The DODO is coming back!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mushroom

The DODO is coming back!

Post by Mushroom »

No, not the Spyderco Dodo but the real life Dodo bird! This is actually the third animal next to the Wooly Mammoth and Tasmanian Tiger being planned for “de-extinction” by Colossal Biosciences.
Scientific American wrote:“Founded in 2021 by tech entrepreneur Ben Lamm and Harvard University geneticist George Church, the company first said it would re-create the mammoth. And a year later it announced such an effort for the thylacine, aka the Tasmanian tiger. Now, with the launch of a new Avian Genomics Group and a reported $150 million of additional investment, the long-gone dodo joins the lineup.”
The full article can be found here - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -the-dodo/

And this is a short YouTube video from wildlife biologist Forrest Galante casually talking about the “de-extinction” plans.

I think it would be really cool for Spyderco to “de-extinct” their own Dodo specimen to coincide with the real bird.
-Nick :bug-red
mikey177

Re: The DODO is coming back!

Post by mikey177 »

So the new idiom will be "de-extinct as a Dodo"? :grin-smiling-eyes
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

May very well be possible with modern and future technology. I will take a de extinct Saber tooth Tiger.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The heck with the prehistoric bird I want to see at least 4 more renditions of the great Spyderco Dodo model.

I also would love to see a larger scale version of the Dodo. It's one older Spyder that would be great in a bigger size I"m sure.

Maybe Spyderco should do a Pterodactyl model. That's an ancient bird I always admired I can only imagine what a Spyderco Pterodactyl would look like.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'd like to see a living, breathing T-Rex. But that won't be happening in my lifetime, if ever. But IF scientists ever did, I highly doubt they would look or behave like the dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park movies. I bet that in reality, T-Rexes were quicker and a lot stealthier than they're depicted in the movies.

Jim