake behind the house and also talked about how loud the alligators were at night.

This was in a high end golf community
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 pm
Yes theres a monkey population here in Florida, I think north of me.

I was going to tell my water moccasin story.

I was working at a house that I have known the owner for years.

I went there one day and he told me the day before an AC guy was there and came running/screaming into the front door. A water Moccasin chased him inside and was on the sidewalk striking at the glass on the door.

He called a pest guy and they sprayed around the house to keep frogs away. Pest guy said the snake was around trying to eat tree frogs. He had a Lake behind the house and also talked about how loud the alligators were at night.

This was in a high end golf community
Over the years I have been told at least 6 stories that I can collectively remember of Cottonmouth Water Moccasin snakes chasing people in an aggressive manor. On several nature TV shows about snakes I have also heard of more that one account of Black Mamba snakes over in Africa doing virtually the same thing. My point being that there is not an iron clad rule about snakes not being aggressive but rather had run from people. I have also heard of some species of Cobras giving people chase as well.

And this shows that I'm not the only person that believes that. I do believe that some species of snakes will chase you under the right circumstances. I just hope we don't get exotic "elapid snake" species started here in the USA. We've got enough headaches with what we already have.