Where is the "Like" button?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Where is the "Like" button?

Post by Doc Dan »

All too often I read a post and I want to agree with it, or at least let the poster know I'm on the same side, and I don't feel like making a new post. I would dearly love to have a like button. Please, give us a like button.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rgc

Re: Where is the "Like" button?

Post by rgc »

"Like"
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

rgc wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:35 am
"Like"
+1
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:55 am
All too often I read a post and I want to agree with it, or at least let the poster know I'm on the same side, and I don't feel like making a new post. I would dearly love to have a like button. Please, give us a like button.

Another way of saying this is, "I like our forum, but the software isn't as good as Xenforo." I suspect that a transition wouldn't be as easy as just cutting out a check for the licensing.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s on Facebook and instagram… not here on a knife forum, where it does not belong.

The popularity contest a like button will turn this forum into will be its own demise.

Please do not ever add a discussion muffling like button to this great discussion forum.
-Nick :bug-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Though I think it is nice and agree that sometimes all I want to say is I like your post or I like your pic, I agree with Nick that it can at times become a popularity contest in our head. I also enjoy seeing what people have to say and here you are forced to get your thoughts out in writing to share. Takes a little anonymity out of the equation of just clicking the emoji that best fits your current thought. Though I don't think any negative of wanting one, I do think it is better to just state your thoughts. And I will just continue to hope and pray a joke landed right without seeing 🤣 under my post.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'm solidly with Nick on this one.

Like buttons do not support or encourage good discussion.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't need a like button.

Although there are times I like someone's post but have nothing of use to add. If they were responding to something I posted, I hope they don't feel like I'm ignoring them by not posting a response (I'm not).

I view the forum as sharing our interests, not a popularity contest. I doubt many members here even read or watch the stuff I post here, anyway.

😅

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Interesting. It never occurred to me people would think it was a popularity contest.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

It appears to me that social media is a popularity contest. This is one of the main reasons I have no social media other than this forum.
This forum seems to work well with the current formula. I see the way conversations go on other forums and am not a fan.
If it does come in, I hope it doesn’t change the spirit of this place.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:50 pm

Although there are times I like someone's post but have nothing of use to add. If they were responding to something I posted, I hope they don't feel like I'm ignoring them by not posting a response (I'm not).

I view the forum as sharing our interests, not a popularity contest. I doubt many members here even read or watch the stuff I post here, anyway.

😅

Jim
I read your posts ! Dan :smiling-cheeks
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:45 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:50 pm

😅

Jim
I read your posts ! Dan :smiling-cheeks

Why thank you, Dan! Hope you enjoy them.

🙂

Jim
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Keep the Like button away, otherwise this place will turn into BladeForums with a bunch of man babies running wild. 😁
Josh
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Ah, yes. The "like" button, for when you have nothing to add to the conversation but want to make sure everyone knows that you have nothing to add and are too lazy to say so. One more nail in the coffin of coherent communication. May this forum be the last place on Earth to adopt it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

No thanks . It would not work for me . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Maybe it's my lack of experience on social media, but it never occurred to me that a like button would be anything but a positive reinforcement of a comment in a thread. Like nodding your head when in conversation.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Those of us who avoid more modern social media will view a "like" button differently than those who spend their time on other platforms. I think our community could appropriately use a like button, but I'd err on the side of caution if forced to choose between adding it or avoiding it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

A like button should be avoided on this forum at all costs.

It seems so innocent but it will have lasting effects that will likely lead to this forums demise. This forum is such a great refuge from the rest of the internets negativity BECAUSE there is no like button.

Posts will no longer be judged on their merit but by the number of likes they have. People will look to the name that posted before looking to what is actually posted. It will cause unabated pandering and it will completely change how information is shared on this forum.

It adds no positive value to the forum. PLEASE, SPYDERCO, DO NOT EVER ADD A LIKE BUTTON TO THIS ALREADY GREAT FORUM.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:11 am
A like button should be avoided on this forum at all costs.

It seems so innocent but it will have lasting effects that will likely lead to this forums demise. This forum is such a great refuge from the rest of the internets negativity BECAUSE there is no like button.

Posts will no longer be judged on their merit but by the number of likes they have. People will look to the name that posted before looking to what is actually posted. It will cause unabated pandering and it will completely change how information is shared on this forum.

It adds no positive value to the forum. PLEASE, SPYDERCO, DO NOT EVER ADD A LIKE BUTTON TO THIS ALREADY GREAT FORUM.
Agree , why add something when what we have already on the Forum works so great ? MG2
Henry David Thoreau
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

👍
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.