What’s your thoughts on the new CS Kobun S35VN signature series?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
aicolainen

What’s your thoughts on the new CS Kobun S35VN signature series?

Post by aicolainen »

Just spotted this one in a knife center video from SHOT.
CS usually miss the mark for me. I appreciate their quality, and usually good value, but their target audience is very often a different type of knife guy.

This version of the Kobun though, just jumped across as a very useful design. In many ways it resembles a Fällkniven hunting knife (e.g. H1 or PHK) tweaked to my (perceived) preferences.

I’m thinking I’d actually like to try one of these if it shows up in Europe at a reasonable price.
I have a couple of Fällknivens, but I’ve not been able to justify the hunt specific models mentioned, so sadly I can’t do a comparison if this ever comes to fruition, but could be interesting in its own right.

Around the 7:50 marker for anyone interested:
kerrcobra

Re: What’s your thoughts on the new CS Kobun S35VN signature series?

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm in for one. That looks awesome.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Kobun looks OK to me. I like the steel, but I wonder where it is made and what the RC numbers look like.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My biggest reservation with anything new from CS these days is the company that now owns CS. GSM is a company focused on moving units and not a company focused on making great cutlery. Looks like Lynn still had some good stuff in the pipeline, but when those run out all you’ll see is junk with a terrible warranty. GSM’s first moves with CS and SOG where to layoff staff, reduce support, and change the warranty.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

All the knives I bought after the GSM acquisition have been up to par to the previous standards. I am thrilled that they're making a tanto in the more traditional styling.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

With GSMs acquisition, it was a little bit up in the air where CS would go.
I guess the jury is still out on that one, but from far out on the sideline where I’m standing, it doesn’t seem like they’re busy ruining the brand just yet. They probably paid a chunk of change for the company, so while they could crank the profit machine to twelve, make cheap crap and milk the name dry for all it’s worth, it’s probably more profitable long term to maintain the brand and stay true to its roots.
These things can obviously turn out good or bad, whatever the intention was or is. Moving knives is inherently good for a knife company though, and even the customer if it doesn’t come at the expense of quality/value. Revenue is also business opportunity.
GSM for all their alleged faults have some infrastructure in place that CS can benefit from. One of the first things that happened after the acquisition was that CS became available at a friends gun shop, which already had some business with other GSM subsidiaries. Anecdotal for sure, but it’s probably not far fetched to think that CS will reach more potential customers under GSM.

I heard some stories about customer support being hard to get hold of the first couple of weeks after the acquisition. That could be deliberate or transitional difficulties, I don’t typically have much interest in CS so I haven’t really paid attention to this issue since.
While it would be sad to see warranty weaken and customer support deteriorate, it’s pretty much a non-issue for us Europeans. Factory/manufacturer warranty is typically too much shipping cost and export/import paperwork to be worth the effort.

Anyways, if I find Cold steel models that appeals to me, I’ll continue to give them a chance and judge each knife on its own merits. If I notice a change in quality/value that may change, but I won’t dismiss them solely for having a new owner.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have a few and I like them, even the new ones. I'll keep buying them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There is some information to be had on how GSM handled the transition over in the CS forum on BF. On one of the threads there is a brief interaction with a GSM/CS rep which was not encouraging and was only to do damage control, otherwise they no longer have a presence on the forums.

They did change the warranty back to lifetime, so that’s a plus in their column.

They own SOG as well and I have still not received an order status on an order placed in October. Numerous attempts have only returned one boilerplate response. Maybe they’ll sort their mess out, but for now I’ll be on the sidelines watching.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I grew up as a cold steel fanboy in my childhood. And I don't like GSM or their discontinuing certain products, lackluster customer service, and downgraded steel on some knives while charging more.
But I will say that the Chaos Bowie, Counterpoint XL, Limited Edition Lynn Thompson Oyabun number 636, SRK San Mai, and Marauder Bowie from GSM era. Have all been well made. I even noticed that the Tri Ad Ad locks are not excessively stiff or hard to disengage on my SR1 Lite. I have got rid of a few old school Cold Steel knives because the lock was too stiff and would not break in.
That's not to say I prefer GSM. And I think they will ruin what remaining quality and good name Cold Steel built in due time.
But I cannot complain or find fault on any of my more recent GSM era Cold Steel knives.
As far as SOG go. I owned 2 of their folders and a machete. And they all went back for a refund pronto. I would trust and use a Frost or MTECH over any stinking SOG.