Shaving Soap\Can Foam Blues.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Shaving Soap\Can Foam Blues.

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I just had some interesting safety razor shaves the last few days and I am very perplexed. Forgive me if I rant a bit. But I am not the best on this subject. And relatively new to wet shaving with a safety razor.
I tried some $5 shaving soap. And I have sensitive skin. Especially in the winter. Even taking a shower in Neutrogena soap free lotion cleanser sometimes makes me feel dry and itchy.
Anyways, the soap I used has great slickness. But even after 2 passes with my King C Gillette safety razor. I still feel a bit of stubble. And I noticed my face feeling dried out after rinsing off with cold water. But zero razor burn.
So today I went back to canned Barbasol for sensitive skin. I did one pass on my face and had 95% less stubble. I could not believe it.
But here is the kicker. I had no cuts but unlike the soap. I had some mild razor burn.Nothing my Aqua Velva could not fix. I properly mixed the Barbasol in a mug with a small bit.of hot water for added lubrication and softening of facial hair.
And my skin still feels a bit dry. Although not as bad as with soap.
Anyways, I can't believe I got a closer better shave with cheap Barbasol than with shaving soap. But I did notice some razor burn with the Barbasol compared to none with soap.
Does anyone know of a cream or product that is super slick and non drying?
I basically get a better shave with canned foam. But with soap I get no razor burn. But both dry my face out like the Sahara desert.
I want to avoid soaps if possible due to my skin sensitivity issues.
Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Re: Shaving Soap\Can Foam Blues.

Post by RustyIron »

Josh, I've been using products from one company for about twelve years. I need something that isn't absurdly expensive, gives a good shave, is nice to my skin, and has a pleasant fragrance.

History: A family of Italian soap makers was jacked over as a result of WW2. After the war, they regrouped and started making artisanal products using natural ingredients that were obtained locally. The company is called Saponifico Varesino, which translates loosely into "Italian Soap Guys..." or something like that. They make such a nice product that they're still around, despite competition from the mega-chemical-shaving companies.

Anyway, their shaving soap is soft and soothing, allowing for a great shave. Their after shave keeps my face feeling great after a shave, throughout the day it feels as if I was using a moisturizer, and the fragrances are well-balanced and subtle. When you look at their web page, the component fragrances of all their products are well described. It's helpful in picking out what you want.

After becoming spoiled on S.V., other shaving creams feel like paint remover on my face. Other after shaves just stink.

The one caveat of S.V. products is they don't come cheap. However, a puck of shaving soap lasts me about a year.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Double post. This time it's not my fault. Forum was being clunky.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

All I've ever used is Barbasol - I like it.
Edit- I've tried other stuff like Gillette & Noxema?
But, for 98% of the time I've used Barbasol
As for soap it's usually always Ivory.
I have also used Dial -the regular & spring water version before - but, I mainly use Ivory
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Forget the can. Get a brush, bowl, and some Mitchell's Wool Fat (ask me how to prep it). You will never have drying, again. It has lanolin and moisturizes really well.If you are allergic to lanlolin then don't use it. La Toja Sensitive Cream is also really good and cheaper and easier to lather. Just a fingernail sized dollop in a bowl is all you need.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I 2nd the mitchells.
Most of the others I’ve tried aren’t much better than using none at all.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:02 pm

Does anyone know of a cream or product that is super slick and non drying?
I've had good results with Nivea Shave Foam for sensitive skin and Nivea Soothing Post Shave Balm. Hope you find one you like.
- Richard
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm a brush and bowl shaver and I've never had issues either.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Poraso green tub shaving soap is one of the best for sensitive skin. Works well for me. I have a whole shelf of specialty shaving soaps and thats my go to.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

As a side note, read the ingredients on any foam can. That stuff is garunteed to irritate any skin, which is why it lists topical numbing agents in the ingredients. And carcinogens.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Seriously, get a Yaqi brush and a stick of La Toja cream. Wet the brush, shake it, swirl on the stick to load up really good, then put the brush on your face and start painting and swirling. If it is too dry, add a tiny bit of water to the tips and continue. In short order you will have slick, smooth lather. Set the brush aside, shave, and if needed, pick up the brush and relather your face and shave again. It takes no more time than a can, by the time you smear the canned foam on, smooth it, wash your hands, and get ready to shave.

La Toja is available at Walmart. There is also a tube of cream and that can be had in sensitive. A dollop the size of your thumbnail is more than enough for three passes. The soap quality is far superior to anything in a can. There is no comparison. There are many good ones, Speick comes to mind. Some like Arko (very cheap but dries my face a little but easy to lather).

(You can use a bowl, but it is just as easy to lather your face and build the lather there. )
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Been using D.R, Harris soap lately. Not very happy with it compared to Mitchells wool fat. Not nearly the cushion or slickness.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Razor Emporium has soap, brushes, and blades.

Sampler blade packs are cheap, and good way to find blade that work for you.

https://www.razoremporium.com/?gclid=Cj ... rgQAvD_BwE
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Maggards has soap, razors, brushes, et. al as well. Sampler packs, too. I've bought from them and Pasteur Shaving. https://maggardrazors.com/
https://pasteurshaving.com/

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

I couldn't get Mitchell's Wool Fat to lather worth a ****. Tried all sorts of different tips and tricks, including using distilled water, etc. Given the price point I would try something else before trying to make that work.

Proraso's Red is pretty easy to lather, but I also have dry skin and it seemed to irritate it as well.

I like Stirling's "Unscented with Beeswax" but I have the same issue with not getting a very close shave with it, though I don't get razor burn with it.

I also like Cremo, it's super slick, but doesn't seem to protect as much as I'd like. I would say the same about Van Der Hagen's shave butter, but the latter is really nice because it doesn't dry your skin out.

You may need to do multiple passes with whatever it is you like that doesn't leave you with razor burn. I would avoid against the grain, but try an across-the-grain pass
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennbr34 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:08 pm
I couldn't get Mitchell's Wool Fat to lather worth a ****. Tried all sorts of different tips and tricks, including using distilled water, etc. Given the price point I would try something else before trying to make that work.

There is a method for MWF. First, put the soap in the container you plan to use that has a lid or cover. Fill the container with water until it sits overnight (you only need to do this one time). The next day the soap should have swollen to fill the container. Pour off the excess water or use it for a pre-shave. Wet the brush then give it three medium shakes. Then, gently squeeze out any remaining water...one squeeze only. Next, load the brush. Since it is a new puck it will take a bit more loading than one used on a regular basis. Load at least 1 minute. Keep loading and I like to splay my brush a bit while loading after I have the tips good and loaded with soap. You will think you have too much soap, but you won't because the soap is so hard. After it is loaded more than you think it needs, start to build your lather in your shaving mug or on your face. You will get a good lather. If it is disappearing, you having built the lather well and need to keep going, or you don't have enough soap in your brush. Be patient. You will get the hang of it and the rewards are well worth the effort. Once the soap has been used a few times it will become easier to use.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:26 am
Maggards has soap, razors, brushes, et. al as well. Sampler packs, too. I've bought from them and Pasteur Shaving. https://maggardrazors.com/
I highly recommend Maggard Razors, they've been my primary source for wet shaving supplies since 2004. Bullgoose Shaving is also a good source, though not as extensive in inventory.

If you need more slickness from your shave soap, try adding a few drops of glycerin to your lathering bowl. For my soaps that need it, I add 4 drops while building my lather.

Look for soaps that use things like Shea butter, mango butter, avocado oil, etc. For me they're the best performers. In unscented, I use Chiseled Face Natural soap, A.S. splash & balm. For cool weather scents I like Noble Otter's "Thé Noir et Vanille" (black tea & vanilla), Pre de Provence Sage (now called Thyme) - the soap and A.S. balm are outstanding, the cream I'm not too thrilled with. Fine Accoutrements has great scents based on best selling colognes at reasonable prices with good performance. I like the Italian Citrus during warmer weather. They used to have two great vetiver lines but, sadly, discontinued both.
Ariana & Evans is another good performer, I really like their Asian Plum soap and A.S. balm. Their Vetiver Magnifique performs just as well but the scent is a bit strong for my taste. Wholly Kaw's tallow base is another outstanding soap with great moisturizing, I use their Pompelmo (grapefruit) fairly often in warmer weather paired with Fine's Italian Citrus A.S. splash.

If you're looking for a good wet shaving Forum, I highly recommend Badger & Blade. Great members who are always willing to share their knowledge.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:19 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:26 am

If you're looking for a good wet shaving Forum, I highly recommend Badger & Blade. Great members who are always willing to share their knowledge.
There's at least three of us here that are members of that forum. Great place.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

kennbr34 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:08 pm
I like Stirling's "Unscented with Beeswax" but I have the same issue with not getting a very close shave with it, though I don't get razor burn with it.
Thanks for the info, I just ordered all 3 of their unscented shave soaps. MWF works great for me but if I can find another that performs as well, that's great... plus Stirling's is almost local to me.

I think you're right about needing extra pass to get the same closeness with soaps that have great cushioning, compared to ones that have little cushion, but I find the ones with little cushion are tedious to shave with, more likely to produce blood.

Everyone seems to have a different method to get MWF lathered, guess I'll add mine.
First, I use a 1 inch china bristle paint brush because all the traditional shave brushes I've tried just flop around like wet noodles, making it very difficult to get the lather whipped up.
.. Wet tip of brush and sling out excess water.
..Stir damp tipped brush on top of dry puck to get it saturated.
.. put a little water in the cup and start whipping.
..As it foams up and sticks to side of cup, add more water and continue to whip
..Continue adding water and whipping untill soap is mostly staying in bottom of cup
This could take several minutes.
Edit: just timed it. A little over 5 minutes from the time I started whipping till ready to lather my face.
At this point, that little bit of soap on the end of the brush will have probably filled your cup and maybe overflowed it ( I use a large 20 oz cup).
The soap should have a sheen to it.
It should slightly slowly droop at the point when sticking to side of cup and pulling the brush away.
It should look more like soft serve or yogurt rather than foam.
There should not be very many bubbles.

The end result is big thick creamy soap that goes on thick and allows the razor to glide across my face with great smoothness and no skipping or catching. I don't think I've ever nicked myself with this soap, something I can't say for the rest of them.

Anyway, that's the method that works best for me, for now.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Got the Stirling’s in yesterday and tried out the beeswax formula. It whipped up in half the time it takes mwf but only made about half the volume and didn't use as much water. The lather looked good, glossy sheen, creamy yogurt, few bubbles.
The shave was smooth, slick and I thought confident. At no time did I detect any catching or slipping.
I did not get as close a shave as I’m used to for reasons unknown. Maybe I was being a little cautious.
Skin was not dried out afterward, No burn or irritation.
So far so good but no conclusions until I’ve used it more.