So much for my Otanashi frame lock fix.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

So much for my Otanashi frame lock fix.

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Well my knife lasted a week before I could slip the lock by a gentle tap of the spine on the palm of my hand. So much for my last ditch fix. I tried cleaning out the frame lock cut out and back connection to lock of the blade with a Q tip soaked in alcohol. No dirt or grease. And no success.
I guess I will either use the secondary lock which I find uncomfortable to use and aggravating. Or give it away to someone on the forum.
I don't get it because there is absolute zero blade play and the lock will not budge from hand pressure on the spine. Some may think I am taking this too serious.
But from past experiences I have seen and personally been hurt by slipping locks as that indicates some kind of intolerance that only worsens over time. And not constructed correctly.
Since I tried to take it apart I won't sent it back to CRKT or sell it used. As I would not have a good conscious about that. Out of ideas and SOL. Guess I give it away or keep it and try to remember to constantly use the thumb ripping secondary safety lock.
Which is not ideal for the purpose of this knife and it's intended use.
In which a second or 2 of trying to fumble and use the secondary safety lock may result in the difference between life and death.
I may even be up to giving this to someone who likes to mod knives and let them take a crack at it.
RLR

Re: So much for my Otanashi frame lock fix.

Post by RLR »

Since you can't return, and probably shouldn't give it away if you think it isn't safe, try one last thing:

Take it apart and GENTLY bend the frame lock arm inward. That way there will be more pressure into the blade when it's locked. Note: detente will be tighter, so knife may be a little harder to open.

I've done this a few times and it always seems to get the job done. Don't over do it. Bend it a couple degrees more and try. You can always bend a little more, hard to unbend.