Salt Worthy Serrated Sharpener

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Vamais

Salt Worthy Serrated Sharpener

Post by Vamais »

I'm looking for a portable (like, carry around the neck portable), coarse* sharpener for maintaining serrated edges, that will not rust. Basically one that would be worthy of a "Salt" designation.

The idea is to be able to carry a small sharpener anywhere you would carry a Salt knife. It doesn't need to be very big. I'm thinking 2" long minimum. Just enough to get by when you don't have a larger, more efficient sharpener.

It must be neither too heavy nor too bulky. about 1/4 the bulk of a Lansky dogbone would be ideal.

If it's ceramic, it needs to be decently tough to prevent it breaking when it hits things.

A round diamond file would work if the diamonds were on a titanium rod (titanium so it doesn't rust). I don't know if any of these exist, though.

Anything with a small enough cross section I can cut down if it's too long. I can also attach my own handle if need be.

If anyone knows how to permanently apply diamond abrasive to a titanium rod, that would be awfully helpful.

Does anyone know if there is such a sharpener out there, or something I missed that would also work?

Thanks,
Vamais

*By "coarse", I mean about 200-320 grit.
-AHAB
WyoJon

Re: Salt Worthy Serrated Sharpener

Post by WyoJon »

This is coming from a guy who hates pocket sharpeners. Obviously the sharp maker is made to quickly sharpen serrations on a banch. So i make sure its sharp before I go out. Switching off knives makes this easier. However, spyderco does make a ceramic file set with lots of different shapes. The tear drop one looks like it would be just what you want. Or an old 701. I will put the spyderco pocket stone in medium grit in my hunting pack, but try not to use pocket stones.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

WyoJon wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 am
This is coming from a guy who hates pocket sharpeners. Obviously the sharp maker is made to quickly sharpen serrations on a banch. So i make sure its sharp before I go out. Switching off knives makes this easier. However, spyderco does make a ceramic file set with lots of different shapes. The tear drop one looks like it would be just what you want. Or an old 701. I will put the spyderco pocket stone in medium grit in my hunting pack, but try not to use pocket stones.
I've personally found that the Spyderco 701 Profiles as mentioned by this guy is a great option for a portable, field type sharpener for serrated edges. As far as a hand type, manual sharpening tool I don't currently know of anything else that could be the 701 Profile set ( fine & Medium).

Also those "Cat's Eye" type stones that come with the Spyderco Galley V kit would be another good option I would use in a pinch. Those "Cat's Eye" type stones have a lot of versatility to them. But ultimately having a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker in a back pack or field pack would be my #1 overall pick.

I'm hoping to see Spyderco coming out with more field sharpening tools for full SE blades.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

It wouldnt be hard to keep a sharp maker while out huntung. I just carry a couple spare knives and switch out when im quartering if one dulls. Since I carry a Helle Jagermeister I find it can last quartering out a mule deer without getting too dull. 12c26 scanvik steel laminated is a beautiful thing.

As for the issue of a sharp knife everyday, I like to sharpen a lot, so thats not an issue. But im sure most here will relate, having multiple daily carry knives, if I dull one, and dont have the time after work to touch it up, I just go to the next next knife.

Now rhat kind of brings up another interesting point, I wonder how many people use a spyderco folder for quartering game? Ive always preffered a fixed blade when im away from society. But my endura has ridden many thousands of miles through the mountains in my pocket on motorcycles. And it cleaned a few fish over the summer at the flaming gorge.