UPDATE! I FIXED IT. Any advice on fixing slipping framelock?u

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

UPDATE! I FIXED IT. Any advice on fixing slipping framelock?u

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I have a CRKT James Williams Otanashi who Non Ken which has the secondary lock system. My question is this. When I do a mild spine tap on my leg or hand. The knife It will slip. And yet I cannot force.the lock to slip by hand.
And the kicker is. When I clean the frame lock area with a.Qtip and alcohol. It locks up perfect. For every bit of 2 to 4 minutes. Then it will slip again unless I engage the secondary lock. No blade play at all. Can someone give me some advice on how to fix the slip problem or refer me to someone who can fix it for a.fee?
I don't want to deal with CRKT because their customer service is a long process. And I was not satisfied with past experiences.
Not to mention my Godmother bought this for me and I cherish it for that reason alone. Even though I am not a fan of CRKT.
Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
WyoJon

Re: Any advice on fixing slipping framelock?u

Post by WyoJon »

Dont ever spine tap a folding knife.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

WyoJon wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:23 pm
Dont ever spine tap a folding knife.
This knife closes from a light tap on my leg. Some of us take lock safety serious. I don't abuse my knives. But I do want to fix the weak lock on mine if that is OK with you Sir/Ma'am.
I asked a question about lock safety and possibility of fixing. Not to be judged.
The difference between slippies and locking knives is that slippies have spring tension to keep open. Where Locking knives have locks. If that lock fails it can result in serious injury. As the blade has no spring to keep it open as in a slip joint.
So my question remains.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Don't have any experience with those. Do you have some pictures or video? That may help. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that may be able to see a fix.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:40 pm
Don't have any experience with those. Do you have some pictures or video? That may help. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that may be able to see a fix.
I will make a video on it tomorrow and share it. Really bugs me because my godmother spent good money to get it for me. I normally would not mind. But I don't get it. Funny thing is when it is wet or I use alcohol. It will not unlock for a few minutes from a spine whack on the palm of my hand.
I don't have the heart to tell my Godmother it is defective. Every CRKT I ever owned had to be returned for work or exchange. This knife is almost new. And pushing on the spine it will not disengage.
Maybe if I call CRKT they will make it right. I'm not holding my breath on that though. I just prefer to fix it myself or pay someone to work on it.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:03 am
JSumm wrote:
I will make a video on it tomorrow and share it. Really bugs me because my godmother spent good money to get it for me. I normally would not mind. But I don't get it. Funny thing is when it is wet or I use alcohol. It will not unlock for a few minutes from a spine whack on the palm of my hand.
I don't have the heart to tell my Godmother it is defective. Every CRKT I ever owned had to be returned for work or exchange. This knife is almost new. And pushing on the spine it will not disengage.
Maybe if I call CRKT they will make it right. I'm not holding my breath on that though. I just prefer to fix it myself or pay someone to work on it.
You shouldnt play with knives while your wet and using alcohol!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yeah, I can see why that is frustrating Josh. Sentimental value is important. Maybe after you post a vid someone can see what is going on. If not, maybe CRKT can make it right. Let's hope.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:51 am
Yeah, I can see why that is frustrating Josh. Sentimental value is important. Maybe after you post a vid someone can see what is going on. If not, maybe CRKT can make it right. Let's hope.
I found the problem. Phosphor paint coating on the lockbar. Sanded it off with a piece of ultra fine grit sand paper and cleaned with a Q tip in rubbing alcohol. Locks perfectly and no slip from a small spine whack on the palm of my hand. I can't believe that such a minor thing could cause so much issue. I am so relieved.
I own some knives in the $300 to $400 range. But this one is my favorite due to my Godmother buying it for me.
JSumm

Re: UPDATE! I FIXED IT. Any advice on fixing slipping framelock?u

Post by JSumm »

Good for you! Yeah, those sentimental ones are important.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

WyoJon wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:40 am
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:03 am
JSumm wrote:
You shouldnt play with knives while your wet and using alcohol!
I wanted to experiment and try something kinky :purple-devil