King C Gillette vs Van Der Hagen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

King C Gillette vs Van Der Hagen

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I just tried out my King C Gillette today and.all I can say is WOW! I started wet shaving and using safety razors about a week ago. I started off using the Van Der Hagen safety razor. I won't call it junk as peoples skin and preferences differ. But after using the King C Gillette. My shaving experience went from 2 star to 4 star. Even with razor burn from yesterday on my Van Der Hagen and a few small cuts. I just shaved with my Gillette and used a Gillette Platinum blade.
I got near zero redness and 80% less razor burn with no raised pimples. And no cut. Yeah my advice for those on a budget or new to.wet shaving is to invest in a Gillette or a better brand than Van Der Hagen.
For those who say it takes too long to shave with a safety razor. I say this. I did 2 passes soaping my face up in 6 minutes.
I really like this Gillette razor because it is pretty mild for those with sensitive skin like myself.
And a bit more forgiving if you press down too hard accidentally as opposed to letting the blade do the work. Now I got a brand new Van Der Hagen in box to give away or donate to charity.
I wish now I had bought the Gillette as opposed.to buying 2 Van Der Hagen safety razors. I am glad.to have found a decent entry level safety razor.for time being.
I am really enjoying shaving with a safety razor now. I have noticed a 75% improvement just from switching razors and using Gillette platinum blades.
CrustyOtter

Re: King C Gillette vs Van Der Hagen

Post by CrustyOtter »

I bought my first DE razor in 2004, a Merkur 37C slant bar. That was the same year I went down the straight razor rabbit hole. I enjoyed both but the slant bar made it difficult to cut my sideburns straight so I experimented with several other safety razors - and dozens of straights. I enjoy using both but most days I grab my favorite DE due to ease of maintenance and faster shave times.

I've currently slimmed down my DE collection to just my favorites:

1959 Gillette Fatboy: my daily driver. It's a twist to open, adjustable head so I can get a more aggressive shave if I've let my beard go for a few days or dial it in based on which blade I'm using.

1955 Gillette Super Speed Red Tip: twist to open head, the most aggressive of the SS line. Roughly equivalent to a Fatboy on "3."

Muhle R41 open comb head on a Webber Bulldog handle. Originally released in '94 - '96, the R41 was known as "The Beast" for it's unforgiving aggressiveness. Mine is from roughly 2014, much more tame but still great for fast bulk removal with a heavy beard. It shaves like a Fatboy on "8."

Feather Portable: a Gillette Travel Tech clone. An amazing razor in it's own right. The thin cap profile that makes it easy to shave the tight spots. It lives in my travel kit along with a Simpson Wee Scot brush, an excellent combination for traveling that takes up minimal space. I bought mine around 2006 for $25. 2 years ago they were selling on ebay for $200 - ridiculous prices. If you can find a vintage Gillette Travel Tech (or any Gillette Tech) in good condition for a reasonable price, I highly recommend them.

My go to blades are bulk packaged Israeli Personnas. mid-range sharpness with a very smooth edge that performs well in any razor I've tried. Similar to Gillette Silver Blues.

Japanese Feather blades: considered by many to be one of the sharpest blades on the market (along with KAI), I use them with the Fatboy dialed down to "2" where I use the IP set on "3" to "7".

Gillette Silver Blues: a solid performer similar to IP, I use them interchangeably based on my mood that day.

Vintage English Wilkinson Sword: the absolute best blades I've ever used. I was gifted a 5 pack when I bought a second hand Shavemac Finest brush and it blew me away. Sharper than IP/GSB but buttery smooth shaving. I have about 25 and use them for special occasions with my favorite soap, razor and brush.

It's all a deep, expensive rabbit hole to dive into but it can be very satisfying when you find the right gear. It turns the chore of shaving into something enjoyable and relaxing.

I highly recommend Maggard Razors and Bullgoose Shaving for any shaving gear you need. Both companies are top notch with great customer service. Maggard also carries samples that make it cheaper to try various soaps, aftershaves and blades without buying fullsize packages of something you might not like.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: King C Gillette vs Van Der Hagen

Post by Doc Dan »

The Gillette King is a pretty good razor and much better than the VDH. Gillette used to produce very good razors. Search Ebay for a Gillette Tech pre-1969 (I think). I can't remember when they changed the Tech slightly. It is a very mild razor yet gives a great comfortable shave. I have a 1946-1949 model I restored. One of my favorite razors, still. Sometimes you can find them new or nearly new for $30 or so.

The Tech is still made in other countries. They don't always label it as such but it is the same razor made by other companies because it was so good.

If you want to try a modern mild razor, get a Henson +. Great razor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050